News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

:o  Yer right, one turd is enough. But the hard right winger group is full of turds.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 01, 2023, 05:39:33 PM:o  Yer right, one turd is enough. But the hard right winger group is full of turds.

I agree. It's a shame that politics is in such a mess :(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 01, 2023, 02:04:11 PMCloset(?)
Nah, nihilists tend to be pretty open about it - whatever their political persuasion. They are plentiful though, or so it seems.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

this is how its done in the land of the free.

set the function, not the mechanism.

billy rubin

shit

went to pick up a 40 yard garbage compactor at a goodwill dropoff.

somebody had undone and stolen the door latch, unhooked the safety chain and left it that way. when i pulled the compactor away the door swung open and 500 pounds of old papers and broken glass fell out in the alley.

managed to clamp the door shut with a ratchet binder but the mechanics have to get creative with a welder to put a new latch on.

so a twenty minute job is nowv3 hours and the mechanics have left to go get something else that they need

Tank

Well it gave you a chance to post here. :)
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

thats true.

is your PM still plsnnimg on phasing out internal combustion motor cars by 2030?

seemed a bit ambitious to me at tbe time

Icarus

^ Hydrogen is the new fuel. Toyota is very busy developing their Hydrogen fueled car for general use.

Hydrogen fueled machines, it is claimed, can actually clean up some of the pollution that we are currently spewing. I'll bet that Hermes could 'splain some of that chemistry for us.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on October 05, 2023, 06:54:31 PMthats true.

is your PM still plsnnimg on phasing out internal combustion motor cars by 2030?

seemed a bit ambitious to me at tbe time

New sales of internal combustion engine cars are to stop in 2030 and plug in hybrids by 2035.

On a side note in the UK there are dedicated service areas for petrol etc. on the motorway/freeway network. In the US you just pull off and find what you need. One of the owners of a number of these 'Services' areas has had to introduce marshals to prevent 'charger rage'. At the moment there are no enough high speed charger points and thus people being people there are arguments in the queues for them. On top of this the electricity infrastructure to these service areas was never intended to support these high loads. So now even if they converted more spaces to charging they could not all be used at once. There are 800,000 pure EV's in the UK and only 46,000 fast charger points. It's going to get worse before it gets better. I think our next car will be a plugin hybrid so we get the best of both worlds.

Asmodean

Quote from: Icarus on October 06, 2023, 03:00:41 AM^ Hydrogen is the new fuel. Toyota is very busy developing their Hydrogen fueled car for general use.

Hydrogen fueled machines, it is claimed, can actually clean up some of the pollution that we are currently spewing. I'll bet that Hermes could 'splain some of that chemistry for us.
Trouble with hydrogen is how boom-happy it is.

Personally, I would like to see hydrogen power cells of some configuration send battery cars the way of the CD. Yes, it costs a bit to split up water to produce the stuff - on a other hand, it makes your energy storage highly portable and somewhat easy to scale. Now, if they manage to come up with a good binding medium for hydrogen, which can contain a lot without quite the explosiveness, then I think Nobel prizes and huge contracts may be in "their" future.

If not...

Hydrogen is a good way of storing energy since much of it by weight is actually in the air, but then gasoline is also an excellent way of storing energy, but it is politically correct to want to get rid of it rather than address the problems already here and those that will arise with continued use. "Everything" tends to become stupid - or at the very least, cater to the lowest common denominator - the moment decision-making in a democratic society is concerned.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding..

QuoteElectric cars, including Teslas, weigh more than conventional cars because of the high-voltage batteries and electric motors that power them. On average, EV batteries weigh about 1,000 pounds, but most weigh over 2,000 pounds because a larger battery means more power for the car.

Fk
Wouldn't it be more fun if we were driving go cart sized vehicles?
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Asmodean

Not two tonne Gokarts, I think. Also, a little difficult to stuff them full of toys and gizmos such as big screens and buttons that do... Things. And also stuff. Some buttons do... Stuff.

Gokarts are fun as long as they are very agile, very light and with comparatively strong engines. Remove that while keeping the tiny, and you are left with... Toyota IQ, more or less. Or the much-loathed Smart Fortwo.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding..

Asmodean

Yes. Now, remove light, agile and well-motorized (all three relatively/comparatively speaking, of course) and it becomes this;

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding..

Quote from: Asmodean on October 06, 2023, 01:34:12 PMYes. Now, remove light, agile and well-motorized (all three relatively/comparatively speaking, of course) and it becomes this;

No, these are the first of the new rules.
A vehicle will not weigh more than 80kg.
Centre lines will be replaced with shigawire strung at neck height.