News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

hermes2015

That streamlined surface has a beautifully smooth finish. I like the way the penetrating varnish has brought out the wood colour and grain.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 22, 2021, 01:01:42 PM
^ Nice! Looks like mahogany.

Sapele is a mahogany alternative. I love the iridescent nature of the grain.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 22, 2021, 02:24:00 PM
That streamlined surface has a beautifully smooth finish. I like the way the penetrating varnish has brought out the wood colour and grain.

It's very tactile.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on August 22, 2021, 08:21:17 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 22, 2021, 01:01:42 PM
^ Nice! Looks like mahogany.

Sapele is a mahogany alternative. I love the iridescent nature of the grain.

Yup! I have a 4/4 X 10" X 8' plank of each that I have yet to press into service. I'm working down my treasure trove. Had to buy a red oak plank 1/2" by 13" by 11' though, to make a chest for my carving tool "expansion set". Just a 2 drawer job that the other one sits on (the old quartersawn white oak one). The walnut one is now sitting in my bedroom. I'm going to turn it into a sort of caddy for some of my stuff. I decided that it was just a little too nice to take back and forth the carving club. Which, btw, is allegedly starting up again next month.  :dance: The carcass is finished, and the drawers should be done except for varnish, tomorrow. The hardware (knobs, handles, corner protectors, lock) are ordered and in the mail. I'll post a pic when it's complete.

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on August 22, 2021, 10:18:18 PM
shapes have all sorts of interesting coonnotations

https://mail.tku.edu.tw/095980/airfoil%20design.pdf

Thanks for the link. That will be useful reference for me. It brought to mind Le Corbusier's use of elliptical aircraft tubing in his LC6 Glass Dining Table from around 1928.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Outstanding workmanship Tank. 

Mahogany use tends to deplete the Amazon forest of one its' important resources.   If that material is teak, then the Thailand resource can be further depleted. The Danes are using a disproportionate amount of teak.  They do it very well with their furniture................My house is over run with Danish modern stuff.  I am complicit. I have both of those species in my workshop wood stack.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on August 23, 2021, 07:09:34 AM
Outstanding workmanship Tank. 

Mahogany use tends to deplete the Amazon forest of one its' important resources.   If that material is teak, then the Thailand resource can be further depleted. The Danes are using a disproportionate amount of teak.  They do it very well with their furniture................My house is over run with Danish modern stuff.  I am complicit. I have both of those species in my workshop wood stack.

It's Sapele from Africa. Not yet an endangered source.

Dark Lightning

I'm not certain where my mahogany came from. It's possibly from South America. I have a bunch of bubinga, which is now on CITES as one type of rosewood. It is endangered. The cause is recent affluence with the Chinese; they're buying a lot of rosewood(s) (not from the US), and vast quantities of black walnut from the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CITES

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

Tank