News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

What are you watching?

Started by Claireliontamer, October 31, 2015, 05:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfen

Senior Year Netflix
Huge fan of Rebel Wilson, so I liked it.

Season four of Stranger Things (Netflix)
It's finally here!

Anne D.

Quote from: Wolfen on May 27, 2022, 09:29:24 AMSenior Year Netflix
Huge fan of Rebel Wilson, so I liked it.

Oh man, I hadn't heard about this til I read your post. Totally going to be watching that. I love Rebel Wilson too.

Tom62

I've just finished binge watching all seasons of Futurama
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Wolfen

Since I'm taking a break from gaming right now, I guess I'll be catching up with what's on Netflix.

Finished what's available for season four of Stranger Things. The cliffhanger, yes you read that right, at least clarified something. The conclusion won't be available till July 1st. Why? Why do that?

Anywho, then I watched Welcome to Eden
QuoteA group of young adults attend a party on a remote island, but the tempting paradise they find waiting for them holds dangerous secrets and entrapments.
I liked it.

Now I'm watching and finishing up with Cracow Monsters
QuoteA young woman haunted by her past joins a mysterious professor and his group of gifted students who investigate paranormal activity and fight demons.
Liking it, as well.

Asmodean

Re-watching me some Blacklist. Charismatic cast, an interesting overarching story ark, some well-executed minor story arks... I like it. It's no wonder it survived for nine seasons and, from what I know, got renewed for a tenth.

I watch it on Netflix, which brings me to an interesting point; I do hope Netflix gets their reorganisation thing sorted, so that they may make good content - not just buy rights to it. Most of their originals I've tried to watch are excruciatingly, mind-numbingly bad or have zero staying power. Or both. Not worth the expense, but for an occasional Blacklist and such.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Wolfen

Quote from: Asmodean on May 30, 2022, 10:17:49 AMRe-watching me some Blacklist.

I watched a few seasons of that, but I never returned to it. I enjoyed what I saw, not sure why I didn't continue with it. Maybe one day I will.

Wolfen

Looks as though I won't be watching Netflix for too long. Months and months of not watching anything there produced merely a week's worth of watchable content. Go figure.

Anywho, I have recently watched:

Human Resources
Because I'm a fan of Big Mouth

Seasons two and three of Love, Death & Robots

Season two of Bridgerton
I consider this show my guilty pleasure. It may seem like a typical, mindless historical romance, but it's actually quite witty.

Movie, Disappearance at Clifton Hill
I had reservations, at first, before I even hit the play button, but it turned out to be a good one. At least, from my perspective, much better than the IMDB rating suggests.

Wolfen

Forgot to mention that I finally finished watching Pieces of Her
Not bad.

Now, I'm finally watching The Wheel of Time on Prime.

Asmodean

Quote from: Wolfen on June 01, 2022, 12:11:40 PMNow, I'm finally watching The Wheel of Time on Prime.
I thought that one was an appalling injustice to the books, and not even for any sort of valid TV-adaptation reasons.

Well-enough made, but... Not how the world of Wheel of Time works, nor how its story unfolds. It's just so much... Less, as an exercise in storytelling.

If you haven't yet, I highly recommend the book series. If no time for that - try audiobooks, truly superbly narrated by Michael Kramer and Kate Reading.

Also, just to flash my nerd cred on the subject, my very screen name comes from that world. If anybody wants to flash theirs, do you remember, without looking up, who he was or have any ideas as to why I chose the name? Come on, people! Let's get a nice nerd-out started!
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Wolfen

Quote from: Asmodean on June 01, 2022, 12:30:05 PMIf you haven't yet, I highly recommend the book series.

I semi-recall having read the first book many years ago. Apparently, I didn't like it enough to stick with the series.

I'm more of a Terry Goodkind, Sword of Truth, fan.

Asmodean

Quote from: Wolfen on June 01, 2022, 12:47:56 PMI semi-recall having read the first book many years ago. Apparently, I didn't like it enough to stick with the series.

I'm more of a Terry Goodkind, Sword of Truth, fan.
It can be a bit of an acquired taste, if nothing else for the sheer number of way-too-strong personalities, but the story really takes off from the later chapters of the first book, then it has its rises and falls through the 15-volume series, but as I see it, its highs are so much higher than its lows. The minor (or, less-major) story arks are mostly excellent, such as, spoiling as little as I am able, Perrin's later Emond's Field ark, Mat's Ebou Dar ark, Egwene, Nynaeve and others' Salidar story and even Rand, who is frankly one of my least-favourite characters goes through some very interesting and well-told developments.

I think that's what really draws me to the world of Wheel of Time - its internal consistency and interdependency, allowing for branching of stories and compelling meetings of those branches. It's... Intricate, in spite of certain things (such as some love drama I cannot discuss without spoiling) feeling a tad bit railroaded. (Railroaded as in, "the plot demands it.")

The Asmo wanders off to the soothing voices of Kramer and Reading - re-listening book five right now.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Anne D.

The Innocents. Norwegian horror. Creepy kids. It was really good.

Asmodean

Re-watched Peter Jackson's LOTR trilogy over the weekend.

He did manage to build a statue to himself alongside that of Tolkien. A lesser statue, some would say, but now that the bronze has aged to green, I think it will stand as long and proud as Tolkien's - in spite of Amazon barging in, spraying  graffiti loosely resembling their logo all over them both.

I mean, yes, there are choices I would have made differently. Tom Bombadil should absolutely have been in the movies, for starters. Still, all things considered, as an exercise in cinematic storytelling, Jackson's Lord of the Rings is in a class of its own.

I expect the Rings of Power to be absolute garbage, as per my above metaphor, and not just because it's not Tolkien, but Amazon's current-year interpretation and "improvement" upon his universe. I expect the writing, directing and the overall vision to be trash, for starters. Will I be pleasantly surprised? I guess we'll know in a month.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

the LOTR movies were good, but speaking as somebody who first read the books well over 50 years ago and then read them to my kids in the evening, the books were better.

but its a no-win situation, you know. no matter what the movies were, the books cannot help but be better to someone who must have read them a dozen times before the movies we re made.

i am interested in hearing the opinion of someone who saw the motion pictures first, and only then read the books.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Loved, loved, loved Lucifer on Netflix. 93 episodes so it's a long haul.

Little bit of trivia with no spoilers. Lucifer owns a nightclub Lux in Los Angeles. He's seen sitting at and playing a piano in some early episodes. But it's not until episode 9 that we here him sing. The actor has a fantastic voice! They didn't know this when they hired him and only found out when the cast and crew went out and did karaoke and were blown away. So they added a song to that and a few others throughout the series. It's got a lot of humour but when it gets serious it gets serious. A good blend.

Currently on series 501 of Vikings. More blood than a slaughter house. And I love the character Floki. 
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.