News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Re: Know any good quotes?

Started by ForTheLoveOfAll, February 16, 2011, 02:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danny boy

I dont know about the rest of you guys, but I like reading inspirational/thought-provoking/funny quotes. I'm sure there are plenty of guys on HAF that know some good ones. I'll start us off:

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." - Socrates

"Money has never made man happy, nor will it, there is nothing in its nature to produce happiness. The more of it one has the more one wants." - Benjamin Franklin

"If Christ were here now, there is one thing he would not be â€" a Christian." - Mark Twain

Recusant

Hello and welcome HAF, danny boy.

One that I came across just today:
QuoteThe charm of a man is measured by the charm of the women who think he is a scoundrel.

--H. L. Mencken
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

rawrdog822

"With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg

"I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier. Life should malleable and progressive; working from idea to idea permits that. Beliefs anchor you to certain points and limit growth; new ideas can't generate. Life becomes stagnant." - Chris Rock in Dogma

Will

I like old George Bernard Shaw quotes:

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
"A man never tells you anything until you contradict him."
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."
"If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion."
"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it."
And of course, "The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

karadan

How do you titilate an ocelot?  Oscilate its tits a lot.

Ok, not really a quote but funny nonetheless.

I'm rather partial to war quotes for some reason. My favourite is:

Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion. (Gen. H. Norman Schwartzkopf)
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

history_geek

Quote from: "karadan"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion. (Gen. H. Norman Schwartzkopf)

"C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. (It is magnificent, but it is not war.)"
-General Pierre Bosquet

;)

Hmmm, I know quite a few quotes but as usual I van't remember any of them when I should. Bugger. Well, there is this one:

"Everything that humans can imagine is a possibility in reality"
-physicist, Willy Karen
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

The Magic Pudding

Take my advice, don't listen to me.  Neil Young

ForTheLoveOfAll

I just posted this on my Facebook.

The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars. A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise. A morning filled with four hundred billion suns! The rising of the milky way!

- Carl Sagan
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

hismikeness

A sample of my favorites:

Quote from: "Neil DeGrasse Tyson""Recognize that the very molecules that make up your body, the atoms that construct the molecules, are traceable to the crucibles that were once the centers of high mass stars that exploded their chemically rich guts into the galaxy, enriching pristine gas clouds with the chemistry of life. So that we are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically. That’s kinda cool! That makes me smile and I actually feel quite large at the end of that. It’s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us."
Quote from: "Rounders"If, after the first twenty minutes, you don't know who the sucker at the table is, it's you.  
Quote from: "Mitch Hedberg"An escalator can never break--it can only become stairs. You would never see an "Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order" sign, just "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience. We apologize for the fact that you can still get up there."
Quote from: "Henry Ford"It is not the employer who pays the wages. Employers only handle the money. It is the customer who pays the wages.
Quote from: "E.M. Forster"I am sure that if the mothers of various nations could meet, there would be no more wars.
Quote from: "Mitch Hedberg"A fly was very close to being called a "land," cause that's what they do half the time.
Quote from: "Neil DeGrasse Tyson""The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
Quote from: "Brian Greene"I have long thought that anyone who does not regularly - or ever - gaze up and see the wonder and glory of a dark night sky filled with countless stars loses a sense of their fundamental connectedness to the universe.

And my recently changed signature, of course:
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

danny boy

Quote from: "hismikeness"A sample of my favorites:

Quote from: "Mitch Hedberg"An escalator can never break--it can only become stairs. You would never see an "Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order" sign, just "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience. We apologize for the fact that you can still get up there."

Ah, I remember Mitch Hedberg, he was hilarious. The world lost a great comedian when he died.

While not as relevant any more, this is a still a goodie:

Quote from: "Chris Rock"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn'€™t want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon.

Asmodean

My fave quotes are in my signature. That said, I don't really like quoting people unless it is relevant as research material. Just quoting a smart, popular and/or powerful person does not give an argument any extra weight in my book, and so I prefer words of my own to those of others.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

ForTheLoveOfAll

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.

-Seneca
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

Alexander

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
- Charles Darwin

wildfire_emissary

"Quotes are real good especially if they talk about real things." - wildfire_emissary lol
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

Epimetheus

I really like these

"Famous remarks are very seldom quoted correctly" - Simeon Strunsky

" I swear by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." - Ayn Rand

"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival" - CS Lewis

"That government is best which governs least" - Henry David Thoreau