News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

As a simplistic measure of how happy you are with your life

Started by xSilverPhinx, November 24, 2020, 09:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No one

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

Dark Lightning

It only takes a giant keyboard. Or, speech to print software.  ;D

No one

Or if you were bitten by a silver werewildebeest during of a stampede of wild elephants in your own home between 3:55 and 4:00 p.m. on the Fourth of July during a hailstorm. Henceforth, you carry the crushing weight until you can pass on the curse. Or so I have heard.

Randy

He's the only wildebeest that I know of who loves tacos.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 24, 2020, 09:17:14 PM
Just a little food for thought: if you were given the option to relive your life from the moment you were born, how much of it would you do all over again? Would you allow yourself to make the same mistakes? Would you make the same life choices?

I've been pondering these questions all day.  :P

I would change everything between ages 7 and 14, and other than that I'd try to take my education more seriously, and if not definitely join the Army after High School.  Just get some decent training and job experience.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Anne D.

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 24, 2020, 09:17:14 PM
Just a little food for thought: if you were given the option to relive your life from the moment you were born, how much of it would you do all over again? Would you allow yourself to make the same mistakes? Would you make the same life choices?

I've been pondering these questions all day.  :P

Assuming I got to go back with the knowledge I have now, I'd go back to when I was a kid or teen and do tons of things differently from then on. If I didn't get to go back with that knowledge, nah, I wouldn't go back. I'd just fuck up things again in a completely new way. My life is absolutely fine now, but I still have tons of regrets. Lots of things I should have done differently.

No One, I've always guessed you were a wildebeest. Nice to get confirmation though.

Sandra, the army? Really? I've always thought about what it might've been like to join up straight out of high school. Don't know if it would've been for the better or the worse.

billy rubin

on reflection, if i had time to do my life over again i woul probably become an evolutionary parasitologist.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Bluenose

I've pondered this from time to time.  For example, I think my first marriage was a mistake and to make matters worse I was warned by someone I didn't like who had the timerity to be right.  But then, I wouldn't have had the two kids that I did and then in turn my two wonderful, funny, smart granddaughters.  So that would be no good.  So in the end, although I have made many mistakes in my life I would not change anything, because then I would not be where I am today.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

One of the best going-back-in-time movies was Peggy Sue Got Married. Nicolas Cage was good in this movie, but I haven't liked him in anything since then.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Anne D. on November 26, 2020, 03:36:58 AM

Sandra, the army? Really? I've always thought about what it might've been like to join up straight out of high school. Don't know if it would've been for the better or the worse.

Yeah, I don't mind rules, orders or regimentation, and it would have been a great way of getting a college education or at least some working experience.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Anne D.

Quote from: Sandra Craft on November 27, 2020, 04:30:32 AM
Quote from: Anne D. on November 26, 2020, 03:36:58 AM

Yeah, I don't mind rules, orders or regimentation, and it would have been a great way of getting a college education or at least some working experience.

I guess knowing that the rules and regimentation were only for a finite time would make them a little more palatable too. I hear you on the education or experience front.

In my early twenties I had two female roommates who had each served in different branches, but both with the motivation to get college paid for. Neither one regretted her time in the military.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bluenose on November 27, 2020, 03:05:16 AM
...So in the end, although I have made many mistakes in my life I would not change anything, because then I would not be where I am today.

I feel the same way, though if I could go back I would have treated certain people better, especially while going through a dark period during my late teens and another during my early twenties. I treated some people poorly who did nothing to  deserve being treated that way. 

Even though those dark times were distressing, I would go through them again as they have made me much more resilient now. Maybe even a little numb, but that's ok.

I would not have wasted a year enrolled in Portuguese-English studies at uni because my father said it would be a good idea, and then feel so disillusioned I didn't go back to uni for many years. That's precious time I will never get back.   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 27, 2020, 03:22:59 AM
One of the best going-back-in-time movies was Peggy Sue Got Married. Nicolas Cage was good in this movie, but I haven't liked him in anything since then.

:chin: I haven't seen that, but I can't stand Nicholas Cage. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey