Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 25, 2016, 06:06:03 AM
Quote from: Tank on June 24, 2016, 10:43:45 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 24, 2016, 10:42:46 PM
Hi.  Are you a "Leave" or "Remain"??
You live in Texas don't you?

Did I offend?  Sorry.
Good lord no. I was thinking of Texas leaving he USA  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 24, 2016, 10:42:46 PM
Hi.  Are you a "Leave" or "Remain"??
Just a remainder now I suppose...

This is all due to a squabble amongst the so-called adults that form the Tory party, chances are it will cist us billions and we will possibly have reduced human and civil rights because of it.

Not that the other parties are worth the energy to make a cross fir.

Sorry, got a sequoia balanced on my shoulder regarding politicians.

Having got the grump over - thanks for the greets!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on June 24, 2016, 10:45:41 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on June 24, 2016, 08:33:21 PM
Hello ftom Gloucester, Uk.

My name is actually Dave but there are far too many of us it seems. I'll appologise for strange spellings now, I use a tablet and iften hut tge wrinf ket on tge onscreeb ket boaed.

I am fast approaching 72 and worked as a very, very Jack-of-all-trades senior R&D tech in an instrumentation company's labs. Interests sci-fi and fantasy, science, technology and high tech toys, archaeology, almost any kind of research, writing . . . . . . . . . . .

Oh, I am also a "Computer Buddy" (yeck!) for the local University of the Third Age.

I am a member of http://www.thinkhumanism.com/phpBB3/, a friendly bunch.

I sort of came to humanism by osmosis; I had arguments with my Sunday School teachers until I stopped going at about age 10. At 12 I found a notice about a local humanist group and realised I was not alone, but I was too young for them to admit me to their number - so I sort of drifted for decades; life, love, work, finance and all the usual things getting in the way.

It was not until I got made refundant at age 59.5 (best promotion I ever had!) That I felt relaxed enough to look around. Took an early pension from work and took a course to prep for a uni course, which I got. Unfortunately a dicky ticker cut my uni career short, but it was a worthwhile experience, the grey stuff was still just as active and I could hold my own in debate.

So, still looking aroundvto see what is going and thought I'd have a dabble here.

Hello and welcome to HAF, Gloucester. Thank you for that comprehensive intro post. I hope you don't mind that I split your introduction off to its own thread. :blue smiley:

What sort of science fiction do you enjoy?

I think U3A is a fine concept; it's good to hear that you're helping them out. Do you attend any U3A classes?

Some threads you might find interesting:

Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler

. . . And of course, the Forum Rules.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here.   :welcome:
Thanks, Recusant. No probs on the split, just confused me for a second (no great achievement!)

Will look at the links as the days go by.

Will expand on sci-fi etc elsewhere(s).

No one

Dave

Thanks, no one.

In a class in the RAF there were 22 of us, all about the sane age, . . . . 10 of us called Dave.

Like I said, too many of us.

Thought once I was going to have to find a Sharon for a girl friend - kept finding "Dave and Sharon" everywhere, especially along the tops of car windscreens when that was in fashion.

gentle_dissident

University of the Third Age.
I had to look that up. I'd love to do that, but I'm on the other side of the planet. Anyone know why Google reports vu3a.org (Virtual U3A) as an attack page?

Dave

Quote from: solidsquid on June 24, 2016, 11:02:32 PM
Welcome Dave!  Gloucester? Some of my ancestors were originally from there and then took off to stake a claim to some new real estate across the pond in the 1600s.
Yeah, probably quite a few ftom here went over.

I'm not a Gloucesterian though, I hail ftom SE London. Was stationed near here for my last posting in the RAF (1970) then came back when my job moved this way.

The emmigrants must have liked it, they pinched the name!

Dave

Quote from: gentle_dissident on June 25, 2016, 05:52:17 PM
I had to look that up. I'd love to do that, but I'm on the other side of the planet. Anyone know why Google reports vu3a.org (Virtual U3A) as an attack page?
Not sure about VU3A, don't know its origin but possibly their security is weak and the site has been infected by a trojan or something.

Here is the link for the UK U3A.
http://www.u3a.org.uk/component/weblinks/category/92-educational-web-links.html?Itemid=435

Recusant

Quote from: gentle_dissident on June 25, 2016, 05:52:17 PM

I do know that VU3A is the project of one man who built the site with some help. I know somebody who's corresponded with him, and will try to contact him to let him know that it's possible his site was hacked. Thanks for pointing that out.

There are a few local things somewhat similar to U3A in the US (for instance, Florida) but no national organization like U3A, unfortunately. You'd have to search locally using the term "Life Long Learning." This is much more likely to produce something like U3A, while "Adult Learning" is usually focussed on teaching GED classes.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

Welcome to the party (Dave) Gloucester.  A bunch us have similar interests. There are some senior citizens here, including me, the most senior of the lot. (Unless Madam Butterfly Magdalena is lying about her age  ;D)  We are not a flagrantly militant Atheist group like some of the other forums and we seldom get ourselves involved in pissing contests. In the rare cases of that sort our moderators fix the problem without delay.

We are a mixed group with members from such places as Russia, France, Netherlands, Norway, Australia, USA, UK Cyprus, and other locations that provide an interesting international flair. We even have a couple of good Christians who are well respected members. 

Essie Mae

Hello Gloucester Dave, great to have a new HAFfer. You're fortunate that you kicked against religion at such a young age. It took me about 50 years longer and this place helped me to find sanity when I finally saw the light.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Dave

Thanks for the greetings Essie and Icarus.

Luckily my parents were not religious, Sunday School was just a  convenient place to park us kids on a Sunday afternoon. Best part of it was the "Criterion" genuine Italian ice cream parlour next to the church. The family that ran it loved kids and our few pennies went a long way there.

So, no real parental pressure.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Gloucester on June 27, 2016, 08:48:40 AM
Thanks for the greetings Essie and Icarus.

Luckily my parents were not religious, Sunday School was just a  convenient place to park us kids on a Sunday afternoon. Best part of it was the "Criterion" genuine Italian ice cream parlour next to the church. The family that ran it loved kids and our few pennies went a long way there.

So, no real parental pressure.

My iPad seems to playing up; my post disappeared into the ether so sorry if this is already out there. All I was saying is that my nominally Christian parents parked me there for the same reasons. What I heard there though was so terrifying and stressful that all reason flew out of the window and after 6 years of it from the age of 6, they well and truly had me with their 'better to frighten them into the kingdom than fail to get them in at all' approach. It wasn't all bad though, and although I don't bring up my views with my Christian children, I'm much happier than before.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Magdalena

Hello, Gloucester, from the Uk. It's nice to meet you. I'm Magdalena, I was born in El Salvador, but I live in Los Angeles. Welcome to our forum.  :daisies:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Quote from: Magdalena on June 27, 2016, 07:35:31 PM
Hello, Gloucester, from the Uk. It's nice to meet you. I'm Magdalena, I was born in El Salvador, but I live in Los Angeles. Welcome to our forum.  :daisies:
Hello, Magdalena, and thanks.