News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Build the Pyramid

Started by Old Seer, July 04, 2020, 10:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Seer

What would your proposal be to build a pyramid? IOW, how would you do it- What machinery/method(s) would you use. 
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

i would use a motor scraper and two bulldozers to level the site and build roads, then bring in building stone on flatbed trucks, build a ramp with the bulldozers and small dump trucks around the pyramid as it was built, and stack the stones using a four-wheel mobile crane.

fill for the interior could be brought in on the dump trucks.

the spiraling ramp is the technique used in american landfills to bring material to the top of a pyramidal cell as it grows.  ive been to the top of a number of them.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Old Seer

Quote from: billy rubin on July 05, 2020, 12:16:36 PM
i would use a motor scraper and two bulldozers to level the site and build roads, then bring in building stone on flatbed trucks, build a ramp with the bulldozers and small dump trucks around the pyramid as it was built, and stack the stones using a four-wheel mobile crane.

fill for the interior could be brought in on the dump trucks.

the spiraling ramp is the technique used in american landfills to bring material to the top of a pyramidal cell as it grows.  ive been to the top of a number of them.
OK, But, what about having to build at the time the pyramids were built- using their materials, possible methods and engineering knowledge.
I'm not a Theist.

billy rubin

the hardest thing to do would be to get the stones from the bottom to the top. all you have to do to make that happen is build a ramp around the pyramid and drag things up from the bottom.

as the pyramid gets higher, the ramp becomes longer but takes less additional material to build as the pyramid has a smaller perimeter the higher you go. here's a huge landfill in israel that shows the technique.

^^^this whole complex is some 2000 acres, while th elargest pyramid at giza is some 14 acres at the base.

i don't see it as something hard to build. to me the hard part would be to construct a solid foundation to prevent the huge thing from settling. apparntly the overburden was removed and the pyramids were constructe directly on bedrock.

to build it all you need are quarries, a way to transport stone blocks, and a lot of people to pull on the ropes. i think th egyptians of that era had all that.

i dont know anything about chechen itza, though, it ould be interesting to compare the engineering of the two.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

No one

I would get the other 15 people on earth and we would sacrifice a bull, then in the morning.. poof.... a pyramid.

Randy

Quote from: No one on July 05, 2020, 09:41:58 PM
I would get the other 15 people on earth and we would sacrifice a bull, then in the morning.. poof.... a pyramid.
I don't know if one would get a pyramid out of it but the bull could be cooked for a nice barbecue. :)
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

No one

Magdalena

Quote from: Randy on July 06, 2020, 12:00:25 AM
Quote from: No one on July 05, 2020, 09:41:58 PM
I don't know if one would get a pyramid out of it but the bull could be cooked for a nice barbecue. :)
True. First things first.  :grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Randy

Quote from: No one on July 06, 2020, 02:19:15 AM
You would then be smited!
I think a good smiting is worth a good barbecue. So smiteth away!
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

MarcusA

Why would I build a pyramid? I'm never dying, it's only when I cough from smoking that I seem to be dying.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Old Seer

Quote from: Old Seer on July 04, 2020, 10:31:58 PMWhat would your proposal be to build a pyramid? IOW, how would you do it- What machinery/method(s) would you use. 
This is how I would do it. I take it there,s a number of physicists on this site to understand the unexplained particulars. I'll let them finish the structure if they want.
The basics: We already have the pyramid half finished at this time. So, lets take a 2 ton block up to the level being worked on. Lets say the average weight of a worker is 150 lbs.It would take 27 workers to get the block to the needed level but lets use 30.
Up the side of the structure there are wood ramps going straight up the side. Ropes are going up the ramps and partially down the other side. The 30 workers are on the level being worked on. As they pull the rope down the other side the block on the ramp is pulled up the other side. When it's in place they climb back up to do it over again. The only work they're doing is climbing up the structure and then each is carrying their own weight back up the structure. They are doing no work to get the block up the side as they together outweigh block.

Of course there are other blocks of different sizes and shapes that will require more men. As the structure goes up less ramps are needed and all sides can be worked on at the same time right at the start of the project. A continuous system can be set in place so blocks can be on the way up as fast as the stone masons can make them.
Edit added: Methods and means can be reasoned so those working on the pyramid site are doing very little heavy work.
I'm not a Theist.

Old Seer

Here's a fellow that might have some answers. Looks good to me. You will have to skip ahead a bit to get past the unneeded parts.

https://youtu.be/NZMwM0nTXOo
I'm not a Theist.

Old Seer

Hmm. 3687 views. I didn't realize so many would be interested in a subject as this.
I'm not a Theist.

Tank

Quote from: Old Seer on February 02, 2024, 04:26:45 PMHmm. 3687 views. I didn't realize so many would be interested in a subject as this.

Thar figure includes 'crawlers' as well as members.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.