News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

It looks good — your patience has paid off. Linseed oil needs repeated applications, sometimes over weeks, because it disappears into the wood slowly.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on July 15, 2020, 10:17:22 PM
Still, it looks really nice. Excellent choices on the wood as well.  :bravo:

Thank you. Hobson would have been proud of my choice of wood. I have friended my local wood merchant and he lets me scrounge then ends of planks he cuts to length. I can take all I can carry to a tenner, in this case oak and sapele. :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on July 15, 2020, 10:26:48 PM
Bravo! I really like the way linseed oil pops the grain. You did well!

I agree I do like the texture brought out be the linseed oil. And the smell is nice too.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 16, 2020, 04:23:26 AM
It looks good — your patience has paid off. Linseed oil needs repeated applications, sometimes over weeks, because it disappears into the wood slowly.

It does soak in. I am experimenting with finishes and if you leave the linseed oil for a couple of weeks you can then varnish over it. I'm tending to a satin finish as a gloss finish looks too garish and artificial to me.

Recusant

Keep tung oil in mind in the future. Similar to linseed oil (and the rags from working with it are just as dangerous) but gives a more lustrous finish that is also more durable. If you don't go too many coats, it can have a good satin finish, not too glossy.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on July 16, 2020, 07:54:23 AM
Keep tung oil in mind in the future. Similar to linseed oil (and the rags from working with it are just as dangerous) but gives a more lustrous finish that is also more durable. If you don't go too many coats, it can have a good satin finish, not too glossy.

I got a book about different types of wood finish and tung oil is mentioned. I went for linseed simply because I had some :) I have added tung oil to my woodworking consumable list at Amazon so I don't forget it. I'll look around my other accounts to see if I can get it elsewhere before I but from Amazon, Jeff Bazos gets way too much business as it is :)

Tank

I can't use tung oil as it is derived from a nut. One of my grandsons has a nut allergy. So best not.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on July 16, 2020, 05:16:30 AM
Quote from: Recusant on July 15, 2020, 10:17:22 PM
Still, it looks really nice. Excellent choices on the wood as well.  :bravo:

Thank you. Hobson would have been proud of my choice of wood. I have friended my local wood merchant and he lets me scrounge then ends of planks he cuts to length. I can take all I can carry to a tenner, in this case oak and sapele. :)

Wow, that's a nice deal! There's a shop here in town that I hear does that. I'll check into it once this Covid-19 business "dies down" a bit.

Randy

Looking good, Tank! Looking good.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Tank

Tank

Been wood butchering again. This is from 2 pieces of Sapele, which comes in different shades. I made the box and then cut the complete box in half so it fits perfectly when shut. As the grain matches and the box was finished as a 'solid' the top and bottom are virtually invisible and you can hardly feel the join either.

Hinges are turning out to be a pain to find. You can't have high quality, small size and low cost all in one. You can get cheap small hinges on Amazon by the ton but finding small high quality hinges isn't possible (yet).

The other discovery is that good sand paper is expensive but cheap sand paper isn't worth the effort of buying! :)

One coat of linseed oil

Two coats of linseed oil

Dark Lightning

Nice! That has some nice figure in the grain. I have a plank of sapele that I have yet to do something with.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on July 25, 2020, 03:15:09 PM
Nice! That has some nice figure in the grain. I have a plank of sapele that I have yet to do something with.

It is a beautiful wood that rewards all the effort you put into it.

billy rubin

do you use boiled or unboiled linseed oil?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on July 25, 2020, 06:38:51 PM
do you use boiled or unboiled linseed oil?

Unboiled. Have you used both?