News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Re: Thank You for Speaking English

Started by JNTB, July 25, 2006, 01:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

Eh, English people also have bad teeth and their heads flap.....wait the head flapping is Canadians.

THey also talk funny. At least we Americans speak English correctly.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

silviakjell

You mean slang? We Americans are experts at that.
I might be wrong, but Im pretty sure Im right.

Asmodean Prime

Quote from: "Big Mac"Eh, English people also have bad teeth and their heads flap.....wait the head flapping is Canadians.

THey also talk funny. At least we Americans speak English correctly.

You Americans speak English correctly?  Ha ha.  Tell me another one.

You call crisps ..'chips'
and you call chips 'fries'
and you call tea 'dinner'
and...oh....I just remembered, I've only got one life...better not waste so much of it correcting you yanks on how to speak good English, which we invented, by the way.

Oh, how you've strayed from the path, Bigmac (can I have chips with that?)

Big Mac

Yeah, we improved it. Just like you europeans invented guns, we American improved on them (making the revolver, the machine gun, the suppressor, the pump shotgun, etc.). We made the English Language a highly sought item by various ethnic groups.

You guys just make it sound funny and need to talk like Americans, the Master Race! Now everyone, get into formation for Goose-stepping!

Court

Wait, Brits call dinner "tea"? But, we don't drink tea at dinner. We eat. That's why it's a meal not named after a drink.

What's this "we" business? If "you" (meaning your ancient ancestors) invented English, so did "we" (as most white Americans' ancestors would be the same as your own).

And, as an English major, it's difficult for me to say which "language" is better. I've grown accustomed to Brit Lit, and I like it, but I also like American Lit, because it's less formal and stuffy.
But, I haven't read a British woman author I haven't like yet. Even Woolf.
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Aullios

Didn't we invent chips?  Therefore, they're called chips.

Fries are called "fries" because the French invented them, and called them "frites" (French for "fried").

As for dinner, what Court said.

Asmodean Prime

Bigmac wrote:

"You guys just make it sound funny and need to talk like Americans, the Master Race! Now everyone, get into formation for Goose-stepping!"

Right on:

http://www.new-enlightenment.com/nazification_step4.htm

Asmodean Prime

Listen, our offspring from across the pond.  I'm only going to say this once, so pay attention, OK?

Dinner is a meal eaten at dinnertime (i.e. noon)

Tea is a meal eaten at tea-time (early evening, say 5pm)

Have you got that?  Repeat after me.....

Come back to your roots.  All is forgiven.

Whitney

In southern usa dinner is called supper.  We dont' have tea time...so it would be silly for us to call the last meal of the day "tea."

MommaSquid

QuoteHobbits enjoy at least seven meals a day when they can get them.

Mealtimes mentioned by Tolkien include breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, lunch, Noon tea, dinner, and supper.

Hobbits

Asmodean Prime

laetus, you said:
In southern usa dinner is called supper.

There you go!  You don't even have consistency across the different states.  What hope is there for mankind, I ask you, if this practice is prevalent in your country?  Stick to the original ENGLISH.  At least we have consistency across our great, green and pleasant land.

To add further to my original list of mealtimes:

Supper is a light meal eaten before bedtime.

Hence: Breakfast - dinner - tea - supper.

There, now you are one of the priveliged, enlightened few.  Pass it on.

Maybe priveliged is a wrong spelling.  It's a long time since I left school.

Asmodean Prime

To add further to my above posting:

I've looked at the test for American citizenship.  I didn't take it, coz I knew I would probably fail miserably.  But judging by some of the second hand English on this forum, and in American society in general, almost NONE of you would pass as a British citizen.

Mommasquid:

Hobbits?  What was all that about, then?

Aullios

Why would we want to?

Whitney

Does the British citizenship test require that everyone define meal times in a certain manner...gee...that's picky. ;)

Big Mac

I bet I could beat your country's Citzenship tests. What is it with you Brits and believing only Brits can pass your tests? That's what we call Facism and elitism. Something that hasn't left Europe or "enlightened" (IE People's Repulbic of Communifornia and New Marx) parts of the US. The parts we could really just carpet bomb and go on with our lives.