News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

As a simplistic measure of how happy you are with your life

Started by xSilverPhinx, November 24, 2020, 09:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Just a little food for thought: if you were given the option to relive your life from the moment you were born, how much of it would you do all over again? Would you allow yourself to make the same mistakes? Would you make the same life choices?

I've been pondering these questions all day.  :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

Randy

I've often thought of the mistakes I've made growing up. I wouldn't change anything though. These sorts of things made me what I am today and quite frankly I can't see myself as anyone else. I'm happy with the way things turned out.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

the only things i would change would be to people i was mean to.

i would treat them bettrr

set the function, not the mechanism.

Icarus

I am not obsessed with regret but there are things that I could have done better.  Among the things that I regret is that I did not pay enough attention to my academic pursuits while in university.  I managed to get through but was too much distracted with other interests to earn cum laude status. I truly believe that I had the mental capacity to have done much better that I did.  I was an ordinary student, not the exceptional one that I might have been.   Maybe that is reverting to the Dunning -Kruger effect but I do not think so. 

There were other areas of my life that I would have traveled differently.  But all that is hind sight and there is no going back.  The whole question is problematic because as I have aged I have observed that the better paths were not immediately apparent in my more youthful days. 

On balance I am pleased that my life has developed as well as it has.  I have had some wonderful experiences along with some that were  devastating.  The devastating part is that the love of my life died suddenly on or about our 30th anniversary. I recovered somewhat and have been in a new life with another woman that I like and respect.  All things considered I am a lucky bastard who may not deserve all the the good things that I have been favored with.,.

Would I do anything different? Probably not if I was still in my twenties or thirties, In hind sight I would do a bunch of things differently but only because I am a lot older and .....possibly...........a little wiser.

Tank

I would have paid more attention at school and done chemistry rather than music later on in school.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: No one on November 24, 2020, 09:48:17 PM
I'd chose to be stillborn.

Oh no we can't have that, I will insist that Tank finances a trip back through time so we can convince in utero you to stay the course. Maybe we'll play some music to you in there, by those bling wearing guys the young people like.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 24, 2020, 09:17:14 PM
Just a little food for thought: if you were given the option to relive your life from the moment you were born, how much of it would you do all over again? Would you allow yourself to make the same mistakes? Would you make the same life choices?

I've been pondering these questions all day.  :P

The God Gary can make that possible.
Let me know if you're interested and I'll tell you how.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on November 25, 2020, 11:21:55 AM

How? If you weren't born how could you choose not to be born?

Sentience starts some time before birth, he could have taken stock of what's out there and decided he didn't want it.  Lots of babies seem quite annoyed about being born.

Tank

Quote from: Bad Penny II on November 25, 2020, 11:44:38 AM
Quote from: Tank on November 25, 2020, 11:21:55 AM

Sentience starts some time before birth, he could have taken stock of what's out there and decided he didn't want it.  Lots of babies seem quite annoyed about being born.

Wouldn't you be if you were held upside down and spanked? On second thoughts don't answer that!

No one

Argentium:
if you were given the option to relive your life from the moment you were born

this guy:

Mr. Pam:

But I was born, and I'd choose not to do it at all if given the choice to go back to that moment.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: No one link=topic=16780.msg407674#msg407674
But I was born, and I'd choose not to do it at all if given the choice to go back to that moment.

That's my problem with Darwin's creation.
Does anyone ask the wildebeest if they want to do this thing?
I don't think so, insidiously imperatives are sunk in our cells.
If life could be all weekends, if not for the ever present fear of lions, maybe it'd be a life worth the living
Wilbur says
What? Who?
Wilbur, he's a wildebeest, he says he likes most other wildebeests, running, a joy in the working of his muscles, eating grasses, lions aren't much of a concern.
I was about to denunciate this life thing and you posit Wilbur's point of view.
Green II wouldn't have done any of this, do you know anything about his whereabouts?