News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What Are You Reading?

Started by Cecilie, May 22, 2010, 06:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

Quote from: Tom62 on May 06, 2023, 04:19:43 AMI've just finished ,,Ik wou dat Stef Bos mijn vader was" a book written by my niece. It is an autobiographical and heartbreaking book about growing up as a child with parents that have psychological problems and alcohol addictions.

FYI: my oldest brother drank and smoked himself to death. He was never able to handle money and reality. He was in a toxic relationship with his partner, totally dominating her. His partner was depressive and tried to commit suicide a couple of times. Growing up in such a household was an ordeal.

That's so painful to hear, my sympathies.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

MarcusA

I've given up reading any Western Australians again. I couldn't even start the last two as my heart just wasn't into it.

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

MarcusA

What's really needed here in this section is a recommendations thread? I've started enough topics to sink a battleship. If you think that you've got the goods, go for it. It's a tough ask but someone might step up.

Icarus

Here is a topic that can be both fun and occasionally serious. It is a lot of huff and puff about punctuation.

https://getpocket.com/collections/the-best-writing-about-punctuation-full-stop?utm_source=pocket-newtab

billy rubin

back when i was a technical writer i used three or four major style manuals to cover what i needed.

computer writing was punctuation-sensitive and i wrote without typoes using correct speling too.

lots of rules, from that/which to the oxford comma to correct leading within ordered and unordered lists. and so on.

lots of anal retentive stuff

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

It's a part of a epic fantasy series. I approve. (There may even be a book review in a week or so - will have to see what laziness has planned for me ;-) )
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

I'm reading heaps of shit on the internet but not much else right now.

MarcusA

Libraries are a boundless source of energy.

MarcusA

I might get a book out of the local library on libraries, real and imagined.

MarcusA

I found it:

The Library: A Catalogue of Wonders by Stuart Kells

So far, so good.

MarcusA

My mind tends to wander. I should be reading right now.

MarcusA

Library books smell of common people.  (Inspired by Friedrich Nietzsche)

MarcusA

This thread should be pinned.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.