News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 21, 2020, 10:37:01 AM
Quote from: Tank on November 21, 2020, 07:52:40 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on November 21, 2020, 03:23:46 AM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on November 21, 2020, 12:39:03 AM
Is this merely a disingenuous attempt to justify the purchase of a Burleigh & Stronginthearm match shortening saw?

It sounds like a good enough reason to me. The name Burleigh & Stronginthearm makes me want to buy one as well.

That's Discworld marketing for you.

Never read any of it, so thanks for the enlightenment.

If you're inclined to dip your toe in I suspect you may like Small Gods.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on November 21, 2020, 11:24:13 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on November 21, 2020, 10:37:01 AM
Quote from: Tank on November 21, 2020, 07:52:40 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on November 21, 2020, 03:23:46 AM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on November 21, 2020, 12:39:03 AM
Is this merely a disingenuous attempt to justify the purchase of a Burleigh & Stronginthearm match shortening saw?

It sounds like a good enough reason to me. The name Burleigh & Stronginthearm makes me want to buy one as well.

That's Discworld marketing for you.

Never read any of it, so thanks for the enlightenment.

If you're inclined to dip your toe in I suspect you may like Small Gods.

Thanks, Tank.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Catching up, here. Nice work, Tank, and my dust collector has duct tape on it too! When I bought a new shop vac it came with a 1-3/4" hose instead of 2" like the old one. Bedamned if I was going to take it back, though. I like the Burleigh&Stronginthearm reference. I re-read "Snuff" the other day.

Icarus

Dust collectors need a grounding circuit to conduct static electricity to ground.  Very fine dust particles can ignite when given the slightest spark.  Sure enough, table saw, band saw, and sanders make micro fine particles along with normal sized chips.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on November 21, 2020, 11:17:03 PM
Dust collectors need a grounding circuit to conduct static electricity to ground.  Very fine dust particles can ignite when given the slightest spark.  Sure enough, table saw, band saw, and sanders make micro fine particles along with normal sized chips.

I shall have a look at that point!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Icarus

Tank, the largest risk is when there is a larger longer length of pipes or hoses before entering the Cyclone. Such as the large shop that has long lengths of ducts that lead to the disposal unit.  Nonetheless there is a small but real risk even with the short length of tubing that enters your cyclone unit.

There are numerous You Tube videos that address the subject.

I confess that my garage, where my power tools live, are at some risk even if the risk is rather small.  I would be more than disappointed if I had some sort of spontaneous fire that destroyed my garage and the other parts of my living space. 

Suggestion: Use plastic bags to dispose of your saw dust collection of  course and fines to take kindness on your refuse collector people.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on November 23, 2020, 01:15:44 AM
Tank, the largest risk is when there is a larger longer length of pipes or hoses before entering the Cyclone. Such as the large shop that has long lengths of ducts that lead to the disposal unit.  Nonetheless there is a small but real risk even with the short length of tubing that enters your cyclone unit.

I confess that my garage, where my power tools live, are at some risk even if the risk is rather small.  I would be more than disappointed if I had some sort of spontaneous fire that destroyed my garage and the other parts of my living space. 

Suggestion: Use plastic bags to dispose of your saw dust collection of  course and fines to take kindness on your refuse collector people.

Good point about the dust in bags!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on November 20, 2020, 09:04:01 AM
Dead simple but effective candle holder. 8" x 3" x 1" piece of wood, 1 hole for hinge, length of dowel as hinge pin, washers to separate pieces, 6 holes for candles and 10 cuts on the band saw. Plus sanding and finish to suit.

Cool! 8)  Is it more complex than making a box?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on November 23, 2020, 01:15:44 AM

:lol: One of my neighbors worked as a trash collector for a time right out of high school. The incinerator crew wanted to make sure that he told them when he had a load from one of the carpenters in town, because they liked the fireball generated when they added the shavings and sawdust to the incinerator. In those days it was 35(?) gallon galvanized steel cans loaded into a hopper, so they were aware of what they were collecting.

Icarus

Having lived long enough to do some really dumb stuff, I have tales to tell.

I had a shallow tray of acetone that I was using to clean some tools.  I had been using epoxy or polyester or something.  It was nearing dusk and I thought to turn on the shop lights.  I had a solvent soaked rag in my hand when I flipped the light switch.  The rag burst into flames instantly. I hastily threw the burning rag over my head. Where would the burning rag land?  In the tray of acetone of course.  I managed to control the situation with my fire extinguisher in a big hurry.  No harm done except for some skid marks in my underpants.

The lights in the shop were fluorescent type.  Those lights have a ballast or transformer that makes the circuit induction reactive.  That is to say that the transformer  will kick back an instantaneous current when first energized.  Electric motors will do the same thing.  The bottom line is that the switch can cause a spark.  The lesson, if any, is: DO not have solvent rags in your hand when you flip the switch.

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 23, 2020, 11:14:24 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 20, 2020, 09:04:01 AM
Dead simple but effective candle holder. 8" x 3" x 1" piece of wood, 1 hole for hinge, length of dowel as hinge pin, washers to separate pieces, 6 holes for candles and 10 cuts on the band saw. Plus sanding and finish to suit.

Cool! 8)  Is it more complex than making a box?

Not really. There are no joints as such. It would be virtually impossible without the pillar drill as it requires accurate holes for the candles and the hinge pin. It takes about an 1 1/2 hours from the blank.

Bad Penny II

So, your Duplo/lego stuff is pricey.
We bought a lot it mostly duplo.

Duplo
I built two trains, one went to a nephew.
Two ships
A helicopter
An aeroplane
A castle

I liked the ships, they had carpet stuck on the bottom so they could traverse the hardwood floor sea.
The bigger ship had a drop down bit at the back so you could drive your duplo vehicle in.
It had a sticky out bit like modern ships do, with a small boat hanging on by string,  you could lower it, there was a magnet involved. It had had an anchor at the front, string and twisted insulated copper wire, anchor shaped.  You could land the helicopter on the back deck at need. Part of the front deck could be lifted off to access the lower deck. You could add an official duplo block and then add lego to that.  She sails no more.  I've still got the castle, we never really used it that much. 
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

Is the picture part of the damage to your place that happened during the fire?

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on November 24, 2020, 04:53:40 PM
Is the picture part of the damage to your place that happened during the fire?

Ye.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank