News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

you could try california. i lived on top of the san andreas fault there for 17 yearz.

earthquakes every week.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Harmonie

Quote from: billy rubin on December 29, 2019, 09:07:02 AM
you could try california. i lived on top of the san andreas fault there for 17 yearz.

earthquakes every week.

I don't consider California to be much more bearable. California is a beautiful place to vacation to, but I could never live there. I would be so depressed as having four seasons is one thing that is important to me. Also, absolutely no to earthquakes. There's a reason I've chosen New England - Minimal earthquakes, severe thunderstorms, tornadoes, and despite being close to the coast, not too high of a chance of hurricanes either.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

billy rubin

in new england you have to deal with yankees.

they re hard to talk to becauze they communicate only in one or two word zentencez

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Harmonie

Hail to Winter Storm Kade for giving me my first winter storm and decent snow in an eternity. Still not a major snow, TBH, but the average snowfall total has fallen to a trace post-2011, so that makes it very noteworthy.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

billy rubin

lots warmer here as well.

when i got to ohio 17 years ago, january generally stayed under 32F, with no thaw until february. there were bad bits where the temperature stayed around -15 F for several weeks at a time, and the road to town was sometimes under three feet of snow.

this winter it's been absolutely warm, with spells in the middle 60s as recently as a week ago.

i have no complaints. cold weather is for people who can go inside and get warm. my house stays around 50 F when its seriously cold outside, sometimes worse than that.

we seem to be losing the thunderstorms as well. ohio used to be famous for them, but they're nothing like they were even 15 years ago anymore.

xSilverPhinx

At 7:30 a.m. it was already around 30 degrees Celsius. It's going to be a lousy day. :-\
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bad Penny II

There has been rain and more is expected.
So much dead wildlife, fk knows how there's any platypus left.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on February 07, 2020, 12:25:05 PM
There has been rain and more is expected.
So much dead wildlife, fk knows how there's any platypus left.

Poor creatures.  :(
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tom62

This whole week the weather was rather messed up. From 15 degrees on Monday to -8 degrees Celsius today. We had loads of sunshine, fog, rain and even some snow.   
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tom62

Orkan Sabine arrived here in Germany. Strong winds (120km/h) and torrential rains are heading our way. People are recommended to stay inside.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

jumbojak

Absolutely gorgeous here today. That's especially nice after wind storms this weekend that uprooted light poles.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on February 09, 2020, 07:07:17 PM
Absolutely gorgeous here today. That's especially nice after wind storms this weekend that uprooted light poles.

So the heavy poles were safe? Obesity has some advantages then?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on February 09, 2020, 07:29:00 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on February 09, 2020, 07:07:17 PM

So the heavy poles were safe? Obesity has some advantages then?

Otyły mężczyzna!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames