News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Biblical Foundation of Intellegent Design?

Started by Ellainix, October 19, 2009, 05:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellainix

What are the Bible verses that imply God specifically designed every animal like an artist?

My Bible says:

Genesis 1:11
QuoteThen God said, "Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds." And it was so.
Genesis 1:20
QuoteAnd God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky."
Genesis 1:24
QuoteAnd God said, "Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: livestock, creatures that move along the ground, and wild animals, each according to its kind." And it was so.

Christians argue so much that evolution implies abiogenesis, evolution is just a flawed theory, etc. It seems quite clear to me that God didn't design shit, he just said "Let there be [Abiogenesis and Evolution]."

Any thoughts?
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

Will

They argue that it's implied, and then devote their lives to it. Kinda like their pro-life position on abortion. And dozens of other "Christian" political, social and educational positions they take because Rush Limbaugh tells them to.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

LoneMateria

Quote from: "Will"They argue that it's implied, and then devote their lives to it. Kinda like their pro-life position on abortion. And dozens of other "Christian" political, social and educational positions they take because Rush Limbaugh tells them to.

Don't forget fox news :P.  People look for obscure verses of their holy book and claim it says X or that it doesn't say Y.  It's not just the Bible (they are just the ones we have to deal with) there is also a few instances of the Koran doing this.  Such as the Koran supposedly explains photosynthesis, "And [I swear] by the night when it draws in, and by the dawn when it breathes in." (Koran, 81:17-18)

Like I said before the groups we have to typically put up with is the Christian groups meaning the Bible.  There are still Christians claiming we live on a flat earth because of several bible verses.  Since they exist I imagine there are groups who still hold to a geocentric version of the universe.  In addition many people in America believe the earth is about 6000 years old.  I mean the craziness never seems to end.  These people must have a child like mentality.  When they see something they don't like they just ignore it or try to explain it away.  One of my favorite defense for the earth being 6000 years old as opposed to 4.5 billion years old is that God is testing our faith and he made everything look how it looks and because of that the evidence doesn't matter God made it up.

I know my post seems off topic but it ties into ID.  Because people either don't like the idea of something (like the earth not being in the center of the universe or that we shared a common ancestor with Apes and Monkies) they choose to ignore it or find some BS way to rationalize it or compartmentalize it.  Either way people won't accept what they don't want to.  ID makes people feel secure because we are still, "made in God's image" and no one can touch their security blanket.  In reality this can all be boiled down to a few factors ones pride/ego and/or ones security blanket.  

By the way you might like to check out the skeptics annotated bible Ellainix.  I know you are missing a few verses because Genesis 1 and 2 have conflicting creation stories so Gen. 2 will have a few "supporting" verses ... at least for believers.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Ellainix

I think I blew a fuse trying to logically add the second Genesis to the first one.
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Ellainix"Christians argue so much that evolution implies abiogenesis, evolution is just a flawed theory, etc. It seems quite clear to me that God didn't design shit, he just said "Let there be [Abiogenesis and Evolution]."

Any thoughts?
This is accurate, with one minor flaw: there's no god.

:)
-Curio

LoneMateria

Quote from: "Ellainix"I think I blew a fuse trying to logically add the second Genesis to the first one.

Thats what happens when the bible starts to contradict.  Either you accept it and say it makes sense somehow (maybe twist logic in a way to make it make sense) or you say F**K THAT and don't go much further.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "LoneMateria"
Quote from: "Ellainix"I think I blew a fuse trying to logically add the second Genesis to the first one.

Thats what happens when the bible starts to contradict.  Either you accept it and say it makes sense somehow (maybe twist logic in a way to make it make sense) or you say F**K THAT and don't go much further.
It's amazing what we can rationalize. Well, when I say "we" I mean "they" and when I say "they" I mean theists, but you know.  :)
-Curio