News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Fun Science Videos

Started by Sandra Craft, December 01, 2015, 06:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

I suspect that re-arangement of molecular structures has influenced the refrationans of light waves?????   Is that clumsy supposition in the ball park Caleiasseia?

Your screen name is difficult, Please allow me to refer to you as Ms. C hereafter.  In any case, your posts are stimulating.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on March 30, 2019, 02:25:48 AM
I suspect that re-arangement of molecular structures has influenced the refrationans of light waves?????   Is that clumsy supposition in the ball park Caleiasseia?

Your screen name is difficult, Please allow me to refer to you as Ms. C hereafter.  In any case, your posts are stimulating.

'Ms C' is a Mr. :grin:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on March 30, 2019, 07:49:40 AM
Quote from: Icarus on March 30, 2019, 02:25:48 AM

'Ms C' is a Mr. :grin:
:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Caliasseia

There are two reactions generating I- ions, one fast and one slow, and similarly, two reactions consuming the I- ions and converting them to free iodine. As long as the system is far from equilibrium, the reactions will continue, acting as feedback loops for each other. Arrange for different transition metal ions to be present during the I- generation phase, and the resulting iodide salts are strongly coloured. There's also starch in there, which of course forms a complex with free iodine that's a deep blue colour.
Bad ideas exist to be destroyed ...

hermes2015

Quote from: Caliasseia on March 31, 2019, 11:30:05 PM
There are two reactions generating I- ions, one fast and one slow, and similarly, two reactions consuming the I- ions and converting them to free iodine. As long as the system is far from equilibrium, the reactions will continue, acting as feedback loops for each other. Arrange for different transition metal ions to be present during the I- generation phase, and the resulting iodide salts are strongly coloured. There's also starch in there, which of course forms a complex with free iodine that's a deep blue colour.

I find inorganic chemistry much more intimidating than organic chemistry, but I understood your clear explanation.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Sorry about the Ms/Mr thing C..

Ever vigilant Tank forces me to pay closer attention

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on April 01, 2019, 05:11:02 AM
Sorry about the Ms/Mr thing C..

Ever vigilant Tank forces me to pay closer attention

He's got long hair so it's an understandable mistake :grin:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Here is a legitimate fun science video.  It is fun because Neil D, Tyson is animated as usual.   This guy is an extemporaneous speaker of remarkable ability.  This is a Q and A session.   Along about 14 minutes in, one of the questions is about religion.  He answers with class and respect for the questioner.   He also defeats the faith concept politely but decisively.

Worth the twenty minutes or so.  (well at least it is for me)      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd993w3syBM

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

:rofl:  Holy crap those are hilarious!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

Going on two years since this thread was active.  It was begun by Sandra Craft aka Books and Cats.

I miss her because she is a class lady who was one of us. I do wish her well. If she ever sees this post, let it be known that she is fondly remembered by this old guy.

I will not leave out Silver sphinx ......Nor Claire.

Wherever you respected girls are.........Seasons greetings.   

billy rubin

whats the isdue?

where are the chicks?

half the human race

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

I failed to mention some of the other ladies that have rewarded us with their presence. Mags was an interesting person, fiery,clever, intelligent,very sensitive. There was the Christian lady in Pakistan who was held in esteem by we HAFers.  Where is Buddy, Dobermonster, or the Siberian Husky lady. What the hell?  We even had a Goth....I think she was Sweetdeath. I miss them all.

Right now we have only one participant from the fairest sex; Anne D. Thank you for your input Anne.

Dammit we need more participation from the other half of the world. There are something like eight billion humans on this earth and none of us would be here without the participation of those of the opposite sex.

Tom62

People come and people go on HAF and other online forums. Most of them will be missed. Thankfully some of them occasionally return or can be found back on Facebook and co.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein