News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Fear of the devil: Superstition results in death

Started by Recusant, October 28, 2010, 01:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

It seems that this story hasn't been posted about here.  It's bizarre, and there's no telling what actually went on in that apartment...

Google News: Baby Dies After Family 'Flees Devil' In Paris Apartment
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

MariaEvri

saw it 2-3 days ago. I should feel bad, but I couldn't help bursting out in laughter!
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

The Magic Pudding

Quotepolice have found no evidence of "hallucinogenic drugs
That's because they ate the evidence.
They were illegal immigrants making an escape.
They just moved from a rural property where "it's the devil" was the cue to run out the back door to frolic in the fields.
The devil, or a suitably scary minion appeared and scared them into jumping off the balcony, risking suicide and eternity in hell.

Islador

I can somewhat understand because I have a strange irrational fear of aliens stalking me when its dark after watching X-Files I was younger. It only affects me if I allow my mind to dwell on aliens while its dark and I'm alone but I can keep it under control my reminding myself that the likelyhood of an alien being stood outside my kitchen window or wandering around my house is very small.

Now imagine if I'd been raised from birth to believe that there are aliens who stalk you when it dark and you're alone and imagine how easy it would be for me to be driven to a state of blind panic.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Islador"I can somewhat understand because I have a strange irrational fear of aliens stalking me when its dark after watching X-Files I was younger
I loved the X-Files!  :yay:

If I was an X-Files character though, I'd probably be CGB down to the chain smoking, so aliens in the shadows have never bothered me  :P

QuoteNow imagine if I'd been raised from birth to believe that there are aliens who stalk you when it dark and you're alone and imagine how easy it would be for me to be driven to a state of blind panic.
I think that there is a fair point for the majority of people. Personally, I've always found it hard to worry about things I can not affect nor conveniently dodge... But then again, I'm a near-fatalist... So if I prayed, my prayers would liekly end with "whatever" in stead of "amen" too  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.