News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Thanks.  New use to me.  I usually think of DC5's "Bits and Pieces" song, which now takes on an entirely new meaning.

hermes2015

Quote from: Davin on September 29, 2021, 10:36:37 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 29, 2021, 10:25:35 PM
Bits?
Twigs and berries, gonads, naughty bits, lady parts, dangly bits, crotch, groin, meat and veg, privy parts, loins, vulva, nuts, pudenda, stones, testes, testicles, vulva, private parts, reproductive organs, sexual organs...

Lunch.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

:lol: Works no matter one's preference!

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

nebraska

was pretty clearyesterday

900 miles to get here from ohio with a load of wood pellets, 850 miles back to mchigan with  steel coils.

up at 0330 this morning in tne rain, but had to pull off and stop after oly a half an hour with the lightning howling over the radio and the wipers running in second place on the windshield  now im waiting on an offramp forfirst light, so i can get moving again.

ive got 13.5 hours left to work today, but i aint moving from here until i can see the road

set the function, not the mechanism.

billy rubin

Bad Penny II

Quote from: jumbojak on September 29, 2021, 10:23:40 PM
If shark attacks are that common a tourniquet seems like basic beach gear. Even if the bite is high near the groin a water bottle under the tourniquet is very effective.

Shark attacks aren't common, a few fatal attacks may happen in the area encompassed by Bruno's map each year.  Covid got someone returning from a cruise back at the start, since then none.  So sharks are more deadly than Covid around here.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Bad Penny II on September 30, 2021, 12:34:56 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on September 29, 2021, 10:23:40 PM
If shark attacks are that common a tourniquet seems like basic beach gear. Even if the bite is high near the groin a water bottle under the tourniquet is very effective.

Shark attacks aren't common, a few fatal attacks may happen in the area encompassed by Bruno's map each year.  Covid got someone returning from a cruise back at the start, since then none.  So sharks are more deadly than Covid around here.

Is it true that most people get attacked by sharks in three feet of water about ten feet from the beach?
And that... and that before people started to swim for recreation - I mean before sharks knew what they were missing - that a lot of these attacks weren't reported?
Now a shark that... that... that swims alone, a rogue...he keeps swimmin' around in a place where the feeding is good until the food supply is gone, right?
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on September 30, 2021, 01:31:41 PM
Is it true that most people get attacked by sharks in three feet of water about ten feet from the beach?
And that... and that before people started to swim for recreation - I mean before sharks knew what they were missing - that a lot of these attacks weren't reported?
Now a shark that... that... that swims alone, a rogue...he keeps swimmin' around in a place where the feeding is good until the food supply is gone, right?

I apologise, my first reaction was "of course not," sharks, around here at least take surfers out the back where the waves form.  Or sometimes serious swimmers who trust too much in statistics.  What the trump is Burno smoking?

I was so slow, but I did eventually catch the reference, the sea/The Holy See, your post is so obviously addressing the Fourth Council of Constantinople,  :en route: :thumbsup:

QuoteWith the coronation of Charlemagne by Pope Leo III in 800, his new title as Patricius Romanorum, and the handing over of the keys to the Tomb of Saint Peter, the papacy had acquired a new protector in the West. This freed the pontiffs to some degree from the power of the emperor in Constantinople, but it also led to a schism, because the emperors and patriarchs of Constantinople interpreted themselves as the true descendants of the Roman Empire dating back to the beginnings of the Church.[11] Pope Nicholas I had refused to recognize Patriarch Photios I of Constantinople, who in turn had attacked the pope as a heretic, because he put ham on his sandwiches one Friday, which really pissed off the Holy Spirit who emanated a report to God the Father and the Son. The council condemned Photius, who questioned the legality of the papal delegates presiding over the council, and ended the schism.[12] The council met in ten sessions from October 869 to February 870 and issued 27 canons.

It's so obvious, I don't know why I didn't see it right away, probably dementia of some sort.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Icarus

Quote from: billy rubin on September 30, 2021, 10:48:29 AM
nebraska

was pretty clearyesterday

900 miles to get here from ohio with a load of wood pellets, 850 miles back to mchigan with  steel coils.

up at 0330 this morning in tne rain, but had to pull off and stop after oly a half an hour with the lightning howling over the radio and the wipers running in second place on the windshield  now im waiting on an offramp forfirst light, so i can get moving again.

ive got 13.5 hours left to work today, but i aint moving from here until i can see the road

Billy, that photo tells more than a quick glance can reveal.   The Horizon line is almost straight, the road has some odd wiggles in it, the vegetation is green in the near right side, A huge amount of land has been stripped, presumably the crops have been harvested, Not many trees in that large area.............What the hell?  Much of Kansas has no trees at all.....That whole scene is going to be covered with white in only a few weeks.. Fascinating picture when studied at length.

Please post more pictures in other parts of the country.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Bad Penny II on September 30, 2021, 03:03:31 PM
Quote from: Papasito Bruno on September 30, 2021, 01:31:41 PM

I apologise, my first reaction was "of course not," sharks, around here at least take surfers out the back where the waves form.  Or sometimes serious swimmers who trust too much in statistics.  What the trump is Burno smoking?

I was so slow, but I did eventually catch the reference, the sea/The Holy See, your post is so obviously addressing the Fourth Council of Constantinople,  :en route: :thumbsup:

QuoteWith the coronation of Charlemagne by Pope Leo III in 800, his new title as Patricius Romanorum, and the handing over of the keys to the Tomb of Saint Peter, the papacy had acquired a new protector in the West. This freed the pontiffs to some degree from the power of the emperor in Constantinople, but it also led to a schism, because the emperors and patriarchs of Constantinople interpreted themselves as the true descendants of the Roman Empire dating back to the beginnings of the Church.[11] Pope Nicholas I had refused to recognize Patriarch Photios I of Constantinople, who in turn had attacked the pope as a heretic, because he put ham on his sandwiches one Friday, which really pissed off the Holy Spirit who emanated a report to God the Father and the Son. The council condemned Photius, who questioned the legality of the papal delegates presiding over the council, and ended the schism.[12] The council met in ten sessions from October 869 to February 870 and issued 27 canons.

It's so obvious, I don't know why I didn't see it right away, probably dementia of some sort.

Perhaps, thou did not yet have enough coffee, and that is why thy didn't get my reference?  :offtobed:

I just watched the movie Jaws last weekend. Hadn't seen it in years. It's really a fantastic movie.
I saw it when it first came out in 75'. Went to the theatre with my Dad and one of my sisters, I was only 10 years old. The theatre was so full that I had to sit by myself as we couldn't find three seats together. It's the last film I ever saw that actually gave me nightmares, I woke up that night screaming, as I was dreaming my bed was floating in the ocean and the giant shark was swimming under my bed (I used to have horrible nightmares as a child)

That first time I saw the movie, I was simply engrossed by the fear of the shark...but as I got older and rewatched, I began to appreciate what a truly fantastic movie it really was, as well as appreciate the wonderful characters and actors in the movie.
Robert Shaw as Quint was superb, especially the scene when he retells the story of the Annapolis...one of my all time favorite movie scenes.
Of course the Mayor, portrayed so well by Murray Hamilton is really a perfect analogy to current American Conservatives, as he cares more about making money from tourism, than he does scientific experts whose advice go against his pocketbook and his ideology. No different than the way Trump reacted to Covid, or other Republicans respond to things like global warming.

Anyway it's a great movie.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

billy rubin

Quote from: Icarus on September 30, 2021, 11:55:29 PM
Please post more pictures in other parts of the country.

ive mostly been in the great plains lately, western ohio, indiana, illinois, iowa, and nebraska. although i was in georgia, kentucky, and tennessee last week. geaorgia was spectacular. what a unique culture once you get out in the boondocks

today is friday, and early this morning i dropped off a load of slinkies from nebraska at a pickle plant in michigan-- detroit, bruno-- and then picked up a 41,000 pound steel coil to take to south carolina on monday. lots of different geography comiong up, so ill tak esome photos

youre right about the plains, though. beautiful place  in th espring, when the flowers go insane and the twisters walk the prairie. but in th ewinter its wooly mammoth country and i don't like it at all.

i was driving through central michigan today on the wooded flatlands, and suddenly i was in the middle of small rolling hills. i said, whats this, terminal moraines? and started looking for rock piles out in the fields, which is what farmers up there do with all the boulders the glaciers dropped when they last ran through. but there werent any, and then i saw that the hills were all overgrown dunes of clean sand. i don't know anything about michigan except that it was a paleozoic depositional basin that the glaciers ground flat, so i cant say what the sand was. ill have to look itup

anywy, pictures to come

Recusant

Quote from: Magdalena on September 18, 2021, 08:36:00 AM
Did anybody see this tonight?
Jupiter, the moon, and Saturn...Wow!  :tellmemore:

It was a beautiful show, and now the Moon is a wonderful waning crescent.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on October 03, 2021, 07:14:52 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on September 18, 2021, 08:36:00 AM
Did anybody see this tonight?
Jupiter, the moon, and Saturn...Wow!  :tellmemore:

It was a beautiful show, and now the Moon is a wonderful waning crescent.

QuoteThe crescent Moon pairs beautifully with dazzling Venus during October.
Sky & Telescope
Wow! Venus.
So bright.
  :tellmemore:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

I'm in London.  I can't see shit.  I'm used to going outside and seeing it all.  So, I have to compensate by drinking whiskey and ale. Poor me.