Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on May 23, 2018, 06:23:58 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on May 23, 2018, 03:50:55 AM
There's a big honking hole in the condenser return line for my car's ac system. I have some epoxy setting up, just so I can charge the system enough to test the compressor. If the compressor turns in I'll be in fairly good shape once I get a vacuum pump to finish the job properly.
At least you found the problem.

I found one pRobles but with the way my luck runs it's probably not the only thing wrong.  *sigh*

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

It's nice when a plan comes together . . .

Friend's daughter has not been able to use her main oven for weeks, one of the bits that holds the glass front on had broken off. My friend told her to contact me but she it too indipendent. But I did have to get her old printer linked up with the lnewer laptop I gave her - the driver disk she had eould not work on Windows 10 (yes, the printer is that old!)

Managed to find a driver to download and got the thing going, 'cept the ink cartridges/heads had dried out. Measured up tge oven door and had a good think. Should have brought it home eith me then. Anyway, drilled and tapped a bit of 25mm steel bar and shaped a bit of al.al. as the "shelf/hook" the glass sits on.

Today I picked the door up (the daughter had fallen and severely banged her head and could not drive) and took it up into the workshop. I had got 97% of it right, just needed a little cosmetic tweaking. Undoing the screw quarter of an inch (it's an inch long) allows the support bit to seing out of the way.

Nice to know the noddle and its noodles are still working OK!

But I cannot quite understand why the glass door front does not hook onto the steel frame so it hangs there and the bottom bits just stop it swinging out. It hooks under the frame so if the supports fail it falls straight down. The supports can be no more than about 1,5mm thick to clear the main part of the oven.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

They want to sell repair parts!

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on May 26, 2018, 09:11:00 PM
They want to sell repair parts!
It is also dangeroyu! You have to remove the front glass to clean between them thst andvthe inner glass. This requires holding a heavy sheetbof tempered glass up whiost undoing two screws on the bottom edge of the door. Then, of course, holding it up whilst trying to get the screws lined up in two holes to re-assemble. It is carefully designed that you can easily get the two 0.5mm thick stainless steel securing tabs on the outside instead of the inside of the door bottom if you do not note how they came out (or are not engineering minded). This puts forces on those tabs that tend to cause them to rip off the door.

A replacement glass is £152, a whole new main oven insert, with door, is £270. Unfortunately the lady is between employments.

My oven door stays in place and four screws/plates secure the inner glass to the door frame. Simply remove the screws, lift off a smallish sheet of glass, clean all surfaces and re-assemple. Simples. Takes fifteen minutes or less, no danger to knees or feet, little to the glass - but I have to sit down to do the job these days . . .

Been promised a bottle of vino as payment!

jumbojak

How are your ovens built? Seems overly complicated.

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on May 26, 2018, 09:56:42 PM
How are your ovens built? Seems overly complicated.

I think it is a German oven.

Not as complex as it sounds, just a poor design with cleaning, servicing and safety in mind. Only 4 main bits,  front glass+handle, frame/back glass, 2 hinges. Better if you take the door off and work in it on a flat surface but the spring hinges are a bitch to get safe in this model. In fact they are never safe unless in their proper place, they are held open by two bits that are easy to knock unsafe and fingers are then in distinct danger. Another triumph of cosmetics and cheapness over safety, ease of use and function! But it is about 30 years old . . .

Can't find an assembly diagram for this model and I am not taking it apart again to photograph!

jumbojak

On any oven I've ever seen the glass is built into the door. Some doors are removable but cleaning just takes scrubbing the inner glass with some lye. The fumes are intoxicating.

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on May 27, 2018, 01:28:10 AM
On any oven I've ever seen the glass is built into the door. Some doors are removable but cleaning just takes scrubbing the inner glass with some lye. The fumes are intoxicating.

I think it is a regulation in Europe that there has to be a ventilated gap, between the inner and outer glasses, so air can pass to keep the outer at a tempersture that will not damage skin. Water vapour and fat fumes inevitably get into that gap requiring access to all glass surfaces for cleaning. Standard oven clesner usually works, maybe with a fine grade wire-wool or a scraper blade for really stubborn bits.

You people over there seem to love lye! When I moved in the ceramic hob was so encrusted I had to lay cloth on it and pour ammonia onto that, covering the whole with cling film. I then left it for three days before I moved in. Left the windows cracked open on the secure locks. Needed a fan in the fully open window to shift the fumes!

jumbojak

Lye is really useful stuff. It makes a great drain cleaner, a fantastic degreaser, and if you want to start your own Fight Club you can even make soap. Cheap too.

A while back I came across a thread on another site where a guy was asking about the best degreaser to use on an engine. He got the usual answers - benzene, white spirits, acetone - but some smart-ass had to point out the boiling hot lye was the best degreaser you can easily get your hands on. We never found out if he survived...

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on May 27, 2018, 02:47:51 AM
Lye is really useful stuff. It makes a great drain cleaner, a fantastic degreaser, and if you want to start your own Fight Club you can even make soap. Cheap too.

A while back I came across a thread on another site where a guy was asking about the best degreaser to use on an engine. He got the usual answers - benzene, white spirits, acetone - but some smart-ass had to point out the boiling hot lye was the best degreaser you can easily get your hands on. We never found out if he survived...

We usually call it "csustic doda" over here. Have used it to de-grease (c)overalls and, yes, most branded drain cleaners are coloured, scented over priced csudtic soda. Once used it to clean a two-stroke motorbike silrncer. It dissolved most of the plates and part of the old steel dustbin it was in. Then it killed the grass. Father was not pleased. Only bonus was before killing the grass it also cleaned a section of the patio of moss, lichen and mold!

But the bike sounded real angry . . .

Knew someone who thought it would be great for de-coking an aluminium motor-bike cylinder head . . . It was finless.

Hot caustic is used here to strip wooden doors and gurniture of paint, varnish, polish and, uduslly, glue. Used to be a fashion but have not seen ads for it for s long time.

jumbojak

It was a really crummy day so I decided to stay home, nap, and work on some of my rusty crap for a change. Two saws, one draw knife, and an egg beater drill for the hand tool woodshop. I really like the Warrantied Superior saws. They have an elegant curve along the spine that sets them apart.

Tank

Refurbishing old tools is like resurrection, only real!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

I finally ordered myself a saw set so I can properly sharpen saws. The WS will be the first test most likely but I can't decide if I want to convert it to a large rip saw or keep it a crosscut.

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on June 05, 2018, 02:34:39 PM
I finally ordered myself a saw set so I can properly sharpen saws. The WS will be the first test most likely but I can't decide if I want to convert it to a large rip saw or keep it a crosscut.

Think back and ask yourself which you have used most often.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on June 05, 2018, 02:38:24 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on June 05, 2018, 02:34:39 PM

Think back and ask yourself which you have used most often.

It's about a 50/50 mix. I have about... twenty hand saws in total so there's plenty to choose from. And I can always reshape the teeth to a different prifle if needed. Rip saws are much easier to sharpen though. It almost makes it worthwhile to keep them set to rip and deal with the slower cut!