News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

It's Sunday. What are you going to do today?

Started by Tank, February 14, 2021, 10:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

im swapping the magneto for an EI in my race bike

set the function, not the mechanism.

Dark Lightning

Find where the coolant is leaking from on my truck and repair it. Then finish assembling the new grille and install it.

hermes2015

I have had a successful Sunday brazing together a 500 mm diameter aluminium tray that is going to form part of a concrete garden sculpture. I was using a MAPP gas torch and HTS-2000 fluxless aluminium brazing rods. The base plate was cut from 3mm aluminium sheet on a CNC machine. My next job will be to clean it up and give it a matt finish by soaking it in a 0.1M NaOH solution for an hour or two. I had to buy a large stainless steel basin to hold the solution. This is the design.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

You're probably already done, but wouldn't soda-blasting also give a matte finish without the nasty chemicals?

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 06, 2023, 04:43:15 PMYou're probably already done, but wouldn't soda-blasting also give a matte finish without the nasty chemicals?

No, I haven't done it yet. You are right, but I've done it before and believe me I've handled worse things than sodium hydroxide, and it is quite convenient in my situation. In my day I used to make and handle nasty things like the diabolical diazomethane, that is not only a highly toxic gas, but also carcinogenic and explodes if you just look at it. Literally, because light can set it off. Other baddies I've handled were diisobutyl aluminium hydride, benzyl iodide, and mustard gas.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 06, 2023, 04:53:39 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 06, 2023, 04:43:15 PMYou're probably already done, but wouldn't soda-blasting also give a matte finish without the nasty chemicals?

No, I haven't done it yet. You are right, but I've done it before and believe me I've handled worse things than sodium hydroxide, and it is quite convenient in my situation. In my day I used to make and handle nasty things like the diabolical diazomethane, that is not only a highly toxic gas, but also carcinogenic and explodes if you just look at it. Literally, because light can set it off. Other baddies I've handled were diisobutyl aluminium hydride, benzyl iodide, and mustard gas.
Yeesh! I'll pass. I have dabbled with nitrogen triiodide, though.

As for myself, I got the old grille off my truck and attached the old brackets to the new grille. I need to go and get some j-nuts to install the turn signal/parking lamp buckets. They were mickey-moused in by my father in law when he put that incorrect grille in.

billy rubin

Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 06, 2023, 01:57:00 PMFind where the coolant is leaking from on my truck and repair it. Then finish assembling the new grille and install it.

pictures!

Dark Lightning

^ I'll get some pics tomorrow. The grille is assembled and ready to go back in, but I'm beat. I'll start in on it tomorrow morning while it's still cool out. It's 93° in the shade and I have no shade.

Icarus

It is Sunday and I already did what I was going to do on Sunday.

I set my alarm for 5 AM so that I could wake up and watch the womens football (soccer)match between Sweden and USA. I am not a morni ng person but this was an important event that needed my help. It was tremendous game in which USA dominated in all categories. The US women made 11 shots on goal to only one SOG for Sweden.

The square head women were plenty good and their Goalie was unbelievable. She blocked all those shots with her astounding athletic ability..

In the end My side lost on penalty kicks. 5-4

I'm rooting for the Swedes from here on. If my side loses, then I want them to lose only to the champions.   

Tank

2:45am Sunday morning, wake up. Get to Manchester Airport. Fly to Heathrow London. Fly to San Francisco. Arrive San Francisco airport 6:30pm still on Sunday. A very long Sunday.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Dark Lightning

That's a heckuva long flight! When I worked in Florida I knew a guy who surfed in the morning then flew to California and surfed in the afternoon there, too!

Here's a pic of my new grille, installed on the truck. I have yet to paint and install the headlight bezels.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on August 09, 2023, 03:01:29 AMThat looks really swish!

Thanks! (if "swish" is British jargon for nice) It's the design of grille that the truck came with. Looking at the picture, I can see where the bumper is bent. I was at an antique vehicle meetup last Saturday afternoon, and I realized that putting a new grille in the truck was the start of a slippery slope. I mentioned that to another attendee, who asked what I meant. I explained that once something shiny went on, more stuff had to be replaced to the same level of shiny. To straighten and replate that front bumper is about $500. All the side trim needs polishing and in the case of the lower trim, needs new wood-grain tape. I'm stopping at the grille, since I just wanted it to be the correct design. I have a friend who has dropped $60k in his truck, and it isn't even completely assembled. That amount doesn't include labor, because he's done almost all the work himself. He had "help" with the paint job, having it done at a body shop. But he's doing "indentured servitude" by sanding vehicles for the body shop manager, to pay for that paint job.

billy rubin

i cant remember. around 1972?

no side indicators until 1968 and i cant see the wheel cutout shapes or the interior

i dont knwo when the hubcaps got fancy. 1970?

my first car was a 1967 C10 stepside