News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Who are you voting for? (for Americans)

Started by Ransom, November 24, 2011, 12:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

This is kind of scary, people willing to undermine the foundations of society for their political advantage.

QuoteNewt Gingrich on Sunday hammered at the nation's judiciary system, saying that if a court's decision was out of step with American popular opinion, it should be ignored.

There's "no reason the American people need to tolerate a judge that out of touch with American culture," Gingrich said on CBS' Face the Nation, referring to a case where a judge ruled that explicit references to religion were barred from a high school graduation ceremony. And Gingrich recently has said judges should have to explain some of their decisions before Congress.

Host Bob Schieffer asked Gingrich how he planned to enforce that. Would you call in the Capitol Police to apprehend a federal judge, he asked.

"If you had to," Gingrich said. "Or you'd instruct the Justice Department to send the U.S. Marshall in."

Recusant

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 01, 2012, 06:57:20 AMThis is kind of scary, people willing to undermine the foundations of society for their political advantage.

Gingrich is, and has been for decades, a soulless hack, concerned with personal advancement. But that is standard for politicians-- Gingrich just happens to be a particularly odious specimen. I really doubt that he'll succeed in getting the Republican nomination, but I think that the Democrats would be happy if he did.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sophus

I'm kind of surprised at all the excitement around Ron Paul. I think he is insane.

Obama will probably be receiving my reluctant vote. Huntsman is the only grown up in the Republican party but for that very reason it looks like he won't be getting the nomination.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Recusant

Quote from: Sophus on January 02, 2012, 12:02:23 AM
I'm kind of surprised at all the excitement Ron Paul has been getting. I think he is insane.

Obama will probably be receiving my reluctant vote. Huntsman is the only grown up in the Republican party but for that very reason it looks like he won't be getting the nomination.

Yay! Sophus is back!

I've missed you, man. It's great to see you around here again!

Happy new year!  
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sophus

Quote from: Recusant on January 02, 2012, 12:09:43 AM
Quote from: Sophus on January 02, 2012, 12:02:23 AM
I'm kind of surprised at all the excitement Ron Paul has been getting. I think he is insane.

Yay! Sophus is back!

I've missed you, man. It's great to see you around here again!

Happy new year!  

Cheers. You too, Recusant. I forgot how much I liked this little forum.

We have the ability to make text scroll, now, I see?
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

corgilover

Quote from: Tank on November 26, 2011, 09:07:20 AM
Quote from: Thumpalumpacus on November 25, 2011, 10:24:10 PM
Ron Paul has no chance.  Period.
I do love it when people use the word 'Period' to finish a point as though it somehow added authority to their prior statement. I always get a picture of somebody holding their hand up and saying 'Talk to the hand!'  ;D

Having said that I sincerely hope that Obama makes it back in as all the Republican alternatives are very little short of terrifying!

In my opinion, Bush tainted the Republican name so much that Obama could be everything the Tea Party is trying to make him out to be and still win in '12.

Of course, that might be the reason why Perry is doing horrible. It's Bush's clone!

Oh, and I'm voting for Obama if and only if he drops his current VP and puts in someone with a brain.

Cerulean

I'll vote for Obama again, although in my red state it won't really matter. I cannot believe we still use the Electoral College.

Ali

Voting Obama again.  I agree that he made a big mistake in trying to please a party that simply refused to be pleased under any circumstance, but he's still the lesser of two evils.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ali on January 12, 2012, 05:27:55 PM
Voting Obama again.  I agree that he made a big mistake in trying to please a party that simply refused to be pleased under any circumstance, but he's still the lesser of two evils.

Ditto.  Even Mitt Romney scare me a little, and most of the rest are the stuff of nightmares.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

McQ

Can't know who I'm voting for just yet. The talking heads on TV haven't made up my mind for me.
8)

To be honest, I don't know yet. Our primary is on the horizon, and after doing a bit of research I'll have a better idea. I think pretty much all of the Republican candidates are boobs, with the possible exception of Hunstman. Paul isn't really electable.

Obama? Ehhh...maybe, maybe not. I like him, but he hasn't exactly thrilled me with his first term.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Firebird

It'll be Obama for me. Frankly, he's too centrist for me in some ways, but so is the rest of this country :) Have never voted Republican and can't ever see myself doing so, especially with this group of religious zealots and libertarian whack-jobs
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Cerulean on January 12, 2012, 03:34:16 PM
I'll vote for Obama again, although in my red state it won't really matter. I cannot believe we still use the Electoral College.

There is obviously a good argument to do away with the Electoral College, especially since we have had presidential elections in which the candidate receiving the majority of the popular vote lost the electoral vote. However, this was part of the compromise which preserved the importance of the states over a more centralized government.  Some of the smaller states would become relatively insignificant if the Electoral College was eliminated.  Iowa and New Hampshire wouldn't matter anymore in presidential politics, for example. There would be a lot of opposition to changing this system.

Wessik

In my opinioin, The president recieved a harsh first term, but if he is elected a second time, republicans might not as much reason to resist him. In general, you're more willing to negotiate once you know that the opposition is on the way out. As for the time being, further resistance would hurt the republican party more than help in The President's second term.
I have my own blog! redkarp.blogspot.com!

corgilover

If Stephen Colbert ends up getting the nomination for the Republican party, I will switch parties.

Tank

Quote from: Wessik on January 15, 2012, 04:33:06 AM
In my opinioin, The president recieved a harsh first term, but if he is elected a second time, republicans might not as much reason to resist him. In general, you're more willing to negotiate once you know that the opposition is on the way out. As for the time being, further resistance would hurt the republican party more than help in The President's second term.
He inherited two ongoing wars and the worst recession in 70(?) years and the biggest national debt in the world. Not an easy starting point.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.