News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What are you watching?

Started by Claireliontamer, October 31, 2015, 05:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Watching an livestream of Artemis-1. Looks like fixing issues and possibly avoiding weather, so... Nothing much happening on the scale that I can see.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Asmodean

Saw the first two episodes of Rings of Power. It's much as predicted. Garbage, albeit pretty garbage on occasion. There are a few actors who do try their damndest to carry this thing, but with little success.

I mean, maybe, if you neither care for Tolkien's universe or Jackson's adaptation... Or consistent writing or intelligent dialogue...

A billion dollars the thing cost. :sadshake:

I shall not spoil it for those who want to watch, but unless you already have a Prime account, I advise against getting one just for this show. It may pull itself out by the hair, but after two episodes of setting up nonsense... I honestly don't see it.

Rather than a single score, I'll try to give a breakdown;

Visuals: 3/5. Minus for the design of harfoots, armour and some dodgy special effects.
Cast performance: 2/5. A few "secondary" cast members have to carry for terrible performances by main cast. Not good enough.
Story: 1/5. Full of contradictions to the point of me never being able to achieve suspension of disbelief. Amazon's universe does not make sense within itself.
Cinematography: 4/5. Not among the best, but generally well-framed and well-executed.
Dialogue: 1/5. Far too many instances of quasi-intellectual nonsense, particularly from the elves. Sometimes, saying nothing when you have nothing to say is preferable to saying a lot without saying a thing. Overall, the dialogue is poorly-written and, in my honest opinion, not deserving of having Tolkien's name attached - however indirectly.
Pacing: 2/5. This is only the first two episodes, but it has elements, both rushed where it should be deliberate and on occasion, plodding with no apparent storytelling reason.

To summarise, while I'm not a huge fan of Tolkien's writing, compared to this bullshit, it's a 10 out of 5. I've only finished the books after watching Peter Jackson's trilogy, and there were things they did in the films that I would do differently - but then I also thought some changes they made were OK. Overall, an excellent adaptation, respectful of the lore and the way of storytelling. Amazon's is not even an adaptation at this point. If anything, it's an attempted money-grab using the name of a beloved franchise. While the first two episodes had some redeeming features as just-ye-regular-fantasy-series, they had none with regard to the source material - the universe from which they were supposed to draw. That's coming from a fan of Tolkien's universe, especially as told by Peter Jackson - so by no means at all a book purist.

My verdict: avoid.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

The Rings of Power. First 2 episodes.

7 to 8 out of 10. Well worth watching. :)

Just enjoy the story.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Wow. Just...

What story?! I'm totally starting a thread of its own and spoiling that shit for all it's worth!
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

Not sure of the name, but it's got the forth stooge (who is an orange gobblin). It also contains, bootlicking sycophantic parasites, and a hand basket that is remarkably prevalent.

Magdalena

Quote from: No one on September 03, 2022, 12:53:42 PMNot sure of the name, but it's got the forth stooge (who is an orange gobblin). It also contains, bootlicking sycophantic parasites, and a hand basket that is remarkably prevalent.

Ooh! You're watching the
Political Drama TV Show:
Fox & Friends Party At The West Wing?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Asmodean

Speaking of, remember The West Wing?

Heh... Them good old days. I remember enjoying it. Wonder if it's due for a rewatch to see how it aged - if at all.

That said, watched more House of the Dragon this weekend.

By the end of episode three... It's improving - going from watchable to actually good. I think by this point I might indeed do that breakdown thread I've been contemplating - full of spoilers, as such a thing would have to be. In any case, I went in expecting much less. For now, I continue to be happily proven wrong. Go HBO!
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding.

Midway through S2 of Raised By Wolves.
Well they got those weird religious types right.
The portrayal of atheists though is so unfair.
A society of atheists would be a paradise, we wouldn't squabble.
You may be very wrong, and think pineapple doesn't go on pizza, but I wouldn't kill you for that.  Your name would go on a list but I wouldn't attack, not straight away anyway.

Asmodean

I gave up on Raised By Wolves mid-way through season one. The story had a little bit of promise and in a genre I generally like, but I found the writing to have the subtlety of a freight train on fire and none of the cast had the charisma necessary to carry it in spite of that.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Asmodean on December 06, 2022, 10:17:11 AMI gave up on Raised By Wolves mid-way through season one. The story had a little bit of promise and in a genre I generally like, but I found the writing to have the subtlety of a freight train on fire and none of the cast had the charisma necessary to carry it in spite of that.

The Wheel of Time Asmo  showed promise but didn't really amount to much.
Have you read the Coldfire Trilogy?
I think Gerald Tarrant was an interesting,,, anti hero, hero?

The Magic Pudding.

billy rubin

i hane no problems with pineapple on pizza.

bananas, yes

artichokes, yes

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

Giving Raised by Wolves a other chance. I want to like that show. I dislike being bored or have my immersion constantly broken when watching or reading Sci-Fi/fantasy. The concept has potential too - some cool minimalistic visuals and appealing aesthetics also... But for the writing. Well, also the acting. Mostly by the "main" kid, but he's a kid, so... He probably doesn't know how to carry a poor writers' room or lacklustre directing yet.

Still, I shall try and stick with it through season one at least.

Quote from: The Magic Pudding. on December 06, 2022, 10:44:21 AMThe Wheel of Time Asmo  showed promise but didn't really amount to much.
Have you read the Coldfire Trilogy?
I think Gerald Tarrant was an interesting,,, anti hero, hero?
I have Black Sun Rising in my "bin of sin." Was meaning to read, but simply never got around to it. Now that I'm reminded though... There be possibilities.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.