News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What form would the "right" kind of government be?

Started by Dave, July 12, 2016, 07:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Gentle dissident wrote:
QuoteThe wrong leadership has been in this country since the start. The people are convinced they cannot act toward something if they are not an authority and depend on leadership. This mechanism works because being a leader in the US means being a slave owner. The considerate intelligent individuals all ran off to organic farms.

Since the start of what, GD?

Since remaining in national leadership (barring dictatorships) relies in part in guessing which backers to cosy up with and how far you can push the remainder and retain their votes (whilst doing all you can to rubbish the opposition) getting the right government is almost impossible these days.

We are going to need strict controls for a while (at least) on our own and it may hurt. Itvtakes a brilliant leader to tell us what will be needed in a convincing enough way to stop people bleating about austerity. Compared to the late 40s - early 50s modern austerity is bloody luxury! Means going without a bottle of wine or some beer with supper, eating food you have to make yourself instead of eating out or prepared stuff, not going to Tennerif for holiday etc for a lot of people.

Yes, there are those already on the low levels who will truly suffer. I must admitvwe have,them near where I live. Always short of cash and eating junk food (whilst they watch soaps ahd sport on their 50" TVs, drink lager and chain smoke ) [NO, get off your hobby horse Dave!]

I would say that, at the moment, I see no-one of that calibre, don't like May greatly - dedicated Christian being only the first of her potential faults in my book. But she seems to have more backbone than Cameron in some ways and has spouted some interesting ideas.

Time alone will tell whether she is truly a national leader, as we need, or just another party politician in a chameleon  skin.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

G your government is not the only one at risk. My poor nation is faced with an unfortunate choice of only two leaders.  One with dubious wisdom except as a skilled hustler, or the other with a record of aspiring to wealth and lofty station above all. Two vastly different personalities neither of which appear to be in the best interest of our nation. 

No one

Sadly,  the fact of the matter is,  if humans are involved in the process,  it will be brutally flawed. There is no right kind of government. People suck,  politicians doubly so.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on July 13, 2016, 02:48:47 AM
G your government is not the only one at risk. My poor nation is faced with an unfortunate choice of only two leaders.  One with dubious wisdom except as a skilled hustler, or the other with a record of aspiring to wealth and lofty station above all. Two vastly different personalities neither of which appear to be in the best interest of our nation.
Very aware of the situation over there, Icarus, I used ours as an example of chameleon politics.

In some ways your election could have more impact on us than our own, America is such a large weight in so many global balances. Should it turn (more)  isolationist under Trump the global outcome will be serious.

Not to mention what it will mean for your vountrymen.

From afar, i always wonder why Trump is not seen as just as elitist - with his own, personal, definition of "elite" - and as power hungry as Hilary. From what I hear he drops people, with prejudice, who do not support him. Thus can you expect either total yes-men in his cabinet from day one or a series of Secretaries of State/defence/whatever until he finds tbe right yes-men.

One American academic speaker, this am on tbe BBC, said that Trump is "not a quick study" and said that he seems unable to learn from experience and is unwilling to listen to anything that does not follow his ideas. Another speaker told of Trump's actions that put his own sick nephew, if I remember correctly, in danger of his life by fighting a case over a will that, effectively, took medical funding from the nephew. Yet he pleaded for clemency for a known major drug baron with whom he had worked. (Can't find anything, as yet, to support these.)

Hilary may seem a poor choice but, surely, she has known "problems" that can be reasoned with, not a purely reactive "I am always right" attitude?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Asmodean

One could get pretty far with many European social democracy-like models.

The right government, however..? Well, that would be the government of one for one, no?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

existentialcrisis

There is none.

Churchill said: democracy is the worst system save all the others.
There are no facts, only interpretations. - Friedrich Nietzche

The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason. - Benjamin Franklin.