News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

"Russia's top five Covid-19 myths" Bloody underwhelming.

Started by Asmodean, April 15, 2020, 10:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Apparently, NATO compiled the top five Russian myths about itself and Covid-19 and some media outlets are running *this* as a part of their Russian/Chinese fake news narrative. Fake though it may be, let's delve into it;

https://www.nato.int/nato_static_fl2014/assets/pdf/2020/4/pdf/2004-Factsheet-Russia-Myths-COVID-19_en.pdf

Myth 1. Covid-19 will break up NATO.
Unlikely. Equally unlikely that "regular people" care too much about the likeliness of it, what with the zombie plague and the looming economic collapse, possible destabilization of governments and the establishment of the underground bog roll market. You know it's coming!

What would be a better - much better - myth, is that Covid-19 will continue breaking up the EU. At least there would be something to that one, as the pandemic directly counters the globalist nature of the union. NATO is not like that - it's a military alliance. People in China and Russia understand that much.

Myth 2. NATO is failing to support Allies in the fight against COVID-19
Again, NATO is a military alliance. While you can bomb somebody with a virus, it's bloody hard to limit collateral damage while trying to bomb the virus itself. My natural response to that claim is, "well, what do you expect of them, that they do not already do?"

Myth 3. COVID-19 is a weapon created by NATO
This is the only "good" one here. Proper propaganda, as propaganda should be. Blame those on the other side of whatever line there may be. that said, over 'ere, there are some pervasive myths about it being a Chinese bioweapon.

Myth 4. NATO exercises spread COVID-19 virus
By virtue of being human, NATO personnel just get sick like everyone else. They also spread the virus like everyone else. In a way, there may be something to this, as soldiers moving around from place to place have contributed to spreading diseases before. Modifying or cancelling the exercises does not negate the postulate that exercises, when they are indeed being held, can and most likely will contribute to the spread of the disease, even if in a very small way.

Myth 5. NATO encourages defense spending at the expense of healthcare
A military alliance encourages spending on military? NO! I never would have thunk! Here is why this myth is weak though; I hereby encourage you to spend your next paycheck on a new gun in stead of an equal cost in bills.

...And? Will you?

True enough, you are not a nation, but a nation too can "just say no," if required.

Yes, these myths qualify as fake news. People presenting as facts that, which is not, and the ever-so-helpful churnalists doing their utmost to churn it into a storm. There are some important distinctions to be made here though. Some fake news are malicious. They can contribute to people doing things like not seeking proper medical care, voting for a candidate they do not support, investing in pyramid schemes and on a larger scale, they can even help destabilize governments or break up alliances. This..? This belongs in the "read and forgotten" category, so I find it somewhat strange that NATO thought that at least three of those "Top five" myths even deserved an official response.

If those be the top of the pile... Yeah. We're fine.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

An event like a pandemic focuses people's attention. No better time for inserting useful stories in the expectation that chances of getting them accepted will be improved, because people are looking for answers. Can't blame the propagandists for mobilising.  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Davin

No matter how badly they are doing it, it's still working with a lot of gullible people.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 16, 2020, 03:17:13 PM
Is this for real...?!
It's from nato.int and a churnalist from my country's largest paper bought it. They have some rudimentary Onion-discovery skills, so... I suspect so.

Quote from: Davin on April 16, 2020, 02:40:27 PM
No matter how badly they are doing it, it's still working with a lot of gullible people.
That's probably true. Still, my contention is that with one exception, these are a bunch of very weak myths, and one which is probably just true (The one about spreading disease by exercise - but its correctness depends a lot on how the original and/or most pervasive iteration is worded. Poorly, I suspect.)

So some gullible souls buy it... They will still have to wait "forever" for the collapse of NATO, probably already blame at least the Americans for "all" woes of mass destruction and don't give a toss about who supports which allies, unless they are their own. And if they are, then my question stands. Does NATO not support you? Well, what do you want from them? And have you even asked?

So yeah, maybe it's a nip-it-in-the-bud-early-type-situation - deal with that shit while it's harmless. Still, if the Russians can't do better than this what to crown their pile of propaganda with by this point in the pandemic, then we have little to worry about.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

you know what though?

living in america and liztening to people i work with repeat nonsense conzpiracy theoriez as if they common knowledge

has educated me that there are no weak myths. any crazy thing will be believed if enough people hear it repeated enough timez

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

Quote from: billy rubin on April 16, 2020, 04:44:43 PM
...has educated me that there are no weak myths. any crazy thing will be believed if enough people hear it repeated enough timez
It's not necessarily their believability that makes them weak. It's their potential impact.

Although, a caveat is in order; I have not done potential impact analysis with probability distribution and all the trimmings. Perhaps NATO has. Perhaps, though, not.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Asmodean on April 16, 2020, 03:40:24 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 16, 2020, 03:17:13 PM
Is this for real...?!
It's from nato.int and a churnalist from my country's largest paper bought it. They have some rudimentary Onion-discovery skills, so... I suspect so.

That's the worst part I guess, it probably is.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey