News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

It looks like a recurve to me, but I'm no expert.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

im going to send him the picture.

what im famiar with are the very short asian recurved military bows, cavalry ztyle

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

With all this time on my hands since retiring I have planes to tidy out 30 years of shite from my garage and build a workbench from some leftover chipboard and wood from a fitted wardrobe. Well the shite is now sufficiently reduced to give me some working space so I built my work bench. Fitted some nick-nack racks and a strip light. Common use tools mounted on the back board. My wood vice arrived today as well :)

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

You're going to need a bigger bench for a vise!

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

Did someone say bench? Here's one I recently built to carve on. The chest on the shelf I built to hold my large carving tools and mallets. I made it good and heavy so it doesn't move when I'm using the mallet to carve.

jumbojak

Well, my first bow is broken. On to the second attempt...

Recusant

Hickory would be a better choice for your next attempt I think, if you're not ready to try yew yet. Or, and this is one I hadn't thought of, vine maple. Having experience with vine maple, I can see how it could work for bows. Difficult to work because of the chaotic grain pattern, but very tough.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on April 06, 2020, 04:55:35 PM
Did someone say bench? Here's one I recently built to carve on. The chest on the shelf I built to hold my large carving tools and mallets. I made it good and heavy so it doesn't move when I'm using the mallet to carve.

Love that.

Dark Lightning

Thanks, Tank! The top is birch, and the legs and rails are all maple. Then just cheap maple plywood for the panels. The tool chest is made of red oak.

Recusant

If I ever got a space where I could put up a workbench, I'd probably go with the English joiner's bench. It's simpler to build than the standard woodworking bench, and can be dismantled fairly easily if needed.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

Quote from: jumbojak on April 06, 2020, 05:08:36 PM

what about osage orange?

any of that near you?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Recusant

Quote from: billy rubin on April 06, 2020, 08:20:56 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on April 06, 2020, 05:08:36 PM

what about osage orange?

any of that near you?

Ah, another one I hadn't thought of. The Indians used it, but I've never seen it even in a places that sell "exotic" wood.
— H. L. Mencken

jumbojak

Quote from: Recusant on April 06, 2020, 05:50:39 PM
Hickory would be a better choice for your next attempt I think, if you're not ready to try yew yet. Or, and this is one I hadn't thought of, vine maple. Having experience with vine maple, I can see how it could work for bows. Difficult to work because of the chaotic grain pattern, but very tough.

Availability and cost are a major deciding factor. Oak is the only readily available seasoned hardwood in this area aside from poplar, but I don't want to go that route. I think I'll have to split out some staves though.

billy rubin

Quote from: Recusant on April 06, 2020, 08:30:30 PM
what about osage orange?

any of that near you?

Ah, another one I hadn't thought of. The Indians used it, but I've never seen it even in a places that sell "exotic" wood.

it's considered a trash tree around here because the thorns are so fierce and its so invasive

i planted nine of them winter before last and the came up healthy and strong, but all died th efollowing winter

there's a couple along the road to my house, and my neighbor has a copse of them that he curses