News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

What Republicans don't get about Ronald Reagan

Started by Sandra Craft, February 26, 2016, 12:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

I was never a Reagan supporter, but it just makes me nuts when conservatives hold him up as an icon for their ideals when he was nothing of the sort: What Republicans don't get about Ronald Reagan:

"He supported the biggest amnesty bill in history for illegal immigrants, advocated gun control, used Keynesian stimulus to jump-start the economy, favored personal diplomacy even with the country's sworn enemies, and instituted tax increases in six of the eight years of his presidency."
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

I've been wondering about that too, Sandy.  The Gipper was an alright, but not the least spectacular achieving prez. He left us with a major fiscal problem but the current GOP types worship his as the Messiah. WTF is up with that? Does no one read the records?

I liked him better when he was the host of the Twenty Mule Team Boraxo show. You younger folks are not expected to remember, or ever having heard of such a TV series.

Sandra Craft

He was also pro-choice -- most conservatives were, back then.
Sandy

jumbojak

You mean Death Valley Days Icarus? That was a good program.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

Dammit JJ you are not old enough to remember those old western serials. Those old westerns were popular back in the days of Tennessee Ernie Ford, Gunsmoke, Mickey Mouse Club, and the dancing cigarette commercials.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Icarus on February 27, 2016, 12:35:36 AM
Dammit JJ you are not old enough to remember those old western serials. Those old westerns were popular back in the days of Tennessee Ernie Ford, Gunsmoke, Mickey Mouse Club, and the dancing cigarette commercials.

They have cable stations that run nothing but those old shows, 24/7.
Sandy

Pasta Chick

I've never understood this either. And let's not forget Iran-Contra.

Plus the racism, although unfortunately that's probably points in his favor with the current GOP crowd.

jumbojak

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 27, 2016, 12:39:26 AM

My mom watches a station that plays Death Valley Days followed by Wanted Dead or Alive. I've become a fan of Steve McQueen's character on that one. Not macho but definitely capable. Plus, his sawed off 44-40 is pretty dang cool. Much more original than the ubiquitous six shooter.

Gunsmoke was okay, mostly because of Festus and his mule - Festus reminds me of my brother. I've never been a James Arness fan. The original radio show was very good. Western's were always better when Bruce Dern made an appearance. He should've been the Joker instead of Jack Nicholson.

Then you had the singing cowboys like Hopalong Cassidy. When I was very small he was my favorite, though I had a few Roy Rodgers tapes that I wore out too.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Claireliontamer

Quote from: jumbojak on February 27, 2016, 02:26:04 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 27, 2016, 12:39:26 AM

My mom watches a station that plays Death Valley Days followed by Wanted Dead or Alive. I've become a fan of Steve McQueen's character on that one. Not macho but definitely capable. Plus, his sawed off 44-40 is pretty dang cool. Much more original than the ubiquitous six shooter.

Gunsmoke was okay, mostly because of Festus and his mule - Festus reminds me of my brother. I've never been a James Arness fan. The original radio show was very good. Western's were always better when Bruce Dern made an appearance. He should've been the Joker instead of Jack Nicholson.

Then you had the singing cowboys like Hopalong Cassidy. When I was very small he was my favorite, though I had a few Roy Rodgers tapes that I wore out too.

I miss sitting watching random shows with your Mom, she watches some epic classics!