News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

How to add an image to your posts.

Started by Tank, May 16, 2011, 10:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

I use imjur http://imgur.com/?noFlash

I haven't bothered to set up an account, you just go there an upload your pic, you loose control of it but that isn't an issue for me.  I do have a word doc with the links for pics I might want to use again.  It allows png files which like gifs can have transparent backgrounds.  I've noticed some of the non genuine spoons are jpg with a white background.

Seeing as though this is a tutorial some image format basics.
jpg, good for photos, compressed for smaller file size, some loss of quality (lossy) but probably insignificant.
gif limited to 256 colours, not suitable for photos, can be animated and have transparent background.
PNG is like an improved gif which allows for greater colour depth, not really for photos unless small otherwise results in large file size.

Asmodean Prime

Shall we do stuff like allow for video embedding and such?

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean Prime on October 10, 2015, 11:08:26 AM
Shall we do stuff like allow for video embedding and such?
Yes. I don't see why not.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Buddy

Can someone refresh my memory on how to resize images. Screenshots from my iPhone always end up huge. I used to do it all the time by doing something to the [img] but I forgot and google is not helping.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

xSilverPhinx

You can add 'width' and 'height' to the code, followed by = and a number (I think it refers to the number of pixels). If you add just one of those dimensions it should work too.

For instance,

[img width=300] followed by the image url and [ / img]
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Buddy

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Icarus

I am struggling with adding a picture but I will keep trying................or ???

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on May 08, 2020, 06:24:24 AM
I am struggling with adding a picture but I will keep trying................or ???

xSilverPhinx

You can also add an image by clicking the shortcut button (first button on the left, second row):

The image BBcode will appear:

[img][/img]

Just paste the image link in between [ img ] and [ /img], like this:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Ciuy7v8.png[/img]

Make sure the link is a proper image format such as .png, .jpg, .gif etc., or it won't work!

Icarus

The only option I have is to use "quick reply" which has no bulletin board or smiley choices.   Where-how do I find the smileys and buttons? 

I have looked all over the screen to find some sort of option to go to a regular post.   Is my Firefox/Win10 setup somehow making me look, or actually be, stupid.  Firefox does block certain elements but that sort of thing is beyond my pay grade.  Thus I am moved to plead for help from one or more of my virtual friends.  The change of available options began when the format was redesigned.

I know that the Gods are out to get me and make it ever more evident that I have diminished capacity. (probably so, but curiously, I can still do quadratic equations and confidently calculate fluid dynamic physics problems. But I can not seem to post a freaking picture. )

I can also do stupid shit in my workshop. Like when I had a kickback from the table saw that involved a lot of blood and eight stitches in my left hand on account of a flying piece of thin plywood ejected from the saw at about 105 feet per second. Only about 72 MPH or 115Kmph.   I might show you a picture of the hand if I ever learn to post a picture. ................. Never mind the mangled paw is all healed now. 

Dark Lightning

Do you not see the little green box with the rounded corners (with a "+" in it) at the bottom right of people's posts? Are you using the old forum skin? I don't see a "quick reply" button, myself.

OK, I went to "look and layout" and discovered that I have the "quick reply" turned off by default. Maybe go in and change that. Are you using a cell phone? It might be a limitation of the sw that gets a cell phone usable here. Pure conjecture on my part.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on May 10, 2020, 01:28:01 AM
The only option I have is to use "quick reply" which has no bulletin board or smiley choices.   Where-how do I find the smileys and buttons? 

I have looked all over the screen to find some sort of option to go to a regular post.   Is my Firefox/Win10 setup somehow making me look, or actually be, stupid.  Firefox does block certain elements but that sort of thing is beyond my pay grade.  Thus I am moved to plead for help from one or more of my virtual friends.  The change of available options began when the format was redesigned.

I know that the Gods are out to get me and make it ever more evident that I have diminished capacity. (probably so, but curiously, I can still do quadratic equations and confidently calculate fluid dynamic physics problems. But I can not seem to post a freaking picture. )

I can also do stupid shit in my workshop. Like when I had a kickback from the table saw that involved a lot of blood and eight stitches in my left hand on account of a flying piece of thin plywood ejected from the saw at about 105 feet per second. Only about 72 MPH or 115Kmph.   I might show you a picture of the hand if I ever learn to post a picture. ................. Never mind the mangled paw is all healed now.

If you click 'Preview', does it take you to a page like the one I showed above?

Icarus

Glory to Jesus, Joseph, Mary, and much more glory to DL and Silver for the clues.   :notworthy:  I have to click the + box to get to the more friendly part of my reply.  Why could I not have figured that out?    ::)

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on May 11, 2020, 12:53:40 AM
Glory to Jesus, Joseph, Mary, and much more glory to DL and Silver for the clues.   :notworthy:  I have to click the + box to get to the more friendly part of my reply.  Why could I not have figured that out?    ::)

So where's the picture?  ;D