News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

I am afraid, and I've got a question about Christian "visions" of hell

Started by manga, April 02, 2017, 11:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Father Bruno on April 06, 2017, 04:07:25 PM
I think you folks scared Magna away. :-[

Maybe some of you were right about him being a Xtian troll pretending to be an atheist, hoping to scare us into religion with the "but what about hell?" ploy.  Must be so disappointing for them when their reindeer games fail.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Gloucester on April 06, 2017, 04:34:56 PM
Dredge hasn't dragged his bucket here for a while either.

I'm not sure but I think Dredge may have been given a vacation by the mods.
Sandy

Velma

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 06, 2017, 07:54:24 PM

Maybe some of you were right about him being a Xtian troll pretending to be an atheist, hoping to scare us into religion with the "but what about hell?" ploy.  Must be so disappointing for them when their reindeer games fail.
They are not generally worried about converting someone immediately. They usually think of it as "planting a seed."
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Dave

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 06, 2017, 07:55:27 PM

Missed that if so, I knew that he was on a public warning so not surprised.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Quote from: Velma on April 06, 2017, 08:15:58 PM

They are not generally worried about converting someone immediately. They usually think of it as "planting a seed."

Doubt it will find the right nutrients here!

But, maybe we do the same back, fight agsinst thrir blather in the hope that one will have second thoughts. Apart from the enjoyment of putting an argument together in response it is usually a waste of time otherwise.

Anyone ever head of a convsersion from theism through a forum? Or 'tother way?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Velma on April 06, 2017, 08:15:58 PM

Isn't there something in the bible about not throwing your seed on stony ground, where it gets scorched by the sun?  I think we qualify as stony ground, basking away under the bright light of reality.
Sandy

Recusant

Quote from: Gloucester on April 06, 2017, 08:18:19 PM

Dredge has not been suspended, but neither has he logged in since the first of the month. Maybe taking his time to formulate an appropriate response. Or whatever.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 06, 2017, 09:01:47 PM
Isn't there something in the bible about not throwing your seed on stony ground, where it gets scorched by the sun?  I think we qualify as stony ground, basking away under the bright light of reality.

Oooh, I like that:smilenod:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on April 07, 2017, 12:16:32 AM

Dredge has not been suspended, but neither has he logged in since the first of the month. Maybe taking his time to formulate an appropriate response. Or whatever.
He hasn't logged in since the first of the month...?  :chin:
I asked him to dance with me on the 31st.  :notsure:
Maybe he's mad at me.  :(
Do Catholics dance? Are they allowed to dance?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on April 07, 2017, 04:03:24 AM
Quote from: Recusant on April 07, 2017, 12:16:32 AM

He hasn't logged in since the first of the month...?  :chin:
I asked him to dance with me on the 31st.  :notsure:
Maybe he's mad at me.  :(
Do Catholics dance? Are they allowed to dance?
This is good, trust me.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Randy

Quote from: Arturo on April 03, 2017, 12:11:34 AM
These stories are lies. I've met people who've died and come back, had near death experiences, ect. They all state that you don't see anything. You don't even experience time. You just remember the moment before you die, and wake up where you wake up. There is nothing in between those things.

Resurrecting yet another old topic. It's not like I have anything to do all day but sleep and be on my laptop.  8)

I think I died, or came close to it, about a year ago. I've mentioned this in another topic but it wasn't related so I figured I'd put it someplace where it belonged.

I was taken to the operating room straight from the emergency room. I was told they were going to remove my gallbladder. The anesthesiologist put me under and I was in the recovery room in I guess about thirty minutes, definitely under an hour. I was told they couldn't intubate me. Let me explain what intubation is before I go since I've mentioned it before.

Intubation is where they put a tube in your larynx so a machine can do the breathing for a person who is under anesthesia. A person's muscles are paralyzed so even the diaphragm doesn't move. At least I think that's right.

I've had radiation therapy along with chemotherapy about five years ago, give or take. The radiation therapy was done on my throat where the cancer lied through my neck. My openings for food intake and breathing have been shrinking little by little. Last year, it became a problem.

After I was put under anesthesia, they tried to intubate me. They couldn't get the apparatus into my airway. I wasn't breathing and my vitals dropped. This is an anesthesiologist's worst nightmare. They had to start doing chest compressions to keep me going until they got me back to breathing on my own.

Now, I had not thought much about it after it was explained to me by my daughter whom the doctor told about it. After I was in my hospital room a nurse asked me if I had "seen any white lights". Why the plural is beyond me. I was always told there was just one. But no, I had not. I was put under and the next thing I knew I was in the recovery room. No time seemed to have passed.

Surprisingly I wasn't alarmed about being almost dead. I was quite calm about the whole thing. I figured if that's what death is like, maybe I'll go to sleep and not wake up one day. That would be a nice way to go.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg