News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on April 06, 2020, 07:23:25 PM
If I ever got a space where I could put up a workbench, I'd probably go with the English joiner's bench. It's simpler to build than the standard woodworking bench, and can be dismantled fairly easily if needed.

It looks beautiful. In my case I had a sheet of chipboard 244cm by 122cm which I cut up to form the base and two pieces of 10mm plywood 49cm by122cm. Drew up models on graph paper to make the best use of the materials. Very crude but very satisfying.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: Tank on April 06, 2020, 04:03:43 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on April 06, 2020, 01:49:12 PM
You're going to need a bigger bench for a vise!

Wait and see :)

This is the woodwork vice. The 3mm aluminium sheet spreads the load.

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

Nicely done! That should beef it quite a bit. Maybe run a rail under the right side of the aluminum sheet as well? If there's room, something like 18 mm X 50 or 75 mm tall. It would give a lot of stiffness.

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on April 06, 2020, 10:43:32 PM

There's very little shear strength on the front of that bench, especially with a vise. If you could put a panel or reinforce the two by sections with some boards that would help a lot. In use it would tend to want to fall like a house of cards.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Recusant

It'll do for light work, though I think the chipboard will eventually prove problematic. Very workmanlike job on the construction, Tank:thumbsup:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

hermes2015

That should be useful for your lighter projects, Tank. I love to see the use of recycled materials that are given a second life.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on April 07, 2020, 04:22:00 AM
It'll do for light work, though I think the chipboard will eventually prove problematic. Very workmanlike job on the construction, Tank:thumbsup:

Chipboard is a pain as it only really works in compression. There is a back, which you can't see, which also goes all the way to the floor and supports the top. And it's only ever going to be used for light to medium wood work. If I manage to break it I'll post pictures of the wreckage  :D

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on April 07, 2020, 01:05:22 AM
Nicely done! That should beef it quite a bit. Maybe run a rail under the right side of the aluminum sheet as well? If there's room, something like 18 mm X 50 or 75 mm tall. It would give a lot of stiffness.

The vice is really just a third hand for supporting planks while I saw them. So for a vertical force it will only have to hold the weight of a plank. If I'm plaining a piece of wood that won't put too much vertical force and the plate will spread that around. When sawing the forward force of the cut is transmitted to the wall as the bench touches the wall at the back.

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on April 07, 2020, 01:45:14 AM
Quote from: Tank on April 06, 2020, 10:43:32 PM

There's very little shear strength on the front of that bench, especially with a vise. If you could put a panel or reinforce the two by sections with some boards that would help a lot. In use it would tend to want to fall like a house of cards.

I agree. But I won't be doing any serious metal working on it. And weight wise I won't be putting anything on it I can't lift onto it so that won't be too much. The top is surprisingly strong/stiff plywood. And there is a full back to the box section which goes across the rear of the top surface and that is secured to both 'shelves' which are also structural, they are not just sitting on the battens. But time will tell ;)

billy rubin

plusses for the fire extinhuisher

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on April 07, 2020, 10:53:32 AM
plusses for the fire extinhuisher

Thank you. I have never had cause to use one and hope I never do!

jumbojak

Oh, I meant to ask, is you little hacksaw a Bahco? I think I have the same one.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on April 07, 2020, 01:31:28 PM

It is :)

billy rubin

i bought a reject bathroom cabinet as a second when i worked at a hardware store. then i bolted a formica top onto it.

what do you brits call that? melamine?

screwed a really nice little engine stand to the top so i can work on an assembled motor without struggling to turn it. spins like a revolving door.

the workshop itself is pretty big, but also pretty unorganized. lots of projects on the to-do list.

back from the workbench is a lift that lets me work on a chassis without lying on the floor

that lift by itself probably added five years to my life span. i'd been lying on the ground for 40 years before i went and bought it

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on April 07, 2020, 05:41:04 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on April 07, 2020, 01:31:28 PM

It is :)

It's not very good for big jobs but handy for starting cuts in pipe and whatnot when you don't have much room. Then you can go to town with the sawzall.