News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Gladiator Metaphor

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, August 29, 2020, 02:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

I watched Gladiator tonight and tried to put it in the context of the USA political situation. Commodus is Trump, Maximus is Biden, trying to restore the republic. Perhaps a bit facile, but it pleased me.

Recusant

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 29, 2020, 02:21:02 AM
I watched Gladiator tonight and tried to put it in the context of the USA political situation. Commodus is Trump, Maximus is Biden, trying to restore the republic. Perhaps a bit facile, but it pleased me.

OK, but let us hope that the parallel only extends as far as the pleasing if facile analogy, and not to the historical reality.  8)  < Hey, we had a Biden smiley hiding in plain sight all along.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

All Biden has to do is vanquish Trump. The fate of the republic is in our hands. If he wins, he will have already accomplished the most important task of his presidency - get rid of the dictator. 

But yes, the analogy only goes so far.

billy rubin

i think biden could do a numberon fat donald in the arena.

i think international military conflicts shouldbedecided bysingle combat as well.

we d have fewer of them if the belligerent statesmen had to go it on their own

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Randy

My father, being a military man for twenty years, stated often that the two leaders who want to go to war should put on boxing gloves and enter the ring.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Randy on August 30, 2020, 01:01:41 AM
My father, being a military man for twenty years, stated often that the two leaders who want to go to war should put on boxing gloves and enter the ring.

I agree with this.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey