News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Diamonds from thin air.

Started by Tank, October 11, 2021, 09:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

That's pretty neat! I wonder if the process is pressure and chilling to get the CO2 to condense? As I understand it, the value of diamonds due to "scarcity" is contrived, as many of them are locked up in vaults.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 11, 2021, 02:28:27 PM
That's pretty neat! I wonder if the process is pressure and chilling to get the CO2 to condense? As I understand it, the value of diamonds due to "scarcity" is contrived, as many of them are locked up in vaults.

As you say the scarcity value is contrived. GE worked out how to make flawless gem quality diamonds decades ago. The existing cartel basically said they would flood the market making GE's technology too expensive. An agreement was reached :)
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

Given the cruelty of the diamond digging business, I'd rather buy a manufactured stone. I wonder if the process here is going to meet the same fate? If they were cheap enough  ::) I'd buy them instead of mined diamonds.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 11, 2021, 04:12:00 PM
Given the cruelty of the diamond digging business, I'd rather buy a manufactured stone. I wonder if the process here is going to meet the same fate? If they were cheap enough  ::) I'd buy them instead of mined diamonds.

I totally agree. De Beers effectively controls the gem diamond market and insists that synthetic diamonds are laser etched to distinguish them from 'real' diamonds.  ::)

billy rubin

what is the attraction of diamonds? there are lots of common minerals that are just a sparkly, if thats whats important.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

If one wants "rare", they should pick emeralds or rubies; "diamond engagement rings didn't become popular until 1947 when De Beers, the British company that mined diamonds in South Africa, launched an advertising campaign. With the help of Hollywood stars and the slogan, "A diamond is forever," diamond engagement rings skyrocketed in popularity."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on October 11, 2021, 05:21:36 PM
what is the attraction of diamonds? there are lots of common minerals that are just a sparkly, if thats whats important.

Diamond has the highest refractive index of a clear transparent material. In its modern 'brilliant cut' it is the sparkliest gem  ;D

billy rubin

i see. ive seen a lot of minerals in thin section, but those are ground so thin that they allow light to pass even if tbe mineral itself is otherwise opaque

still, the sparkliness doesnt have any appeal for me. just another of lifes mysteries, i guess

but now im curious. old gemstones like QE2's in the tower are pretty old. how did people cut gemstones in the old old dsys?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on October 11, 2021, 06:24:39 PM
i see. ive seen a lot of minerals in thin section, but those are ground so thin that they allow light to pass even if tbe mineral itself is otherwise opaque

still, the sparkliness doesnt have any appeal for me. just another of lifes mysteries, i guess

but now im curious. old gemstones like QE2's in the tower are pretty old. how did people cut gemstones in the old old dsys?

AFAIK they created facets by grinding the front but not so much the back. The modern 'brilliant cut' was calculated from the actual refractive index so the light entering the front face gets refracted/reflected/refracted to give the maximum spectral dispersion and thus colour to the viewer. Prior to this diamond 'cutting' was much more an art than science.

Ecurb Noselrub

(In a Monty Python accent) How do you know so much about diamonds?

No one

What does Lucy say about this?