News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Buddy I will dare to give you grandfatherly advice "cause we like you and love you.. Here it is..... 

Save yourself some grief by NOT wearing that watch band at work.  Do wear it wherever you damned well please elsewhere.  Small town Indiana Is not quite as bigoted  as small town Alabama but there are just too many ignorant people that can, and will, cause you some kind of hassle at your bank.  I am truly sad to have said and observed such a thing but reality surrounds us one and all.

In defense of Indiana, I will reveal that I was born in Indianapolis.....a really long time ago.......... (during the bronze age)

One more thing. You are cute as hell in that picture.

Dark Lightning

Sad fact, yes, about people's attitudes concerning being gay. Our neighbors on the east of us are from Indianapolis. The couple on their east side is two women. Across the street is a gay male couple. The next door neighbor wife goes out of her way to be obnoxious about it. What a cow, is all I can say. She gossips all kinds of lying shit about my wife to the neighbors, as well as anyone else who will listen.

On a cheerful note, I got my table saw configured and started making a wood container for coffee filters (of all things!). Just something to try out the nice calibration, and I'd rather have a container than the plastic bag sitting on the [edit] counter (not corner).

Tank

I didn't even notice the watch band.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

I've had a string of cars with the rainbow flag sticker in the rear window, which is seen quite a lot here, and never experienced any problems.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Buddy

Quote from: Icarus on September 02, 2019, 12:35:44 AM
Buddy I will dare to give you grandfatherly advice "cause we like you and love you.. Here it is..... 

Save yourself some grief by NOT wearing that watch band at work.  Do wear it wherever you damned well please elsewhere.  Small town Indiana Is not quite as bigoted  as small town Alabama but there are just too many ignorant people that can, and will, cause you some kind of hassle at your bank.  I am truly sad to have said and observed such a thing but reality surrounds us one and all.

In defense of Indiana, I will reveal that I was born in Indianapolis.....a really long time ago.......... (during the bronze age)

I really appreciate the advice Icarus. I've been wearing this particular band for a few weeks now and haven't run into any problems yet. I am very fortunate to work for a bank that is quite progressive. I am also fortunate to have coworkers and a boss who are all increasingly supportive.

Back in June, all branches decorated for pride month. It was surprisingly well received by the population. The few that did complain to my boss were told that if they didn't like it, they could go to another bank.

I know that your advice comes from a place of love, but I won't take it off just because someone might be offended. If the old geezers can wear their Trump 2020 hats, then I'm wearing my rainbow watch band.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

hermes2015

Quote from: Buddy on September 02, 2019, 03:30:18 PM

I really appreciate the advice Icarus. I've been wearing this particular band for a few weeks now and haven't run into any problems yet. I am very fortunate to work for a bank that is quite progressive. I am also fortunate to have coworkers and a boss who are all increasingly supportive.

Back in June, all branches decorated for pride month. It was surprisingly well received by the population. The few that did complain to my boss were told that if they didn't like it, they could go to another bank.

I know that your advice comes from a place of love, but I won't take it off just because someone might be offended. If the old geezers can wear their Trump 2020 hats, then I'm wearing my rainbow watch band.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Biggus Dickus

I just got back last night from spending four days visiting my sister and her wife's place in Saugatuck, MI (Located right on Lake Michigan)

It's a beautiful area, and I had a relaxing and enjoyable weekend.

Here's a picture of their house (Second home, they live and work in Ann Arbor, MI). Like many homes and shops in this area it is adorned with not only an American flag, but a beautiful rainbow flag.

Their home in Ann Arbor is similarly adorned with both flags.

While staying with them one of my favorite places to relax was nestled in their beautiful, rainbow hammock on the side porch. Here's a picture of the hammock.

I was going to lay down and read in it for a while, but as you can see from the picture the hammock was already occupied. :)

My point of posting this is simple.

Wear your watch Buddy. Wear your watch, and be proud. Be proud as fuck of who you are and represent both you and your community.

I posted these pictures and other pictures like it on social media...I'm not gay, but I love my sister and her wife dearly, and I make sure everyone knows that.

So when I get back to work tomorrow, I'm sure some of my coworkers will comment on how fun and enjoyable my time in Sauguck was with my sister by the look of my postings and pictures, and if they (Conservatives all) comment on my sister being gay and married to another woman, I'll say yes they are gay, and have been happily married for 20 years. Nice isn't it?

I'm not going to hide or cower from that...if my sister and her wife have the fortitude to be open with their lifestyle, then I will also be open with my support for both them, and their community, and fuck those who disagree.

By the way, though off topic here's a picture of my niece who pulled in a 27lb King Salmon on our trip.

Now that's a fish! (I on the other hand only caught one, barely keepable lake trout)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Buddy

Wow Bruno, you were only a stones throw from where I'm at!

Beautiful house and adorable puppies. Looks like you guys had a great time.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Buddy on September 02, 2019, 05:06:24 PM
Wow Bruno, you were only a stones throw from where I'm at!

Beautiful house and adorable puppies. Looks like you guys had a great time.

Hey Bud...yeah it is close, in fact most of the people up in the Saugatuck area are from Michigan, Indiana and Illinois.

We did have a wonderful time. The area is very beautiful. Great beaches, beautiful dunes to hike and climb, plus a smattering of great restaurants, bars, coffee shops and stores.

Lots of dogs as well...I mean they're everywhere. In fact I've never seen a higher concentration of dogs im my life.

If you've never visited the area before I recommend a visit. 8)

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Buddy on September 02, 2019, 03:30:18 PM

Good for your boss! Some people just need to leave the Dark Ages.

Icarus

Here is a salute to your bosses and associates at the bank.  It is pleasing to learn that we are moving toward the age of reason.  That was not always so.

Many moons ago, I was a close friend of a gay woman who was a teacher at a local high school.  I will call her Joan. She was an active student organizer and one of the student favorites.  For sure she was in the closet.  The closet reason was a condition of employment.  As a student favorite she was almost obligated to attend the senior Prom.  She needed a date.  It was me, a happily married guy. My wife was onboard with that bit of chicanery.    We had a rousing good time and the students never knew the deep dark secret. All is well that ends well.

That was just one episode where I defended my friend or participated in some seemingly deceptive scheme.  Joan went on to earn her PHD and became a tenured professor at a major university.   In the meantime she had the mother instinct and wanted to become pregnant. That was arranged with the cooperation of a thoroughly healthy Gay man. Sure enough she had her baby in due course.

In time her position came into question because of her "illegitimate" child.  She married a gay guy who was also a tenured professor at the university.  That has worked out very well for both of them.  They actually live together and they are actually devoted to one another. ......Just not in a sexually involved way.

All that was in the distant past and I am still ashamed that my society had placed such a burden on a fellow human.  That is particularly egregious because the parties involved were, and are, a credit to society and their sexual orientation has not a damned thing to do with their exceptional worth.

Magdalena

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on September 02, 2019, 04:50:51 PM
I just got back last night from spending four days visiting my sister and her wife's place in Saugatuck, MI (Located right on Lake Michigan)
Wow! The whole thing sounds wonderful.  :tellmemore:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

:oooh-me!:
Speaking of rainbows...

SF Castro District Streets Get Splash Of Color With Rainbow Crosswalks.

PHILADELPHIA — Rainbow-colored crosswalks .

WEST HOLLYWOOD, CA 

KEY WEST, Fla.

Seattle, WA.

Phoenix will soon have its first rainbow crosswalks to show support for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) community.

:nyancat:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

jumbojak

Three hours at the Fight Club tonight and I feel great!

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on September 03, 2019, 03:23:50 AM
:oooh-me!:
Speaking of rainbows...

PHILADELPHIA — Rainbow-colored crosswalks .

We've got these in Long Beach.  Some people complained about the expense, but nobody can say they didn't see these cross walks!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany