Main Menu

Trains & Planes

Started by Bad Penny II, June 29, 2019, 10:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

hermes2015

One of the obvious ones.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Bad Penny II

QuoteJanuary–December

February – Portuguese explorer Vasco Da Gama reaches Malindi, in modern-day Kenya.
    March 2 – Vasco da Gama visits Quelimane and Mozambique, in southeastern Africa.
    May
        John Cabot leaves Bristol on an expedition, never to be seen again.
        The English Merchant Adventurers are granted a trade monopoly with the Netherlands.[1]
    May 20 – Portuguese navigator Vasco da Gama arrives at Calicut (now Kozhikode), India, becoming the first European to get there by sailing around Africa, thus discovering the maritime route to India. He finds a local Arab merchant who is able to interpret for him.
    May 23 – Girolamo Savonarola, ruler of Florence, is executed for criticizing the Pope.
    June – Niccolò Machiavelli is elected by the Great Council, as the second chancellor of the Republic of Florence.
    Summer – The final Welsh revolt of the medieval era breaks out in Meirionnydd, North Wales; Harlech Castle is captured by the rebels before the revolt is suppressed.
    July 31 – On his third voyage to the Western Hemisphere, Christopher Columbus becomes the first European to discover the island of Trinidad.
    August 1 – Columbus discovers the mouth of the Orinoco.
    August 4–12 – Columbus explores the Gulf of Paria.
    September 20 – 1498 Nankai earthquake off the coast of Japan.
    João Fernandes Lavrador and Pedro Barcelos journey to Greenland; during their voyage, they discover the land which they name Labrador.
    Probable date at which Leonardo da Vinci completes the painting The Last Supper, on the refectory wall of Santa Maria delle Grazie (Milan).

Quite a year.