News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

The Self-Reliant Mind of the Atheist

Started by Pharaoh Cat, January 03, 2012, 09:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pharaoh Cat

It has become clear to me that any thinking atheist can lay claim to the virtue that I will name, self-reliant mind.  So far I've identified five areas where this virtue manifests. 

Knowledge: The atheist takes nothing as knowledge but what the atheist or its designated mortal surrogates can falsify by replicating the alleged process of discovery and personally verifying the previously announced observations.  No recourse to unquestionable authority is tolerated.

Purpose: The atheist acknowledges no purposes accruing from the outside or some mysterious inside.  No will but the self's will has relevance for organizing a life, and no will but the aggregate will of a collection of selves has relevance for organizing their collective enterprise.

Hope: The atheist refuses to find hope for betterment in anything but the competence and perseverance of self and its designated mortal surrogates.  No prayer and no ritual sacrifice is deemed to have efficacy nor cosmic plan to have ascendancy.

Justice: The atheist acknowledges that there will be no justice except as the self or its mortal surrogates bring about by stern endeavor.  No karma or hell will punish, nor karma or heaven reward, nor flood or plague assail the earth for moral reasons.   

Policy: The atheist takes no policy as inherently wise except as the self or an aggregate of selves ratify by logic and emotion applied to their affairs as they perceive them.  No proverbs attributed to some supernatural source will usurp the policy-making authority of selves.

I offer the term self-reliant mind, and the virtue it denotes, described in summary above, as that which differentiates and brings honor to the atheist.
"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

Stevil

You are so precise with words you could almost be a lawyer, now once my lawyer translates it for me, I may consider offering my response.

Just kidding,
I like what you have done. I am trying to define Atheism as more than simply "lack of belief in god". I currently think this is possible but it takes some effort.

Tank

But can a person with a self-reliant mind not necessarily be an atheist?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

One of the beauties of language is its modularity. I see nothing useful in adding baggage to a word like atheism, it simply adds confusion and unnecessary complexity. Words should have the simplest possible meaning to produce relevance and clarity. A person could call themselves a rational secular humanist, they may also be an atheist, but not necessarily.

The simpler (more accurate) a word's meaning the more effective and efficient it is at conveying information during communication.

So atheist should mean nothing more than "A person who does not consider a god or gods to exist."

Note I don't use the word 'believe' but 'consider' as the latter implies a thoughtful evaluation rather than an emotional assertion.

How one comes to hold an atheistic world view is down to the individual.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Pharaoh Cat

Quote from: Tank on January 03, 2012, 10:03:56 AM

A classic Deist, who figures the universe had to have been created but sees no evidence for continued involvement on the part of the Creator, could cultivate self-reliant mind.  Many of us have long acknowledged the natural compatibility of atheists and classic Deists. 

A classic Deist could be an apatheist and in fact, if I were the first, I would be the second, since an uninvolved God is irrelevant.  Atheists, too, can be apatheists.  Any apatheist can cultivate self-reliant mind.

But as soon as I allow myself to think God is engaged in daily reality, I start sliding down the slippery slope toward a mindset where God provides truth, purpose, hope, justice, and policy.  There are only two options: creatures provide these things for themselves or the Creator provides them.  Anyone who looks to the Creator to provide these things has failed to cultivate self-reliant mind.
"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

Stevil

I read a Catholic's post once where they said that they give back the gift of free will.

The Magic Pudding

I was watching a Dawkins interview, he was saying he takes some things on faith, or something approaching it.
Not a blind faith, other scientists do things he doesn't understand but he places some trust in their findings.
I have to take more things on faith than dear Richard, people go places I can't, all I'm going to ever get is reports of what they found.

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 04, 2012, 01:32:55 AM
I was watching a Dawkins interview, he was saying he takes some things on faith, or something approaching it.
Not a blind faith, other scientists do things he doesn't understand but he places some trust in their findings.
I have to take more things on faith than dear Richard, people go places I can't, all I'm going to ever get is reports of what they found.
So using a atlas is an act of faith! Well I never!

xSilverPhinx

Trusting valid authorities is not an act of faith ??? nor is it a fallacy.

QuoteI have to take more things on faith than dear Richard, people go places I can't, all I'm going to ever get is reports of what they found.

You're right. Every now and then I'm sceptical that China exists. ;) I've never been there.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Pharaoh Cat on January 03, 2012, 11:23:31 AM

But as soon as I allow myself to think God is engaged in daily reality, I start sliding down the slippery slope toward a mindset where God provides truth, purpose, hope, justice, and policy.  There are only two options: creatures provide these things for themselves or the Creator provides them.  Anyone who looks to the Creator to provide these things has failed to cultivate self-reliant mind.

If one is married and allows one's spouse to be actively involved in one's decision-making process, does that person also start sliding down the slope toward a non-self-reliant mind? 

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 06, 2012, 01:14:36 AM

Trusting valid authorities is not an act of faith ??? nor is it a fallacy.

I don't think it's faith as such, you may accept information and not rigorously attempt to verify it.  If the truth of something isn't going to influence your decisions the effort of verifying it could be seen as a waste of energy.  Or it could be beyond your ability. The OP seemed to demand a level of rigour I don't always practice.  I suppose I accept things on a provisional basis, assign some probability as to their truth and make decisions based on that.

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 06, 2012, 01:14:36 AM
You're right. Every now and then I'm sceptical that China exists. ;) I've never been there.

If it wasn't obvious I was being metaphorical, I can't follow an astrophysicist into the calculations required to theorise about the big bang.

Gawen

QuoteI offer the term self-reliant mind, and the virtue it denotes, described in summary above, as that which differentiates and brings honor to the atheist.
The only problem I see is that "self-reliance" means:
independent,
autonomous,
self-contained,
self-governing,
self-sufficient,
self-supporting,
self-sustaining,
unaided,
unallied,
autarchic,
individualistic,
nonaligned,
nonpartisan,
on one's own,
self-contained,
self-determining,
self-ruling,
self-sufficient,
self-supporting,
separate,
sovereign.

Aggregate means forming a collection from separate parts.

Therefore, terms such as "designated mortal surrogates", "the aggregate" and "aggregate of selves" defeats the term "self-reliant" when it comes to any form of decision making or an act consisting of (for example) as an aggregate. So sure, a collection of self-reliant atheists can all stand around and agree or disagree or stand as undecided on something, but what use is it?
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

yepimonfire

many different types of satanists.

pytheas

yes they can

the proposal : self reliant mind = atheist
is a romantic one but cannot hold water

most importantly there are atheists that are not with self-reliant mind
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

En_Route

Quote from: Tank on January 03, 2012, 10:15:20 AM
One of the beauties of language is its modularity. I see nothing useful in adding baggage to a word like atheism, it simply adds confusion and unnecessary complexity. Words should have the simplest possible meaning to produce relevance and clarity. A person could call themselves a rational secular humanist, they may also be an atheist, but not necessarily.

The simpler (more accurate) a word's meaning the more effective and efficient it is at conveying information during communication.

So atheist should mean nothing more than "A person who does not consider a god or gods to exist."

Note I don't use the word 'believe' but 'consider' as the latter implies a thoughtful evaluation rather than an emotional assertion.

How one comes to hold an atheistic world view is down to the individual.

This with due respect is wholly tendentious. An atheist is someone who does not believe in the existence of a god or Gods. Whether this is a considered view or not is irrelevant to the definition. There are plenty of atheists who have rejected the idea of gods for emotional or on wholly ill-considered grounds. There equally theists who have carefully considered their position.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).