News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

animals in your life

Started by billy rubin, April 23, 2020, 01:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

I should build one and put all my university math and physics texts in it. "Hey, why is our next-door neighbor using his fireplace in July!?" :lol: I haven't cracked any of those texts in more years than I'd like to admit. When I left the antenna department at work for a mechanical position, my most well-thumbed tome was Machinery's Handbook.

Gratuitous picture of dog eating a piece of chicken. She's a real sweetheart, but those teeth.

https://i.imgur.com/EodtsoX.mp4

Icarus

DL my former most thumbed books were Machinery's Handbook and Marks: Mechanical Engineers Handbook.

Bluenose

Quote from: Icarus on May 13, 2023, 12:19:01 AMMum and dad have a book about a cat and numerous other books.   

I confess that I surreptitiously scan the library contents of new acquaintances.

There are two cases. One is that the person has interests that are in evidence by the book titles. One can then make a hasty judgement about whether to pursue a new friendship. There are often items of mutual interest, the better to start conversations.

The other kind of library has books that have never been cracked  The books have impressive, or ostentatious titles. That's show biz. The third category has books that are of little interest to the owner. The owner feels that they must be displayed because his sister in law gave him the book as a present. He dares not hurt the feelings of the lame brained SIL.

You can get some clues about the mentality of your neighborhood by putting up one of the "Little Library" boxes.   Taking note of the disappearance of one category of book or another is a clue.

At my parents house, there are more books than I can count.  I come from a long line of readers.  In Mum's case, she has books about cats (let us just say that this particular genre is well represented)  There are many books about history, particularly Australian history including early European settlement (we are descended from "First Fleeters") as well a vast array of historical fiction.  There are many art books and books about art, mainly regarding painters.  My Mum's father was a prominent Australian landscape artist.  There are too many cook books to count.  Then there are my father's collection of military books, particularly about naval history and naval aviation (he was a Royal Naval pilot back in the 1950s), books on woodworking and a plethora of general fiction owned by both my parents.  I'm sure I've left out vast swathes of their book collection.

I inherited a love of books and reading.  I particularly like good quality science fiction.  I also have an extensive collection of scientific books about Australian freshwater fish and ecosystems, plus my own collection of naval aviation books.  Furthermore, I was a (non - pilot) naval aviator back in the day and I believe that my father and I were the first father and son to serve as aircrew on the same squadron in the Royal Australian Navy.  Dad was part of a loan program in the 50s between the RN and the RAN.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

now its baby mockingbirds. the wife is still in specting dead possums on the road, but so far hasnt brought any pouch babies home.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Icarus

Billy the Avian flu is rampant across three continents, including our own.  The mortality rate of raptors and scavengers are especially concerning.  If you have dead Opossum carcasses, they are likely to attract Buzzards who can then spread the disease because of buzzard community sharing.

Have you seen any evidence of unusual bird mortality?

MarcusA

"Remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird." What's up with the mockingbird, billy?
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

billy rubin

my daughter is the maintenancce manager at a local hotel. inspectors came to look into the ventilation system, and tbe mockingbirds had a nest in it. so the nest had to go, and the sole occupant came home.

i think its a mimus. too big to be a starling i think and the juvenile plumage is ambiguous

billy rubin

the mockers are wonderful creatures. youll stand near a tree and listen to it and say

theres a robin

then

no its a grackle

no its a dove

no its a thrush

no its a wren

no its a nuthatch

eventually you just say

no.  its a mockingbird.

whats interesting is that they somwtimes will imitate birds that dont exist where you are. once i was in town in arizona, and i heard the distinct starter motor call of a cactus wren. catus wrens dont live in town-- theyre out in the lower sonoron desert. but there it eas. then it changed species and i realized, mockingbird.

they defend their nests with great diligence if you mess with them

MarcusA

The birds haven't started up this morning.

billy rubin

damn

now we have a baby sparrowhawk. still in the down. wife found it on the ground by tbe kitchen, near where theve been nesting.

parents are going nuts

hung a catcarrier up under the eves. if they find it before dark it might survive the night

MarcusA

Quote from: billy rubin on May 18, 2023, 12:24:35 AMdamn

now we have a baby sparrowhawk. still in the down. wife found it on the ground by tbe kitchen, near where theve been nesting.

parents are going nuts

hung a catcarrier up under the eves. if they find it before dark it might survive the night

I keep forgetting that it is spring over there.

billy rubin

billy rubin

here it is tbe little bastard

too young to stay outside. it was 37 F last night. so the nature goddess wife brought it in

Dark Lightning

:lol: Nice squeaky toy!  I hope that it lives...

Bluenose

Quote from: billy rubin on May 17, 2023, 04:49:06 PMthe mockers are wonderful creatures. youll stand near a tree and listen to it and say

theres a robin

then

no its a grackle

no its a dove

no its a thrush

no its a wren

no its a nuthatch

eventually you just say

no.  its a mockingbird.

whats interesting is that they somwtimes will imitate birds that dont exist where you are. once i was in town in arizona, and i heard the distinct starter motor call of a cactus wren. catus wrens dont live in town-- theyre out in the lower sonoron desert. but there it eas. then it changed species and i realized, mockingbird.

they defend their nests with great diligence if you mess with them

Speaking of bird mimics, I live very near to one of the best locations to find lyrebirds (within 4 or 5 km of my home).  I never tire of seeing and hearing them, just beautiful.

+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett