News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

how doez the FBI have any jurisdiction?

no state lines were crossed. its a local issue.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Randy

I don't know. Maybe because the police were involved? From what I've read the FBI is involved. It was yesterday's article so it's not up there now. I looked at other news agencies to see if I could find it.

I did find this though:
QuoteThey said the "robust criminal investigation" is being spearheaded by the department's Civil Rights Division and the local FBI field office.

"Upon conclusion of the FBI's investigation," they added, "the U.S. Attorney's Office will determine whether federal criminal charges are supported by the evidence. If it is determined that there has been a violation of federal law, criminal charges will be sought."

Full article: https://www.npr.org/2020/05/28/863630502/investigation-into-george-floyds-death-a-top-priority-for-justice-department

They are doing something with an investigation.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

Randy

Yes, I don't either. I don't know the law well enough obviously. I'm a simple computer programmer (retired) and hardly a lawyer. I thought maybe they were carrying it out because police were involved. I'm going to look around more and see what I can find about the case.

Edit: Here is another article stating the FBI is taking the lead.

QuoteMinneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo said at a press conference Tuesday morning that he contacted the FBI to investigate after receiving unspecified "additional information" about the incident. "They will be taking the lead in this investigation," he said. "This is very impactful to so many involved and as chief we will be cooperating fully. The Minneapolis Police Department will cooperate fully."

https://heavy.com/news/2020/05/george-floyd-minneapolis-minnesota-video/
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

A local news station aired the video of the white cop slowly murdering the black man. Truly shocking
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

I think I posted this here in another thread. I saw the still picture. There is no way I'm watching a person perish in front of my own eyes. That's just horrible.

Tom62

Quote from: Tank on May 29, 2020, 07:03:57 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on May 28, 2020, 10:55:15 PM
What's on my mind?
George Floyd.
Minneapolis.
:felix:

If the law fails the people the people have to take the law into their own hands. What else can you expect?

I expect people not to dishonour the death of George Floyd by destroying their own neighbourhood. What kind of justice is served by stealing TV's, destroying cars, shops of small business owners, burning down houses and fighting? That is taking advantage of the situation, not justice.   
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

No one

Humans suck Tom, they will use any stage to showcase this.

billy rubin

Quote from: Tom62 on May 29, 2020, 08:58:14 PM
Quote from: Tank on May 29, 2020, 07:03:57 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on May 28, 2020, 10:55:15 PM
What's on my mind?
George Floyd.
Minneapolis.
:felix:

If the law fails the people the people have to take the law into their own hands. What else can you expect?

I expect people not to dishonour the death of George Floyd by destroying their own neighbourhood. What kind of justice is served by stealing TV's, destroying cars, shops of small business owners, burning down houses and fighting? That is taking advantage of the situation, not justice.

its not clear that the looters came from that neighborhood. some apparently drove in from elzewhere just to loot. just something i came across. no substantiation

billy rubin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy1eRCYS08w

there are some people in there who dont look much like residents

Randy

Minneapolis under curfew after ex-officer who knelt on George Floyd's neck charged with third-degree murder

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/29/us/minneapolis-george-floyd-friday/index.html

Ecurb Noselrub

One consequence of what happened in Minnesota is that it may have spelled doom for Amy Klobuchar as a possible VP mate for Biden.  Her history as a prosecutor there - "tough on crime" - might be seen as being too much on the oppressor's side. This probably helps Kamala Harris' chances. Blacks want Biden to choose a black - Harris is black and female, which is sure to excite the Democratic base. My only question is what value she brings - she is from California, which is reliably Democratic.  Harris can't help him win a critical state.  Biden needs to win in the Midwest, where Klobuchar could help him. The whole object is to defeat Trump.  Decisions, decisions...

Randy

What's on my mind today: Bills.

More specifically, medical bills. My daughter gets the mail about once per month and I just got handed a stack of them. I must learn to stay out of hospitals more often.

billy rubin

dead people.

the governor of my state has calledout the national guard to police the streets in columbus, ohio.

after city police pepper-sprayed a US member of congress, standing on the sidewalk in her district.

fifty years ago calling in the ohio national guard did not go well.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on May 31, 2020, 02:02:12 AM
dead people.

the governor of my state has calledout the national guard to police the streets in columbus, ohio.

after city police pepper-sprayed a US member of congress, standing on the sidewalk in her district.

fifty years ago calling in the ohio national guard did not go well.

What was she doing? Being black?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.