News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Quote from: Dark Lightning on June 22, 2020, 02:56:00 AM
Quote from: Icarus on June 22, 2020, 01:23:53 AM
You gentlemen are being admirably patient with me.  I will, with your help, and my ignorant determination,  deliver myself into the 21 first century as DL suggests.

OK, do you have an imgur account with pictures in it, yet?

Once you get there, and copy a link, it will look like this: https://i.imgur.com/m5anmZk.jpg, except that I took the "img" from the front of the url, and the "/img" from the end, so that a picture doesn't actually get displayed here, for clarity. Hopefully this shows like I expect. There should be brackets on the items in quoted, but they have to be omitted to display what is going on. To the uninitiated, this may be even more confusing.

The easiest way to handle such instruction is to use the code tags available in the forum software. This works for both active links and BB Code (forum tags). For instance, if I want to give the address of a site, but show the details without it being an active link, I'd put code tags around it. The button on the text editing page that will populate some code tags has a hashmark (#) on it. In your text entry box the tags look like this: [code]  [/code]

In use, the text you enter between the code tags remains only text, and won't produce the result it would outside code tags. So for an image address you'd see the following:

https://i.imgur.com/GiAaIDc.jpg

In the same way, if I want to talk to somebody about some forum function that uses tags, I would use the code tags in my description. For instance, if I were telling them about how to embed a video, I'd show the tags like so:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-4TgOz_FQE[/youtube]

Now for something completely different--

Taunton Press, the publishers of Fine Woodworking (and Fine Homebuilding), have made a basic video tutorial on hand planes available for free for a limited time. Ten segments, if you include the introduction, probably available for about a week. It'll go back behind a paywall after that.

As I say, it's the basics, but perhaps some may find it informative. I've been reading both those magazines off and on for a couple of decades, and can vouch for the material.

"Ep 1 – Fundamentals of Handplanes: Intro" | Fine Woodworking

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on June 22, 2020, 05:38:28 AM

Now for something completely different--

Taunton Press, the publishers of Fine Woodworking (and Fine Homebuilding), have made a basic video tutorial on hand planes available for free for a limited time. Ten segments, if you include the introduction, probably available for about a week. It'll go back behind a paywall after that.

As I say, it's the basics, but perhaps some may find it informative. I've been reading both those magazines off and on for a couple of decades, and can vouch for the material.

"Ep 1 – Fundamentals of Handplanes: Intro" | Fine Woodworking

Well that was very interesting and at the same time thoroughly depressing.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Why was it depressing for you, Tank?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

I've subscribed to Fine Woodworking for decades. I think I have an account or membership at the site. I'll have to check that hand plane tutorial out. I can always learn something.

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on June 22, 2020, 03:28:53 PM

It show what an amateur I am :(
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Randy

Quote from: Tank on June 22, 2020, 04:25:51 PM

We were all amateurs at some point. You'll get there. Besides, you are doing a fine job. :)
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

hermes2015

I get the same feeling when I look at the works of real artists and then consider what I have produced. If people express admiration for my stuff, I feel like a charlatan.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: Randy on June 22, 2020, 04:37:23 PM

We were all amateurs at some point. You'll get there. Besides, you are doing a fine job. :)

Well I'm getting better :)

Recusant

You're opening up new vistas for yourself, of skills and equipment. Think of the toys you'll convince yourself you need, and the fun you'll have learning to use them effectively.  ;D
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Aw Tank. :therethere:

If it's any consolation, I couldn't cut a line if I tried, let alone a square or a wooden die!  ;) You're going to learn how to do new things really quickly, you'll see!  ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 22, 2020, 04:53:46 PM

I get the same feeling when I look at the works of real artists and then consider what I have produced. If people express admiration for my stuff, I feel like a charlatan.

It's the same for me with wood carving. I know that I have a ways to go to get to the skill level I aspire to. But I've only been carving "in earnest" for a few hours a week for the last five years, and most of it is self-taught. I'm doing more now, at home than I was before the lock down.

billy rubin

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 22, 2020, 04:53:46 PM

and yet van gogh never sold a painting in his life and ended up blowing his brains out in a stinking corn field

i am not suggestng that you follow him, but im pointingout that in the end successful art is an expression of an inner space, and sometimes the artist himself is least qualified to evaluate what he has produced.

seriously/.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Continuing the 'getting things square' theme I considered making a chess board. Thank goodness I didn't have enough dark wood! There are 64 squares on a chess board. But I did have enough dark wood to make a Noughts & Crosses (Tic, Tac, Toe) board. I finished the board with 40, 80, 120, 180, 240 grit machine sanding and then some 600 grit by hand. Then coated it in linseed oil.

Getting the pieces of wood adequately square was 'fun'. I made a jig to hold the wood and then tried the router. It throws little bits of wood quite a distance! But the jig worked if I used a saw so it wasn't a waste. Glued the three columns first then got those square on the mating edges and then glued the columns together. It's about 4" on a side.

Unfinished

Finished.

This is the first project that as ended up basically as intended.

hermes2015

It looks good, Tank. You know what's coming next? If she does not have one yet, your wife is going to demand you make her a butcher's block in one form or another for the kitchen.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00oH_LB-2rlJqDdEC7BuNfjgeZ-CA:1592903553233&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=butchers+block&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjPms6TzJfqAhUxoXEKHf9nBUoQ7Al6BAgGEEM&biw=1876&bih=936
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 23, 2020, 10:15:36 AM
It looks good, Tank. You know what's coming next? If she does not have one yet, your wife is going to demand you make her a butcher's block in one form or another for the kitchen.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00oH_LB-2rlJqDdEC7BuNfjgeZ-CA:1592903553233&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=butchers+block&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjPms6TzJfqAhUxoXEKHf9nBUoQ7Al6BAgGEEM&biw=1876&bih=936

Fortunately my wife would never want one of those  :rofl: