News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Legalize It

Started by Recusant, January 18, 2020, 08:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

In this instance, as in so many others, the stuffed shirts in the federal government of the US are the true dopes. The people of the country suffer thereby.

"A Drop of Cannabis Oil Could Land This Pennsylvania Woman in Jail" | The Daily Beast

QuoteWhen Melissa Gass, a mother of five in central Pennsylvania, was 10, she was in a car crash, and her head slammed into the windshield. Ever since, she's suffered seizures, which occur with weekly and sometimes daily frequency and are life-threatening. When one is coming on, she feels a throbbing pain in the back left side of her brain; the next thing she knows, she's waking up outside with her face on the ground—or in an intensive care unit at a hospital, often having urinated or defecated on herself. Someone, either a medical professional or a family member if she's at home, has to inject diazepam gel into her rectum to keep her alive.

But medical marijuana has been legal in Pennsylvania since 2016, and Gass, 42, obtained a doctor's certification for it last February, court records show. She started taking a small amount—a dot of cannabis oil in a spoonful of peanut butter three times a day, or a drop on her gums if she felt an attack coming on—and the seizures all but stopped. She got her life back. She no longer self-medicated with benzodiazepines, sleeping pills, and alcohol, which are far more addictive and dangerous, especially when taken together. She was able to be the mom she wanted to be again. And she was ready to go back to work at the nursing home where, before the seizures became too debilitating, she'd long been employed as a caretaker, she says.

Then, in September, her Lebanon County probation officer told her that due to a new court policy there, she had until the end of the month to stop using marijuana or else she might go to jail.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

State by state . . .

"Marijuana legalization may hit 40 states. Now what?" | Politico

QuoteMore than 40 U.S. states could allow some form of legal marijuana by the end of 2020, including deep red Mississippi and South Dakota — and they're doing it with the help of some conservatives.

State lawmakers are teeing up their bills as legislative sessions kick off around the country, and advocates pushing ballot measures are racing to collect and certify signatures to meet deadlines for getting their questions to voters.

Should they succeed, every state could have marijuana laws on the books that deviate from federal law, but people could still be prosecuted if they drive across state lines with their weed, because the total federal ban on marijuana isn't expected to budge any time soon. The changes could usher in even more confusion for law enforcement and escalate the pressure on Congress to act. Federal bills are crawling through Congress, with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell firmly against legalization.

But at the least, hopes will be high that federal hurdles to researching the effects of pot and restrictions on banking in the cannabis sector will ease.

"We're cautiously optimistic that we can win more marijuana reform ballot initiatives on one Election Day than on any previous Election Day," said Matthew Schweich, deputy director of the Marijuana Policy Project. Schweich cited growing public support for the issue among both liberals and conservatives.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

i think all drugs should be legalized. those that are for sale in the public sphere should be regulated and pass the same safety standards as alcohol or tobacco.

all the american war on drugs did was was make billion-dollar industries out of drug smuggling and private incarceration.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Siz

Quote from: billy rubin on January 21, 2020, 05:48:02 PM
i think all drugs should be legalized. those that are for sale in the public sphere should be regulated and pass the same safety standards as alcohol or tobacco.

all the american war on drugs did was was make billion-dollar industries out of drug smuggling and private incarceration.

I agree. Legalise and tax it.

Many problems associated with 'drugs' are as a result of them being illegal. Cut organised crime out of the equation and you eliminate a whole raft of social issues, while raising money to help those that need it.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Davin

Quote from: Siz on January 21, 2020, 06:07:19 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on January 21, 2020, 05:48:02 PM

I agree. Legalise and tax it.

Many problems associated with 'drugs' are as a result of them being illegal. Cut organised crime out of the equation and you eliminate a whole raft of social issues, while raising money to help those that need it.

If that tax money goes towards helping those addicted, that would be great. But also, if it's not enough, put some more money into helping those who are addicted.

If you fix people up to be productive members of society, it's usually worth the expense.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

viocjit

When I read this story. I remembered I created a topic about drugs legalization 5 month ago.

Link to the topic : http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=16253

Recusant

The creeps in Washington DC are making noises about putting a federal limit on potency. They haven't legalized it fer fuck's sake. You're going to put regulations on something you don't allow people to legally possess? Sounds like a non-starter to me, but then I don't have a politician's ability to get their cranium firmly inserted into their nether orifice. Bastards. I've never thought much of Feinstein, from her rise to power in San Francisco (taking over for the murdered Mayor Moscone) and on through her notably successful career.  :sulk:

"The cannabis industry's next war: How strong should its weed be?" | Politico

QuoteProposals to limit the potency of THC have been introduced by both Democrats and Republicans, and are likely to proliferate as the legal pot market expands and matures. Lawmakers in Congress have also expressed concern about the increasing potency of weed. In March, the co-chairs of the Senate Caucus on International Narcotics Control — Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) and John Cornyn (R-Texas) — argued that federal agencies should consider recommending THC caps.

[Link to full article.]

Forty-five years ago --

— H. L. Mencken

Davin

Well that's very stupid. Force people growing to do testing and what? Throw out perfectly good weed if it's "too potent"? How are they going to monitor it? How are they going to enforce it?

It's either stupid or like a lot of other stupid laws, they will be mostly invoked only with certain kinds of people. You know, the not rich and not a big corporation kind of people.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

No one

Drugs are bad.
Anyone who has any, please contact me immediately.
Only I, and I alone, can assure their, .....um.....proper disposal. Yes, yes, that's it, their proper disposal.

hermes2015

Quote from: No one on May 06, 2021, 12:48:11 AM
Drugs are bad.
Only I, and I alone, can assure their, .....um.....proper disposal. Yes, yes, that's it, their proper disposal.

:thumbsup2:
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

Quote from: No one on May 06, 2021, 12:48:11 AM
Drugs are bad.
:hahaha...no:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

Why is the strength of cannabis more important than the strength of booze.  I can go down to my neighborhood liquor store and buy alcoholic beverages that range in alky content from 2% to 90%.  Why not have that kind of choice with weed? 

Dark Lightning

Exactly. It's just some stupid over reach. In a sense I can understand it, though. If you take a shot of whiskey or a bottle of beer, you know how much alcohol you are ingesting. But from joint to joint you may not know the strength and end up sick(?). I think that a lot of times when someone ODs, it's because the strength of their fix is higher than the usual?

jumbojak

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to overdose on pot. I've smoked a lot over the years and seen even more smoked. I can't even recall anyone getting ill.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz