News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

The future of the forum

Started by Claireliontamer, June 14, 2016, 12:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonia

I am very happy here! But I did come from another forum where there was hatred being spewed, between regulars! There were a couple of instigators who actually tried to create angst and upset on a very regular basis, and they would twist anything you said out of your meaning, then attack you for not being more precise in your post. I was called names that I have never been called before. It got to be too much for me after I got in a fight defending someone else (new) who had been attacked for a very personal opinion.
I had had enough, and I said so, and haven't been back since.
Personally, I love the laid-back, friendly attitude around here, which is why I stayed! I guess I love tame.... in a forum.  8)
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Arturo

From my experience in chat rooms, those with a large amount of regulars tend to argue a lot. And they tend to stay if the atmosphere is very peaceful at first. If it happens to go the other way some time later, then the new member ignores that and ends up a regular chatter.

I've only been to one small chat room but it was apart of a different website for anxiety. For a long time it was like HAF where we could have talks and not think anything about it. We even had a few romances going on but once a stubborn guy with no control over himself broke up with someone everything went down hill into taking sides and fights for months. I was even subject to personal attacks because I had it better than some people.

All in all is I'm saying that HAF has potential if any of this can be related to forums. Yeah the smaller chat had fights, but they all had anxiety which brings out aggression. I don't see that in anyone here.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tank

Quote from: Arturo on February 18, 2017, 05:27:31 PM
From my experience in chat rooms, those with a large amount of regulars tend to argue a lot. And they tend to stay if the atmosphere is very peaceful at first. If it happens to go the other way some time later, then the new member ignores that and ends up a regular chatter.

I've only been to one small chat room but it was apart of a different website for anxiety. For a long time it was like HAF where we could have talks and not think anything about it. We even had a few romances going on but once a stubborn guy with no control over himself broke up with someone everything went down hill into taking sides and fights for months. I was even subject to personal attacks because I had it better than some people.

All in all is I'm saying that HAF has potential if any of this can be related to forums. Yeah the smaller chat had fights, but they all had anxiety which brings out aggression. I don't see that in anyone here.
The thing  is with forums is survival. I've seen many implode. They implode mainly due to cliquism. We have avoided that in any significant form. It's why I joined as I'd put a lot of effort into other places only to see it flushed down the tube. That's why I detest the likes of Dredge who is just abusing the this place for his own pleasure.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on February 18, 2017, 08:28:41 PM

The thing  is with forums is survival. I've seen many implode. They implode mainly due to cliquism. We have avoided that in any significant form. It's why I joined as I'd put a lot of effort into other places only to see it flushed down the tube. That's why I detest the likes of Dredge who is just abusing the this place for his own pleasure.

Well, I won't complain if you abuse Dredge all the way out of the forum!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Gloucester on February 18, 2017, 08:32:26 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 18, 2017, 08:28:41 PM

Well, I won't complain if you abuse Dredge all the way out of the forum!
If you want him gone just ignore him. Cut off the air supply to his ego. As long as you keep giving him material to respond to he'll keep coming back.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dave

Or talk about him but not to him!

No one

Stooges lile dredge, they come and go
A Moe, Larry or Curly
is needed on every show.

Tank

Quote from: Gloucester on February 18, 2017, 09:03:25 PM
Nope. That still gives him material to respond to. People like Dredge live for an audience, just don't give him one.

Tank

Quote from: No one on February 18, 2017, 09:34:13 PM
Stooges lile dredge, they come and go
A Moe, Larry or Curly
is needed on every show.
Some truth in this.
But I was never keen on atheist forums that referred to theists as 'chew toys'.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on February 18, 2017, 09:37:18 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on February 18, 2017, 09:03:25 PM
Nope. That still gives him material to respond to. People like Dredge live for an audience, just don't give him one.

True.

Firebird

Honestly, I enjoy seeing how people point out Dredge's dumbfuckery to him, even if he doesn't listen. I even learn a thing or two along the way. But maybe I'm just masochistic.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tank

Quote from: Firebird on February 18, 2017, 10:19:02 PM
Honestly, I enjoy seeing how people point out Dredge's dumbfuckery to him, even if he doesn't listen. I even learn a thing or two along the way. But maybe I'm just masochistic.
Demonstrating the abject stupidity of his ideas to lurkers is the silver lining of members like Dredge.

Arturo

There was something I read last night called "mystic psychosis". I think it describes Dredge perfectly but I will let you decide.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystical_psychosis
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Quote from: Arturo on February 19, 2017, 02:02:05 AM
There was something I read last night called "mystic psychosis". I think it describes Dredge perfectly but I will let you decide.

Um...I'm not the smartest one here, please remember that.... OK? :notsure:
OK?
...but I don't think we should be making a "diagnosis" without a license.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on February 19, 2017, 03:42:13 AM
Quote from: Arturo on February 19, 2017, 02:02:05 AM

Um...I'm not the smartest one here, please remember that.... OK? :notsure:
OK?
...but I don't think we should be making a "diagnosis" without a license.

I guess you're right. I just wanted people here to know this guy is still human.
     Arturo The1  リ壱