News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Parents pride thread

Started by Siz, January 27, 2012, 06:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

Aww, what a trooper.

My son doesn't have any drawers in his room because I was afraid that exact thing would happen. He's in a super monkey phase where he climbs over/up everything. Scary  :-[
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Guardian85

Quote from: Stevil on January 28, 2012, 07:17:34 PM
My three year old broke her arm two weeks ago, she was very lucky that it wasn't worse.

She had decided to climb up the set of drawers in her room. Had pulled out the bottom draw, stood on it, had her arms inside the top draw and the whole thing fell on top of her. It is at least twice if not three times heavier than her.

Lucky I was home at the time, my wife would not have been able to lift her and the drawers up.
Lucky it was her arms in the top draw and not just her fingers, and lucky her head didn't get it.

If it was her sister under that I doubt she would have survived.

Warning to parents, pull out the bottom draw and push down on it, check how stable your drawers are.

Warning to parents or older siblings:
Kids like to climb on shit!

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

Warning to Asmos: Rubbies save lives - including those of the unborn children  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Stevil

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 28, 2012, 10:58:30 PM
Looks like she's keeping her cast pristine -- is she planning to let people doodle on it later?

That was the first cast, they had wrapped it in cloth. That photo was probably a day or two after the accident.

She has a pink fibreglass cast now, and we have been writing on it, its such a cliche thing to do though.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Stevil on January 28, 2012, 11:51:43 PM
She has a pink fibreglass cast now, and we have been writing on it, its such a cliche thing to do though.

I don't know, I remember as a kid that was the big thrill of having a cast -- having everybody sign their name, make a funny comment or draw a picture on it.  Depending on how artistic your friends and family were, by the time it came off you could have a piece of real, if smelly, art.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Amicale

Quote from: Stevil on January 28, 2012, 08:23:18 PM
She's doing OK.

She's adorable!  ;D Poor kiddo, though, I'm sorry she got all banged up! Yikes!

I guess I'm thankful my own little 3 and a half year old monkey isn't a climber. She's exactly like me - uncoordinated and klutzy. She drops half the stuff she picks up, and she's very adept at tripping over what are apparently dust molecules.  :D

Yesterday she was helping me in the kitchen, and "we" were making dinner. I handed her the forks and spoons and asked her to put them on the table. I assumed she'd just dump them on the table, and I'd put them in place later. Nope! When I turned around, we each had a fork and a spoon very carefully laid out on each placemat, and she was very gently putting a napkin out of the basket next to each! I was so proud! And it was adorable because she was on her tippy-toes to reach the top of the table!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Amicale on January 29, 2012, 01:16:06 AM
I was so proud! And it was adorable because she was on her tippy-toes to reach the top of the table!

Now there's a picture worth having.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

The Magic Pudding

Tank

My little tribe. The one on the left is now a mum. The one in the middle has almost completed his PhD. The one on the right is an exceptional medical photographer.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Siz

@Stevil

Is she at the seaside? Rotten place to be and not allowed to swim!
Good luck Stevilette!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Stevil

She loves to get into the waves, but she just loves the beach anyway.

Stevil

Quote from: Tank on January 29, 2012, 07:19:57 AM
My little tribe. The one on the left is now a mum. The one in the middle has almost completed his PhD. The one on the right is an exceptional medical photographer.
Looks like that photo was a bit of a mission to take.

So fascinating looking at kids and wondering what they will grow up to be, remarkable from such humble beginnings.

Stevil

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on January 29, 2012, 07:55:12 AM
Quote from: Tank on January 29, 2012, 07:19:57 AM
Looks like that photo was a bit of a mission to take.

So fascinating looking at kids and wondering what they will grow up to be, remarkable from such humble beginnings.

This is the one on the rights wedding Sep '11

They grow up so fast :(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Mini-Tanks are all big, in other words..?

Always wondered, and it may sound rather politically incorrect, but don't the "before" and "after" pictures make you feel... Old?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.