News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Tired of being negative

Started by Jose AR, December 10, 2011, 01:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Davin on January 04, 2012, 09:58:20 PM
Imagine someone making fun of me because I accept the theory of gravity, nothing for me to get upset over. Now imagine me comparing being made fun of for accepting the theory of gravity to someone coming over and kicking my puppy. Your comparisons make it sound like theists are severly overreacting, like an eye for a tooth.

Apples and oranges, IMHO.

Is there anything in and of gravity that remotely demands (rightly or in delusionally) it be regarded as anything more than what it is?  Does gravity speak and claim anything similar to the fairytale of God?

Ali

Quote from: Tank on January 04, 2012, 10:02:59 PM
Why did the atheist cross the road?

He thought there might be a sidewalk on the other side, but he wouldn't believe it until he tested his hypothesis.

LOL

How many atheists does it take to screw in a light bulb?
12 and counting....
1 to do it, 1 to observe, 1 to repeat, to make sure it works every time, 1 to observe the second try.
1 to write a blog about it, turning it into a complicated metaphor about reality
2 to act as Poes and pretend to attack the blog from the POV of a Christian
5 to call said Poes "Stupid Sheep" in an internet Battle Royale of the Atheist Poes vs the Earnest Atheists....

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Tank on January 04, 2012, 10:00:10 PM
I was once told that one sign of maturity was that ability to laugh at oneself and really get the joke. Nothing is sacred where humour is concerned.

I think I mentioned...I've laughed at some of the posts.  One of the MORE sacreligious of them is the one of an image of Jesus on the cross with the caption, "If you're happy and you know it..."  Hilarious.  However while it does make me laugh because it is funny when you remove the God on a cross fact, it is literally making fun of an entity that a fairytale claims loves you and did this for you whether you believe it or not.  Is it funny if someone out of whatever reason, deluded or not, gives something up, something as precious as life?  Here is not to debate what "God" gave up, but the simple fact of someone dying for someone else.

Tank

^^^  :D

Edit: at the one above AD!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 04, 2012, 09:41:25 PM

No Davin.  That's not what I'm saying at all.  I've tried answering this for you.  I think at least Ali understands a bit better so it would seem the problem is not with me.  Analogies are not meant to fit perfectly, nor are they meant to explain exactly, but rather to make a connection in thinking.  I tried with the flag thinking, ok...maybe he'll see that there are some people that hold the flag as a symbol of something people have died for and so it is sacred and MEANS something while simply a piece of cloth...then I tried the sanctity of life with cruelty to animals thing thinking that you might see that when one person belittles something that to another is of sacred value (either in a religious sense or in a humanitarian sense) it is not without reason to have negative feelings towards the word 'Atheist'. 

Is it possible that atheists are making fun of believers as a defence mechanism due to the attacks (verbal and sometimes physical) and insults that christians seem compelled to heap upon one who doesn't share their faith?

Or maybe we just find their beliefs funny?  ;D

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 04, 2012, 09:53:28 PM
I see in "your" words that you respect my right to believe.  However it is "your" actions that speak slightly louder and therefore IMHO is reason to have negative thoughts on the word "atheist".

Is it really more respectful of my beliefs that "you" don't belittle them in front of me in person, but rather, with anonymity, feel free to do that which you wouldn't otherwise do in public (in person)?  I know you don't hold it sacred, but it is sacred to another human being.  Why do we, inclusive of me, feel the need to do this?  I guess it's a philosophical question really.

But what are "my" actions really?  Where it counts (as in, what do I really believe, what would I use my vote as well as my influence to protect) I am pro-freedom of religion.  I don't have to agree with your beliefs to believe in your right to believe them.  I'm a big big fan of personal freedoms, and that includes freedom of religion, all of the way.

It's true, I wouldn't sit around telling Jesus jokes to your face (unless I knew you and knew you would appreciate them, then I totally would), not out of any nefarious atheist sneakiness, but simply because I wouldn't want to hurt your feelings.

In a gathering of atheists, I admit that I do feel more free to indulge in a little tongue and cheek humor about religions. It's about context, not anonymity.  I would never do such a thing on a Christian forum.  And in fairness, I really don't care if you and your Christian friends tell atheist jokes (or liberal jokes, or vegetarian jokes since I identify as all of those) but I do want you to share them with me if they are funny.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: superfes on January 04, 2012, 10:01:03 PM
AD, I think Davin is correct on this one, your analogies are somewhat strange and don't apply to people's posts on HAF, the thing is you have come over to our house, looked at the posters on our wall and told us to quit burning your pictures...
I have not.  What I said as my point is; is it any secret why there is negativity towards the word 'Atheism' when one looks to a thread like the image thread?  I mean, there's not much there on poking fun at anyone but Christians...with few exceptions.
Quote from: superfesAs far as the flag is concerned I was raised with respect for the flag myself, but all in all it's the personal meaning or what the representation of it means to us personally that is sacred, not the base materials themselves, and again, nobody is burning your flag to the ground (Perhaps this was a false analogy based on the false prose that this country was founded on religious principles, if that was your attempt, this is why that analogy makes little to no sense to people).
Has nothing to do on what principles this country was founded on at all.  I would challenge you to approach a U.S. vet of any war and treat their flag with any sort of disrespect.  While it's not a point of worship, it is sacred.
Quote from: superfesI think that your animal analogy was probably the closest you've gotten to an actual analogy, but it still is based on the premise that we have come to your hunting camp and started protesting your hobby, when in fact we're just hanging out on our back patio having a few beers and making fun of hunters.
I have no thinking that "you" have come to my camp to protest my hobby...I think I've made that clear a few times.

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 04, 2012, 10:16:08 PM
Yay!! :D *hugs*

Thanks.  A hug back at you and all.  

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Ali on January 04, 2012, 10:37:22 PM
But what are "my" actions really?  Where it counts (as in, what do I really believe, what would I use my vote as well as my influence to protect) I am pro-freedom of religion.  I don't have to agree with your beliefs to believe in your right to believe them.  I'm a big big fan of personal freedoms, and that includes freedom of religion, all of the way.
I believe you would.  I believe you do feel this way.  However "your" actions (I hope it's clear that using quotes is a general "you" and not specific to you personally.)  Lets say you're gay.  And I portray myself as a person who portrays the freedom of the LGBT community.  That they should be treated as equals...and so on.  But come to find on a Christian forum or any forum for that matter, those of us that "support" the LGBT community and all that you mention just above, are found posting anti-gay propaganda, making fun of gays...or what if you find that I use the word 'gay' to mean something not manly or manly enough...?
Quote from: AliIt's true, I wouldn't sit around telling Jesus jokes to your face (unless I knew you and knew you would appreciate them, then I totally would), not out of any nefarious atheist sneakiness, but simply because I wouldn't want to hurt your feelings.
If it hurts my feelings in person, it can't hurt my feelings in anonymity on a forum?  That's the whole point I'm making.  What one does in secret usually speaks more to what their beliefs/feelings really are.  What about gay jokes?  Anti-gay images...?  Or would you say the images and/or sentiment is not anti-christian?
Quote from: AliIn a gathering of atheists, I admit that I do feel more free to indulge in a little tongue and cheek humor about religions. It's about context, not anonymity.  I would never do such a thing on a Christian forum.  And in fairness, I really don't care if you and your Christian friends tell atheist jokes (or liberal jokes, or vegetarian jokes since I identify as all of those) but I do want you to share them with me if they are funny.
Who would argue this with you?  When amongst family, why would you inhibit your feelings unless those feelings hurt the family?  What this says to me is that amongst "family", "you" better convey your true feelings about whatever the topic is.

superfes

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 04, 2012, 10:28:01 PM
I was once told that one sign of maturity was that ability to laugh at oneself and really get the joke. Nothing is sacred where humour is concerned.

I think I mentioned...I've laughed at some of the posts.  One of the MORE sacreligious of them is the one of an image of Jesus on the cross with the caption, "If you're happy and you know it..."  Hilarious.  However while it does make me laugh because it is funny when you remove the God on a cross fact, it is literally making fun of an entity that a fairytale claims loves you and did this for you whether you believe it or not.  Is it funny if someone out of whatever reason, deluded or not, gives something up, something as precious as life?  Here is not to debate what "God" gave up, but the simple fact of someone dying for someone else.

Actually, the joke is from the song: If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands... which is made difficult because they're nailed down >_>
Nothing teaches the true teachings of Jesus Christ better than not following them.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: superfes on January 04, 2012, 11:07:44 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 04, 2012, 10:28:01 PM

Actually, the joke is from the song: If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands... which is made difficult because they're nailed down >_>

Is this because you think I didn't understand the humor? 

superfes

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 04, 2012, 11:22:17 PM
Is this because you think I didn't understand the humor? 

Yarp, sorry if I mistook your diatribe ^_^
Nothing teaches the true teachings of Jesus Christ better than not following them.

Davin

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 04, 2012, 10:23:09 PM
Quote from: Davin on January 04, 2012, 09:58:20 PM
Imagine someone making fun of me because I accept the theory of gravity, nothing for me to get upset over. Now imagine me comparing being made fun of for accepting the theory of gravity to someone coming over and kicking my puppy. Your comparisons make it sound like theists are severly overreacting, like an eye for a tooth.

Apples and oranges, IMHO.

Is there anything in and of gravity that remotely demands (rightly or in delusionally) it be regarded as anything more than what it is?
No, is the less confirmations in reality a concept has inversely proportionate to the amount of reaction to being made fun of for accepting said concept?

Quote from: AnimatedDirtDoes gravity speak and claim anything similar to the fairytale of God?
No, does that matter for the reaction? If the concept one accepts as true speaks of god then the holder of that belief must overreact to all things making light of the concept? Is there some aspect of doubt or inability to rationally defend the concept that results in people resorting to extreme irrational means to defend the belief in the concept?
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Davin on January 04, 2012, 11:38:16 PM
Is there some aspect of doubt or inability to rationally defend the concept that results in people resorting to extreme irrational means to defend the belief in the concept?

Kind of like equating living forever to reading one page of a book hundreds or thousands of times?

Davin

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 04, 2012, 11:49:05 PM
Quote from: Davin on January 04, 2012, 11:38:16 PM
Is there some aspect of doubt or inability to rationally defend the concept that results in people resorting to extreme irrational means to defend the belief in the concept?

Kind of like equating living forever to reading one page of a book hundreds or thousands of times?
If you want to talk about that, why not keep it in that thread instead of trying to start it up here?
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Ali

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 04, 2012, 10:54:04 PM

I believe you would.  I believe you do feel this way.  However "your" actions (I hope it's clear that using quotes is a general "you" and not specific to you personally.)  Lets say you're gay.  And I portray myself as a person who portrays the freedom of the LGBT community.  That they should be treated as equals...and so on.  But come to find on a Christian forum or any forum for that matter, those of us that "support" the LGBT community and all that you mention just above, are found posting anti-gay propaganda, making fun of gays...or what if you find that I use the word 'gay' to mean something not manly or manly enough...?

Well, to be fair, I don't think I've ever claimed to be particularly pro-Christian.  I'm not particularly anti-Christian either, but I'd hardly call myself an activist for Christian rights or anything like that.  I totally get what you're saying about finding out that someone who claims to be very pro-gay rights and then is found giggling over gay jokes or whatever, but I don't think that's quite the same situation here.  I absolutely believe in freedom of religion, and if you actually needed an activist (like if people were trying to actively persecute Christians) then I like to think I would rise to the occasion because I am against oppression of all sorts.  But that's not the case today, and today, I am what I am - an atheist on an atheist website.  I won't go out of my way to track Christians down and make fun of them, but I am also okay with snerking a little at atheist humor on an atheist website. 

QuoteIf it hurts my feelings in person, it can't hurt my feelings in anonymity on a forum?  That's the whole point I'm making.  What one does in secret usually speaks more to what their beliefs/feelings really are.  What about gay jokes?  Anti-gay images...?  Or would you say the images and/or sentiment is not anti-christian?

But I have a lot more control over the message I give to people irl than on an internet forum that is intended for an audience that is not you.  Again, it's about context.  It's kind of like eavesdropping on a conversation that was intended in fun and then getting angry about what you hear.

QuoteWho would argue this with you?  When amongst family, why would you inhibit your feelings unless those feelings hurt the family?  What this says to me is that amongst "family", "you" better convey your true feelings about whatever the topic is.

I think that "true feelings" are actually more complicated than you are making out.  My true feelings are that very many religious notions are silly.  My other true feelings are that people should be allowed to entertain silly religious notions if they wish.  My other true feelings are that a great many people that I like and respect hold silly notions of all sorts.