News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

This is serious. This is real. Mubarak Bala

Started by Tank, April 29, 2020, 07:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

IAA Advisory Board Member Arrested For Blasphemy - Call To Action

The IAA member in question is Mubarak Bala, I have known him on Facebook for years. He is an brave and exceptional campaigner for freedom from religion. He is now in prison in Nigeria on charges of blasphemy. If you value your freedom of speech, be you atheist or theist, you need to speak out now.

This is not the first time Mubarak Bala has been incarcerated. He was put in a mental hospital for being an atheist. He needs our help.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

From what I understand, they are still into witch-burning over there.

I doubt us getting righteously outraged about it from the safety of our own First World will accomplish anything at all. A legal defence fund... Yes, maybe. Still, one wonders what kind of legal system a country still "into" magic and witches possesses.

I'm not averse to helping out, but the only real way I see of doing so is monetarily, and the call for donations reads like a used car lot commercial. "Go straight to the donation page here: Donate now" "This is your chance to make a difference!"

Yeah... No. No, I will not go straight to the donation page. How do you intend to spend my money, precisely? Have you an attorney with a plan? No? Then what are the chances of a successful legal defence in a country where blasphemy laws make this case legally legitimate? Whether or not the defence itself is successful, what are the chances of using this case to enact measurable changes to law/government policy? To raise public support/awareness in the country in question? Is there a plan towards those ends? How will I be "making a difference?"

I wish the guy and all involved in trying to free him the very best of luck, but don't ask me for money even before you know how to spend it.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

I have contributed. If you were in prison I would do what I could to help you.

Asmodean

Thank you.

Still, I think it's worth clarifying that I am not saying that I'm unwilling to help, but that in order for me to do so, the organizers have to do a little homework first.

I supported Dankula's defence fund - but not before he came out with the very sort of details I requested here. (and his plan for any remaining money, although that would not have been a deal-breaker to me regardless) I supported Sargon in his defence against a fraudulent copyright claim, but would not have, had he not justified the need (He already had legal counsel and was well into the case) I would support Mr. Bala too, if the fund was better justified. (As in, how is this helping?) When it is, pitch the case to me again and I shall donate the same to him as I did to the abovementioned two.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Asmodean

Yes. Do. This is certainly worth following. When they have engaged an attorney and come up with some sort of a battle plan, I shall pitch the donation link to a few people I know who may find the cause worthy.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on April 29, 2020, 09:50:57 AM
Yes. Do. This is certainly worth following. When they have engaged an attorney and come up with some sort of a battle plan, I shall pitch the donation link to a few people I know who may find the cause worthy.

:thumbsup:

Tank

From the gofundme page.

"Six years ago, our co-founder, Courtney Heard, helped launch the #FreeMubarak social media campaign after her friend, Mubarak Bala, had been committed to a psychiatric hospital for being an atheist. After getting the attention of major news outlets like the BBC, The Guardian, The AP and Vice, Mubarak was finally freed. In the time since, he has become a prolific humanist activist in Nigeria, helping the secular movement grow there.

This morning, we got word that Mubarak has been arrested in Nigeria and this time, he's in custody in prison for blasphemy.

We reached out to Mubarak's colleague at the Humanist Association of Nigeria, Leo Igwe and he has informed us that they are looking for a lawyer tomorrow.

Understand that this is personal for us. Mubarak is a valued member of our advisory board. He's also a colleague and friend. This person takes compassion and selflessness to another level. When he was freed from the psychiatric ward back in 2014, we launched a second campaign to bring him to North America, where he would be safe from this sort of thing. He opted out of that, knowing that his activism was needed more in Nigeria. He stayed, despite the willingness of many people to fight for him to come here, and despite the danger he faced, because he knew someone had to do something to change the atmosphere in Nigeria.

Mubarak Bala must be freed. We need to get him a capable lawyer and we need your help to do that. Even just a dollar will help pay for Mubarak's legal representation in Nigeria. Please donate and if you can't donate, please share this everywhere. We cannot and will not stand by while one of our own is arrested for simply not believing in a god.

This is your chance to make a difference. Let's do this. Let's #FreeMubarakBala"

Asmodean

That bold part, by the way, is the reason why I was all snarky about

Quote from: The AsmoHave you an attorney with a plan? No? Then what are the chances of a successful legal defence in a country where blasphemy laws make this case legally legitimate?

When the attorney at the very least expresses an interest in taking this case, the defence fund will suddenly become a LOT more appealing - not just to me, but also to the people I can pitch it to, one of whom is in cutthroat enough finance to laugh at anything less-than-concrete looking for funding.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

The Nigerian Freethought Movement's statement on the arrest of Mr. Mubarak Bala

• We condemn the arrest of Mr Mubarak Bala
    • We condemn the attack on free speech perpetrated by religious fanatics
    • We demand his immediate and unconditional release
    • We demand that security operatives investigate and take proper action on the death threats against Mr Bala Mubarak.

The Nigerian freethought movement condemns in strongest terms the arrest of Mr Bala Mubarak by men of the Nigerian police force. Mr Bala Mubarak who is the president of the Humanist Association of Nigeria (HAN) was yesterday whisked away by operatives of the Nigerian police force yesterday in Kaduna on allegations of blasphemy. It is condemnable that in a 21st century secular country people are still arrested for such ridiculous charges. The constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria affirms that the Nigerian state is a secular one hence, the freedom of religious view and thought.

It is sad that the Nigerian police force has bowed to pressures from forces of religious fanaticism by arresting Mr Mubarak, hence, giving a tactic support to those who intend to bring back our society to a 7th century-styled barbarism. It should be remembered that in the past decade, northern Nigeria has been ravaged by terrorist attacks perpetrated by different religious extremist groups most notably, the Boko Haram, it is therefore sad that at a moment when all hands should be on deck to embark on a massive deradicalisation of northern Nigeria to prevent further extremism inflicted terror attacks, the apparatus of the state are being used to give approval to extremist forces and their demand. This in itself is despicable.

It is said that he who comes to equity must come with clean hands; everyday the irreligious community in Nigeria and those who do not identify with any of the 2 most populous religions in Nigeria are subject to name-calling by different religious groups and preachers, deriding and threatening us at every opportunity from public transport to radio and television programmes, this however we believe is normal as critique of ideas is one of the major prequesite needed for a progressive society. This obviously was the thinking of the drafters of the constitution in providing for freedom of thought. It is unfortunate however, that the freedom of thought has become a luxury afforded to only members of popular faiths. It is on this premise that The Nigerian Freethought Movement condemns in strong terms the arrest of Mr. Mubarak as this is a violation of his human right.

We therefore demand his immediate and unconditional release. We have also read many death threats issued against him by extremists and we demand that security operatives investigate this to safeguard his life from the whims and caprices of religious extremists.
    Finally, we demand an end to all form of blasphemy laws as this laws are product of a stage of primitive barbarism and they have no place in the modern society. We also demand the safety and protection of the rights of all religious minorities.

Signed:
    Bright Ogundare
    Convener.

Recusant

Could be considered an advance over being murdered in the street with machetes, as is fashionable elsewhere.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on April 30, 2020, 06:10:48 AM
Could be considered an advance over being murdered in the street with machetes, as is fashionable elsewhere.

Hmmm. At least that could be quicker. But you're probably right.

Tank

Tank

Mubarak Bala: Death Threats, Blasphemy and Police Investigation in Kano -By Leo Igwe

QuoteTwo days ago, the police arrested Mubarak Bala, President of the Humanist Association of Nigeria, in Kaduna. Detectives from the Kano State Police Command went to his residence, arrested and later detained him at Gbabasawa police station. According to local sources, the police were planning to transfer him to Kano where some lawyers had lodged a petition against him. They accused him of insulting the prophet Muhammad. The police should not take Mubarak to Kano due to the following reasons.

First of all, the police will be putting Mubarak's life at risk if they do so. The police know this. And the concern has been registered with the Force headquarters in Abuja, the AIG at the zonal headquarters, and the commissioner of police in charge of the state command. Before his arrest, Mubarak received several death threats from Muslims in Kano who were angry with his posts and writings. They threatened to kill him if they could find him. According to Mubarak, one of those who made the threats was a police officer in Kano. So are the police taking him to Kano to be tried or to be killed?