News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

That was interesting. I'd love that saw. It's so quiet.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Dead simple but effective candle holder. 8" x 3" x 1" piece of wood, 1 hole for hinge, length of dowel as hinge pin, washers to separate pieces, 6 holes for candles and 10 cuts on the band saw. Plus sanding and finish to suit.

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

That looks so professional, Tank. Did you design it?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 20, 2020, 10:25:52 AM

No. I got a book of weekend woodwork projects and that was in it :)

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on November 20, 2020, 11:57:45 AM

I thought it was the latest product of your workshop skills!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 20, 2020, 12:33:39 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 20, 2020, 11:57:45 AM

I thought it was the latest product of your workshop skills!

Well I do have two new toys that facilitated their production :)

hermes2015

Sorry, I misunderstood: so you actually did make the candle holder, but it wasn't your own design. I am so slow sometimes (or usually, you must be thinking). Very nice new toys.
― Charles Eames

Tank

Another little project. A candle nook. It has a space for a box of matches. Can I find a box of matches to fit it? Can I f**k! Apparently all matches are long to light BBQs now and smokers use lighters.

:geezer!:

I had an old vacuum cleaner. I bought a 30L polypropylene barrel and a cyclone unit. 99% of the dust and shavings go into the barrel and the tiny fraction left gets filtered out. Cost about a third of what an assembled dust extraction unit would have. Works very well.

billy rubin

the duct tape adds a professional touch.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on November 20, 2020, 09:02:05 PM
the duct tape adds a professional touch.

Of course it adds an air of practical engineering skill :rofl:

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on November 20, 2020, 06:51:16 PM
Another little project. A candle nook. It has a space for a box of matches. Can I find a box of matches to fit it? Can I f**k! Apparently all matches are long to light BBQs now and smokers use lighters.

Really?

These don't seem too long,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BOXS-SAFETY-MATCHES-BRAND-Boxes/dp/B0797TWSF3/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Safety+Matches&qid=1605918649&sr=8-1

and they've got a pic of a ship on them.

Is this merely a disingenuous attempt to justify the purchase of a Burleigh & Stronginthearm match shortening saw?

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

hermes2015

Quote from: Bad Penny II on November 21, 2020, 12:39:03 AM
Is this merely a disingenuous attempt to justify the purchase of a Burleigh & Stronginthearm match shortening saw?

It sounds like a good enough reason to me. The name Burleigh & Stronginthearm makes me want to buy one as well.
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: Tank on November 20, 2020, 06:51:16 PM

Really?

These don't seem too long,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BOXS-SAFETY-MATCHES-BRAND-Boxes/dp/B0797TWSF3/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Safety+Matches&qid=1605918649&sr=8-1

and they've got a pic of a ship on them.

I'm trying to stop spending with Amazon! And I already have a Burleigh & Stronginthearm match shortening saw! It does have other uses :)

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 21, 2020, 03:23:46 AM

It sounds like a good enough reason to me. The name Burleigh & Stronginthearm makes me want to buy one as well.

That's Discworld marketing for you.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on November 21, 2020, 07:52:40 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on November 21, 2020, 03:23:46 AM

That's Discworld marketing for you.

Never read any of it, so thanks for the enlightenment.
― Charles Eames