News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Going to my first atheist meet up tomorrow..

Started by missedtheboat, June 06, 2011, 03:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

missedtheboat

So yea, I just found out there is a small atheist meet up in my city. They are all gathering tomorrow evening, and I really want to go! However, I am really really shy. I want to be able to participate, but I usually get nervous infront of groups of people I dont know, and can't get my thoughts together.

Anyone want to give me any advice? Or a good topic to bring up? That would be lovely..

Tank

Just say hi to anybody that says hi to you and give them a smile! It works wonders!

As to the subject, play it by ear,

Very best of luck!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

fester30

I just found out my boss at my new job is atheist/buddhist and my new subordinate is atheist.  This is the military, so to have more than one open atheist in a room is a rarity.

Whitney

What kind of event is it?

Easy small talk is "how long have you been a member of this group?"  "I left X religion X years ago, were you ever religious?"  "How do you think we should approach supporting separation of church and state?"  General bitching about religion usually is enjoyed by people who don't get to otherwise vent.  Then, of course, there is the usual small talk like the weather, summer plans, etc.  You shouldn't even have to start a topic unless you end up sitting near a bunch of other shy people.

I'm shy too...but that doesn't prevent me from organizing local social events; you get use to it after a while. If you end up feeling more comfortable mostly listening that is okay; no one will mind (they also won't mind if you stumble a bit with your words due to being shy).

Willow

I'm jealous.  I'm finding out about a possible humanist group at my uni where I start next year, but it might not exist and I can't run it alone.

Tank

Quote from: Willow on June 06, 2011, 07:15:48 PM
I'm jealous.  I'm finding out about a possible humanist group at my uni where I start next year, but it might not exist and I can't run it alone.

Well Jesus started on his own so you'll be in good company :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

missedtheboat

Thanks! I'm going to try to be approachable... I might have to fake some confidence.

Umm its called LASH(lynchburg area secular humanists).. we're meeting to watch and discuss "Is the bible relevant today?"

Willow, I found out about it through meetup.com just type in your city, and you can find TONS of groups in your area! Hope you find something you like!!

Velma

Quote from: Tank on June 06, 2011, 05:16:43 PM
Just say hi to anybody that says hi to you and give them a smile! It works wonders!

As to the subject, play it by ear,

Very best of luck!
Very good advice.  Since it will be your first visit to the group, most of the 'old-timers' will probably go out of their way to include you in the conversation(s).  I'm pretty shy also, but have never felt out-of-place or unwelcome, even when I mostly just sat and listened.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

fester30

Quote from: missedtheboat on June 07, 2011, 03:59:19 AM
Thanks! I'm going to try to be approachable... I might have to fake some confidence.

Umm its called LASH(lynchburg area secular humanists).. we're meeting to watch and discuss "Is the bible relevant today?"

Willow, I found out about it through meetup.com just type in your city, and you can find TONS of groups in your area! Hope you find something you like!!

If that's Lynchburg, Tennessee, be careful.  It's a dry county with Jack Daniels' distillery.  That's just dishonest.  Tennessee still leads the way in court cases and elementary school experiments with either dropping evolution or including intelligent design.  They're very backwards their with respect to religious freedom.  It's entirely possible this "meetup" could be a trick to get all the non-religious in one place to stone them.

Nimzo

I have to admit that I chuckled at the idea (or, to be fair, my idea) of an atheist meet up...

"I don't believe in God."  
"Me neither."

I find that good conservations involve people talking about what they do believe in.

Or, if in doubt (as you atheists tend to be ;)), rant about fundies.
"Those who believe that they believe in God, but without passion in their hearts, without anguish in mind, without uncertainty, without doubt, without an element of despair even in their consolation, believe only in the God idea, not God Himself."  (Miguel de Unamuno)

missedtheboat

Quote from: fester30 on June 07, 2011, 11:30:16 AM

If that's Lynchburg, Tennessee, be careful.  It's a dry county with Jack Daniels' distillery.  That's just dishonest.  Tennessee still leads the way in court cases and elementary school experiments with either dropping evolution or including intelligent design.  They're very backwards their with respect to religious freedom.  It's entirely possible this "meetup" could be a trick to get all the non-religious in one place to stone them.
Its in Virginia. Home of Jerry Falwell... :)

Quote from: Nimzo on June 07, 2011, 12:07:41 PM
I have to admit that I chuckled at the idea (or, to be fair, my idea) of an atheist meet up...

"Me neither."

I find that good conservations involve people talking about what they do believe in.

haahaaa, yep thats pretty music the conversation I had in my head

"..........yep"

Nimzo

Quote from: missedtheboat on June 07, 2011, 01:06:14 PM
haahaaa, yep thats pretty music the conversation I had in my head

"..........yep"
At least you have a theme to talk about (relevance of the Bible - a very strange choice for a secular humanist gathering but what the hey!) and the secular humanism versus non-secular badgerism* debate.

*Don't waste your time looking this up.
"Those who believe that they believe in God, but without passion in their hearts, without anguish in mind, without uncertainty, without doubt, without an element of despair even in their consolation, believe only in the God idea, not God Himself."  (Miguel de Unamuno)

Velma

Quote from: Nimzo on June 07, 2011, 12:07:41 PM

"Me neither."

There are some of us who live, or have lived, in places where being an atheist can be problematic - like a small town in Mississippi.  It is nice to be able to gather face-to-face with like minded people.  Yes, there is often talk about atheism, rants about the latest fundie attempt to get their beliefs turned into public policy, and such, but generally (like most human gatherings), we wind up talking about life, the universe, and everything.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Whitney

I like atheist/secular meetups because we can be free to discuss politics, ethics etc without having to deal with people who have to bring their religion into it all the time.  It also helps to make the world seem more sane.

Nimzo

Quote from: Velma on June 07, 2011, 06:12:48 PM
There are some of us who live, or have lived, in places where being an atheist can be problematic - like a small town in Mississippi.  It is nice to be able to gather face-to-face with like minded people.  Yes, there is often talk about atheism, rants about the latest fundie attempt to get their beliefs turned into public policy, and such, but generally (like most human gatherings), we wind up talking about life, the universe, and everything.
Atheists are humans too!? :o