What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

Bad Penny II

I am going to attempt to post the greatest album ever that wasn't a Rolling Stones record.

Mr. B

Thank you, Bad Penny II but I'm afraid you've hit a nerve for me. I love Neal Young. My personal favorite album of his is Harvest Moon. (Although I'm liking what you posted. Never heard that album.)

Most of my favorite bands hale from the Seatle reagion in the early 90s. Grunge they called it, or sometimes 'Alternative".

Neil Young is considered the "godfather of grunge". One of my all time favorite bands is Pearl Jam. With little fan fare Pearl Jam signed on to be Neil's backing band for the album Mirror Ball (not even close to my favorite albums list but still).

For a guy who has always questioned "the man" and as recently as 2006 headlined a tour called "The Freedom of Speech Tour" I find it odd that he refuses to share his music on the same platform as a guy who asks questions and says things he, himself, does not approve of.

It's like the kids who questioned authority back in the 60's don't appreciate that sort of attitude now that their generation is at the helm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Mr. B

Here is a song that was on my playlist I listened to every night I went to sleep in Iraq from 08-09

I'll be the one to protect you from
Your enemies and all your demons
A will to survive and a voice of reason
Your enemies and your choices son
One and the same I must isolate you
Isolate and save you from yourself
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Bad Penny II

Why isn't Wavelength in my Van folder?
Surely it would be in one the best of CDs, but then Astral weeks isn't on them either.

Van Morrison
Van Morrison - Days Like This
Van Morrison Astral Weeks
Van Morrison Back On Top WMA 192kb
Van Morrison Best 1
Van Morrison Best 2
Van Morrison Down The Road
Van Morrison Great3 mp3
Van Morrison Inarticulate Speech of the Heart WMA 192kb
Van Morrison Into The Music
Van Morrison Irish Heartbeat WMA 192kb
Van Morrison Magic Time
Van Morrison Midnight Special
Van Morrison Moondance
Van Morrison No Guru No Method No Teacher wma 256kbs
Van Morrison Pay The Devil
Van Morrison Sense Of Wonder
Van Morrison The Great Van Morrison WMA 192kb
Van Morrison Veedon Fleece
Van Morrison Whats Wrong-Picture mp3

I've got the vinyl but no turntable
I've heard people call it a silly song, or maybe that was Domino? or Cleaning Windows??

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Mr. B on February 16, 2022, 11:59:59 PM
Thank you, Bad Penny II but I'm afraid you've hit a nerve for me. I love Neal Young. My personal favorite album of his is Harvest Moon. (Although I'm liking what you posted. Never heard that album.)

Most of my favorite bands hale from the Seatle reagion in the early 90s. Grunge they called it, or sometimes 'Alternative".

Neil Young is considered the "godfather of grunge". One of my all time favorite bands is Pearl Jam. With little fan fare Pearl Jam signed on to be Neil's backing band for the album Mirror Ball (not even close to my favorite albums list but still).

Ha, I was thinking that song before it started playing.
I have the vinyl and a Mirrorball folder, with only Downtown in it, a DIY vinyl rip, I was never good at those, Ytube is better and it's usually so much worse.

Neil has a few 80s on good noisy tunes., Oh Suzana and Greendale

Quote from: Mr. B on February 16, 2022, 11:59:59 PM

For a guy who has always questioned "the man" and as recently as 2006 headlined a tour called "The Freedom of Speech Tour" I find it odd that he refuses to share his music on the same platform as a guy who asks questions and says things he, himself, does not approve of.

It's like the kids who questioned authority back in the 60's don't appreciate that sort of attitude now that their generation is at the helm.

It doesn't surprise me.
He was a Polio victim as a child as was Joni Mitchel.
Polio is kinda a major life experience.
In the long ago
The Polio horror sweeps through communities everywhere
Some fall to it some don't, all parents fear
Science finds a solution, no need to fear for your children
Not soon enough for Neil and Joni

To the near now, and precious people are falling
Science, wonderful scientists deliver again
Much less fear for our old ones

To the now and opportunists make dollars as conduits of shit

Biggus Dickus

Neil Young: 'If You Support Spotify, You are Destroying an Art Form'

Young stressed in his latest post that he "supports free speech" and "has never been in favor of censorship."

"Private companies have the right to choose what they profit from, just as I can choose not to have my music support a platform that disseminates harmful information," Young writes. "I am happy and proud to stand in solidarity with the front line health care workers who risk their lives every day to help others."

Fuck Joe Rogan and fuck Spotify...I canceled my account with them, and even insisted they delete my personal data so no record or even anonymizing personal data exists on their platform.

LONG LIVE NEIL YOUNG!!

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Mr. B

Here's a thing. I was born and raised in the south. I am just stating this as a fact. Growing up I became familiar with the term, "American by birth, Southern by the grace of God."

However, I have no idea what "southern" tradition actually is. I mean, I know what some people who were born and raised elsewhere think it means but my cumulative experience does not reflect popular opinion. It's more like a fun house mirror.

We have a radio station here that bills itself as a classic rock station. WQUT. Riding the bus to school and back and later driving down the road in my own car, I would often hear two songs played back to back.

followed immediately by

It was all just entertainment to me. If Mr. Young doesn't like his music being shared on the same platform as other people who do not hold the same views as he does then he should just delete his entire catalogue and never have his voice heard again.

But that would be a shame in my opinion.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Mr. B on February 17, 2022, 09:50:20 PM
Here's a thing. I was born and raised in the south. I am just stating this as a fact. Growing up I became familiar with the term, "American by birth, Southern by the grace of God."

However, I have no idea what "southern" tradition actually is. I mean, I know what some people who were born and raised elsewhere think it means but my cumulative experience does not reflect popular opinion. It's more like a fun house mirror.

We have a radio station here that bills itself as a classic rock station. WQUT. Riding the bus to school and back and later driving down the road in my own car, I would often hear two songs played back to back.

followed immediately by

It was all just entertainment to me. If Mr. Young doesn't like his music being shared on the same platform as other people who do not hold the same views as he does then he should just delete his entire catalogue and never have his voice heard again.

But that would be a shame in my opinion.

Not all platforms are the same. Spotify is a singular service, not just some radio station. Times are different now, and people pay these platforms subscription fees to listen to the content they provide.
So if an artist doesn't want his music to be played on a certain platform, for which he receives royalties from, for whatever reason he decides, then that should be their right....artists have done this for years. Like when Trump was playing Born in the USA by Springsteen at his rallies. The Boss told him and his organization to stop as it could lead some people to think maybe Bruce supported him (Plus it always cracks me up as this is an anti-Vietnam song, and not a patriot song as many on the right believe)

It's like when statues of racists traitors like Robert-Fucking-Lee get torn down, and people scream that we are somehow erasing history. The history is still there, you can go to a library, a bookstore, online and read plenty of history about the traitor,...hell you can even read fellow racists worshipping Lee.

Statues are put up to honor people, slave owners like Lee don't deserve any honor with statues that glorify them.

Again, Neil's own words say it plainly with regards to fucking anti-vaxxers. Private companies have the right to choose what they profit from, just as I can choose not to have my music support a platform that disseminates harmful information," Young writes. "I am happy and proud to stand in solidarity with the front line health care workers who risk their lives every day to help others."

billy rubin

my grandfathers father wS an infantryman intbe confederacy. fought against tbe fool yanks at chickamauga u der braxton  bragg.

growing up in segregated oklahoma, the confederate battle flag was everywhdre. hats, belt buckles, license plates, front yards. i was completely unaware of tbe racistovertones until i was an adult and returned to america from overseas.

i went to university attbesame place my father did, andhis father too. the univdrsity wS in a sundown town. black people had to be out of town by sundown, or sufferconsequences.. so tbere was no niggertown, as they werecalled by whitepeople. the littletown i was born in did have a black section, where things werepretty poor and rundown.

no black kids in my schools in the states. didntknow anyblack people until college. where i live now inthe north is 98 percent gringo, soi still dont know any.

oklaboma is an okay place now to be black   i think. as much as anyplace in the south can be. at least it isnt texas

set the function, not the mechanism.

Biggus Dickus

My Great, Great, Great, Grandfather fought in the Civil War as well, though he was on the American side. He was wounded at Gettysburg, and then later marched with Sherman as he toured the South.

He kept a small diary during the war, and then afterwards wrote more expansively about his feelings about the war and the issues that caused it.

He didn't write favorably about those he fought against, especially their leaders. He believed they should have been treated more harshly after the war than they were treated
I wish I had the diary and his other writings now because I haven't read them in a long time (After my Grandfather died my Uncle took possession of them. When my Mother discovered he was stealing from his estate she cut off ties with him. I tried later to get copies of the diary and writings, but failed to do so)

Anyway what I do remember is that he wanted to see the leaders of the Confederacy punished, and not the common soldiers who fought the war. He was angry that these men like Lee who swore an oath to the American Constitution could break that oath and not face punishment, even though as he wrote men who didn't want to die in the war and deserted were shot and killed by the same Government who gave a free pass to the men who led an armed revolt against their very country, and killed Americans.

Looking back now it all seems to have been in vain, as here we are 160 years later, and that very history seems at time to be repeating itself.

I don't want to argue with anyone anymore...I get tired of it. My own family has split some in the last several years, with opposing positions on race, and white privilege.

You guys win, I'm done.

Mr. B

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on February 18, 2022, 01:07:58 AM
My Great, Great, Great, Grandfather fought in the Civil War as well, though he was on the American side.

Wait...the what now?

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Mr. B on February 18, 2022, 05:06:41 AM
Quote from: Papasito Bruno on February 18, 2022, 01:07:58 AM
My Great, Great, Great, Grandfather fought in the Civil War as well, though he was on the American side.

Wait...the what now?

The US Constitution defines treason as levying war against the government, as well as aiding and abetting its enemies. By that definition, every single Confederate soldier in the Civil War who fought for the Confederacy, as well as every political leader of the same, was a traitor to the Unites States of America.

So that means those heroic and faithful soldiers like my ancestor, who fought for what some refer to as the Union side, were actually true, and loyal Americans, and they fought on the American side of the war.

The others were traitorous scum.

billy rubin

set the function, not the mechanism.