News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

The future of the forum

Started by Claireliontamer, June 14, 2016, 12:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gentle_dissident

I came here to find like minded people. I'm not interested in arguing. I like the slow meandering pace of this forum. It's about all I have time for. This is it for my social media. Even if I found tons of people to share interests with, I'd stick with email, voice, and text for plan making.

Dave

This is my fourth forum, counting the old BBC ones, and - so far - feel quite comfirtabke.

The BBC forums were divisive and bitchy, invaded by those with opposing views in an antagonistic way, only very heavy moderation cut bad language but overt personal insults were allowed.

Another was also a bit mixed, lightish moderation but one evidently mentally ill person (if you picked her up on an unwarrented insult to someone who could not answer back it would be twisted so that it was yourself who offered that insult and the subsequent pursuit could last weeks). Another was mostly a personal blogging site for the owner. He was a good blogger offering value to the rational argument against woo therapies.

This forum seems to have a good mix to me. What disagreements there are seem reasonable so far and I had not noticed a heavy hand in moderation so far (perhaps I am naive in this  :D)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

OldGit

I agree with Glos that the moderation is not particularly heavy here.

Davin

I don't know what you're all talking about this place is heavily

DFG%$#GRSGFDvbgs
sdagsfg dfs
M)(U)UJ*(HN<
<>_)_J)PM⌠
t8
╥~

This place is great, the mods are wonderful!

--Edited by: The Supreme Moderator - on: 2016-07-41, 13:30:16
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

gentle_dissident

Your word sculpture suggests a B-2 Spirit stealth bomber.

Dave

Quote from: OldGit on July 11, 2016, 09:52:11 AM
I agree with Glos that the moderation is not particularly heavy here.
Thats "Gloucs" OG. "Glos" is an abbreviation for the family name.

So I am, Gloucs Glos. Got a cousin down the road, Stroud Glos and Tewks Glos lives a bit northish. Uncle Bristol went his own way years ago.

OldGit

I'm Salop now; until recently I was Hfds.  Salop iseasier to say.

Dave

Quote from: OldGit on July 12, 2016, 09:48:02 AM
I'm Salop now; until recently I was Hfds.  Salop iseasier to say.
"Hfds"? Did you live in an Ikea or domething?

Or was it our neighbour Heref?

OldGit

Herefordshire.  Typical of a Gloucestershire yokel not to recognise the county next door.

Dave

Quote from: OldGit on July 12, 2016, 04:20:31 PM
Herefordshire.  Typical of a Gloucestershire yokel not to recognise the county next door.
I'm an immigrant actually, but it is contagious. Glad I didn't move to The Forest, might have grown an extra finger and webs between my toes.

"Heref" is a quite acceptable abbreviation for Herefordshire, better than "Here", 'cos tain't, tiz there ennit?

Got a book of funny poems in Forestese, can't find one written in Glawster.

OldGit

Quote from: GloucesterGlad I didn't move to The Forest, might have grown an extra finger and webs between my toes.

And that would be a mild case.  I know Herefordshire people who, on hearing a mention of the Forest, automatically pull one ear up and the other ear down by way of illustration.

Ecurb Noselrub

Googled he forest and herefordshire - didn't get much.  What are you 2 talking about?

Dave

"The Forest" is the Forest of Dean, just over the River Severn from Gloucester.

It is one of the best examples of old forests in Britain, not primeval, it has been "managed" since the Stone Age, but it is beautiful. Has a wildish river section, caves, cliffs, legends . . . The people were hunters,  woodsmen, miners (coal and, in very ancient times, iron in the form of ochres, for smelting and pigments) herdsmen etc.

Amongst the legends are the tales of the, once reclusive, forest dwellers. Deep and dark valleys bred deep and dark people who, it is said, never went far for their mates. Hence recessive genetic features tended to proliferate.

Common theme for lots of places, the Appalachian hillbillies?

Drinking in a very local local pub there about 50 years ago. Sitting at a common table the whole place jumped. Pause in conversation, then, "I told young George ten pounds o' dynamite were too much",

"Arr," was the only reply before conversation resumed,

Seems they were opening a new seam in a mine under the village!

Bad Penny II

If there's one thing I can't abide it's the old people of today's ignorance of the classics.  >:(

Quoten 1928, Rubeus Hagrid was born in or near the Forest of Dean, where he developed his strong West Country accent.[3][4] The Forest of Dean once played host to Hermione and her parents during a camping trip for the summer holidays

QuoteA few days after Christmas in 1997, Hermione Granger would return to this location with Harry Potter and would camp in the forest during their Horcrux search, trying to avoid captivity and staying in one place for too long. Hermione and Harry would take it in turns to watch the tent for trouble sharing one wand between them. Whilst there, the forest was snowy, and its lake was frozen
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Ecurb Noselrub

So the forest is sort of a setting for an English "Deliverance" story.  Instead of dueling banjos there would be dueling lutes, I suppose.