Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

i always celebrate columbus day

my grandfather's first and middle names were Christopher Columbus

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

No one

I celebrate columbus day by slaughtering my neighbors and claiming what once belonged to them as mine.

Davin

Quote from: No one on October 12, 2020, 05:10:24 PM
I celebrate columbus day by slaughtering my neighbors and claiming what once belonged to them as mine.
It's not really Columbus Day unless you also enslave them, ship them off in cages to be seen as curiosities, give them all kinds of new diseases, and do it all for profit. Then when people start saying that maybe those are bad things just say it's not about that and then proudly say that you're celebrating it twice as hard now.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

What's with some people worshipping Christopher Columbus anyway? By all accounts he was a terrible person, besides all the atrocities he and his people committed.

It's an odd Eurocentric view for a non-European country.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 14, 2020, 11:20:29 PM
What's with some people worshipping Christopher Columbus anyway? By all accounts he was a terrible person, besides all the atrocities he and his people committed.

It's an odd Eurocentric view for a non-European country.

It's a big deal to a lot of Italian-Americans.  They promoted him as the discoverer of America (tho he wasn't) and an ideal representative of Italians when Italians were still getting a lot of crap as immigrants in this country.  I have friends who actually take it as a personal insult if anyone criticizes Columbus.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

"Jesus turned water into wine and Country Boys turned water into Shine."

Time for me to turn both of them into water.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Randy

:rofl: :notworthy: I'm not worthy to be in your presence although I will have some water thank you. (I can't drink alcohol anymore - too many medications.)
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

jumbojak

I think I need a bigger pan or two.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Is that yoghurt on top? It looks delicious.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Asmodean

600 streaming services, and there is nothing to watch.

Well, there is, if one would go for lazy, vacuous and/or ideology-laden (often vacuously so) crap with actors of negative charisma multipliers (that's a Dungeons and Dragons reference, for... Well, reference)

Actually, that's not entirely accurate. The Blacklist, for example, turned out to be fun. That thing with Legolas in it was not too intolerable either, although I lost interest some four episodes in. What I would really like, however, is some good, new, intellectually-challenging and/or thought-provoking Sci-Fi, and from what I can find, there just isn't any.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 22, 2020, 07:55:17 AM
Is that yoghurt on top? It looks delicious.

Ricotta. It's skillet lasagna. Forty five minutes after you start and there's a tasty meal that's guaranteed to piss off every Italian who sees your creation.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

I just watched the new Borat movie. Seeing Rudy Giuliani ready to receive a blowjob on a random hotel bed was simultaneously revolting and... Hilarious.