News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

As a simplistic measure of how happy you are with your life

Started by xSilverPhinx, November 24, 2020, 09:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anne D.

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 27, 2020, 03:22:59 AM
One of the best going-back-in-time movies was Peggy Sue Got Married. Nicolas Cage was good in this movie, but I haven't liked him in anything since then.

Nicolas Cage was good in Valley Girl and Raising Arizona. I forgot about Peggy Sue Got Married. But yeah, after that he became a terrible hack. 8MM is unwatchable, largely because of him.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 27, 2020, 02:02:32 PM
One of the best going-back-in-time movies was Peggy Sue Got Married. Nicolas Cage was good in this movie, but I haven't liked him in anything since then.

:chin: I haven't seen that, but I can't stand Nicholas Cage.

I can't either. I'm always nervous when I tell people which actors I hate, in case they are devoted fans. On the other hand, I'm not shy to admit who I wouldn't kick out of my bed.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Randy

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 27, 2020, 03:26:48 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 27, 2020, 02:02:32 PM

:chin: I haven't seen that, but I can't stand Nicholas Cage.

I can't either. I'm always nervous when I tell people which actors I hate, in case they are devoted fans. On the other hand, I'm not shy to admit who I wouldn't kick out of my bed.
You wouldn't have Nicholas Cage in your bed either? Good for you.

I don't mind him as long as the movie is good. I think the problem is that he seems to have the same persona with every movie. I guess quite a few stars do though.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

No one

I hate
Adam Sandler
Russel Crowe
Martin Lawrence
Christian Bale
Matt Affleck
Jamie Fox
Colin Farrell
Jim Carrey
Adam Sandler
Russell Crowe.

hermes2015

Quote from: No one on November 27, 2020, 03:42:41 PM
I hate
Adam Sandler
Russel Crowe
Martin Lawrence
Christian Bale
Matt Affleck
Jamie Fox
Colin Farrell
Jim Carrey
Adam Sandler
Russell Crowe.

I pretty much agree with your list, except for the young Matt Damon, who was cute. I would like to add Will Ferrell.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

No one

Yes! Will Ferrell is another one who is s as funny as losing both balls to cancer, then coming home to find your family has been slaughtered.

xSilverPhinx

Definitely Adam Sandler and Will Ferrell...I can't stand the whole man-child thing.  ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

I hate
Adam Sandler
Russel Crowe
Martin Lawrence
Christian Bale
Matt Affleck
Jamie Fox
Colin Farrell
Jim Carrey
Adam Sandler
Russell Crowe.

+ the rest of humanity - the other members of HAF
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Randy

Will Ferell, Adam Sandler, and Jim Carey I can't stand. I avoid watching any movie with one of them in it.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on November 27, 2020, 05:17:46 PM

I hate
Adam Sandler
Russel Crowe
Martin Lawrence
Christian Bale
Matt Affleck
Jamie Fox
Colin Farrell
Jim Carrey
Adam Sandler
Russell Crowe.

+ the rest of humanity - the other members of HAF

:thumbsup2:
― Charles Eames

No one

I didn't have the time or the inclination to name them all.

billy rubin

yo anne

raising arizona was a zpectacular movie that captured the region perfectly

except for the yodeling

i lived in tempe at the time and the movie was much more subtle than you would detect if you were not familiar with arizona culture.

where else could you drive by a billboard in suburban tempe that read

Dont Rob Banks

hollie hunter went on to star in the piano. my favorite motion picture of all time.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Anne D.

Quote from: billy rubin on November 28, 2020, 12:27:51 AM
yo anne

raising arizona was a zpectacular movie that captured the region perfectly

except for the yodeling

i lived in tempe at the time and the movie was much more subtle than you would detect if you were not familiar with arizona culture.

where else could you drive by a billboard in suburban tempe that read

Dont Rob Banks

hollie hunter went on to star in the piano. my favorite motion picture of all time.

I really loved Raising Arizona. Having never lived in Arizona, I'll have to trust you that it captured local culture perfectly, although I don't doubt it given the Coen brothers' talents. Are you a Fargo fan? I enjoyed both the movie and the TV series. The latest season is getting panned, but I think it's one of the better ones. I really didn't care for the one with Ewan MacGregor even though I like him a lot as an actor.

Bad Penny II

I hate
Adam Sandler
Russel Crowe
Martin Lawrence
Christian Bale
Matt Affleck
Jamie Fox
Colin Farrell
Jim Carrey
Adam Sandler
Russell Crowe.

How dare you! You've put our Russell in there twice!
Adam Sandler is extremely annoying, Anger Management was good though because of Jack Nicholson.
Christian Bale was a good Batman.
Is there more than one Affleck?
Jamie Fox, he was in Django Unchained which was OK
Colin Farrell was in In Bruges which was very good, I think his character was meant to be annoying.
Jim Carrey can make you cringe but he is very clever, his Count Orloff was brilliant.  Any way Lisa Simpson likes him and I've only known her to be wrong once.

Russel Crowe has been lots of good movies, he has had some crappy ones in recent years, Noah, The Water Diviner.  I'd of liked more Aubry/Maturin movies.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.