News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Scientific Responses To Religious Claims (Videos)

Started by Kekerusey, August 30, 2016, 10:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kekerusey

I don't know if this has been done here yet (I guess probably but I can't find one) so yeah.

10 Harsh Truths About Religions

Did I mention that I love Neil DeGrasse Tyson?

Keke
J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
The Abyssal Void War Book #1: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Davin

That is a good video, I can't remember exactly when I watched it, but it was a bit ago. I like most of those people and agree with what they said there.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

I don't think we ever had a thread like this. I have stickied it.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Thank you for posting that splendid video, Kekerusy.

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Kekerusey

OK,

So another one, this time a piece by the late, legendary comedian George Carlin:

One of the things I am interested in here is his stance on rights ... might as well get this out in the open, I don't believe in rights, certainly not innate ones.  I believe that rights are something that have to be granted by others and as such I believe in responsibilities before rights i.e. that I have the responsibility to allow others the freedom of speech and (en masse) that grants each of us the collective right to freedom of speech.

You only have to read the papers, online and so on the see examples of how people believe that their right to freedom of speech trumps that of others but if (a bog if I guess) I am correct and responsibility to provide said rights comes first then everyone gets that right by default.

I will admit this is very badly argued.

Keke
J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
The Abyssal Void War Book #1: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Icarus

This is not a scientific response, it is a human response.  Here is a woman, a Kiwi, who tells her story with great emotion.  If you have 20 minutes to spare, listen to her Ted Talk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS7mBbXxJYA

Dave

A very lucky person to be born into such a caring community, about the only aspect of religion, or some sects of it, that I find attractive.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

Dave, you did not watch the whole presentation.  This young woman was born into a nutter cult.  She was abused as a child and her friends and siblings were abused.  Toward the middle of the video she becomes convincingly emotional.  She is an accomplished speaker and either a beautifully and sincerely emotional young woman or a world class actress.  I believe the former. 

This is the story of a woman who escaped the community madness by virtue of her own bravery and resolve.  I love her story.

P.S. she talks funny because she is a Kiwi, she delivers her message with passion, and she also does not hesitate to curse when it is useful for driving home the point. This woman can also be an inspiration to other women who are subjugated as she was before she broke out of the mould of martinet style Christian absurdity.

It is a worthwhile 20 minutes for maudlin old fools like you and me. Well maybe not you, but for me......................yes.

Dave

^
Mea culpa - I did not watch the whole thing because it seemed so tacky. That (apparent) degree of rmotionality, that (apparent) enthusiasm always makes me uncomfortable, it seems pathological.. Yes, she was very convincing but I should have known the if TED had anything at all to do with it there must be some substance there.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tom62

I find her story very touching. It reminds me a lot of similar stories about mistreated children and women in other fundamental religious groups. Problem is that, when it concerns a non-Western religion, you can no longer criticize it, without being called a xenophobe, Nazi or racist.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tom62 on December 30, 2017, 01:45:18 PMyou can no longer criticize it, without being called a xenophobe, Nazi or racist.

Be brave Tom, you are only xenophobe if the Xens are shown to be no threat.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tom62

Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 30, 2017, 03:02:24 PM
Quote from: Tom62 on December 30, 2017, 01:45:18 PMyou can no longer criticize it, without being called a xenophobe, Nazi or racist.

Be brave Tom, you are only xenophobe if the Xens are shown to be no threat.

I always mix them up with the Cenobites  :o
Robert A. Heinlein

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tom62 on December 30, 2017, 01:45:18 PM
I find her story very touching. It reminds me a lot of similar stories about mistreated children and women in other fundamental religious groups. Problem is that, when it concerns a non-Western religion, you can no longer criticize it, without being called a xenophobe, Nazi or racist.

To be fair, that's only by some people.  Others would be loudly agreeing with you.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tom62

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 30, 2017, 10:47:03 PM
Quote from: Tom62 on December 30, 2017, 01:45:18 PM

To be fair, that's only by some people.  Others would be loudly agreeing with you.

You are absolutely right. We should also not forget that most religious people are peaceful. Criticism however should never be forbidden.
Robert A. Heinlein