News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Not science as such but . . .

Started by Dave, March 04, 2017, 10:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

It is me again..................... What would we do without salt?  How would we salt the rim of our Margaritas?  A long time ago our salt had to be imported. It was expensive.  Then we learned something that certain indigenous people were aware of. ..................Salt in Appalachia?  Yep. Big time salt in a place that once was an ocean, namely West Virginia.

An interesting read here:  https://getpocket.com/explore/item/making-salt-from-an-ancient-underground-ocean?utm_source=pocket-newtab

MarcusA

Christ, you lost me from the beginning. I'm sorry, Dave, but is there a book for dummies that I can read? haha
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Tank

Dave unfortunately passed away a while ago. So if you get an answer please tell us!  ;D 
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

OK so we need Ice to make our margaritas, the ones with salt on the rim of the glass. Here is an interesting it about ice. A glacier that can and very well may fall into the sea, can raise sea level by two feet (0.6 meters).

https://www.noemamag.com/listening-to-the-big-ice-of-antarctica/

Dark Lightning

Thankfully it won't melt all at once!

MarcusA

As far as I am concerned, Asmo is the salt of the earth.

MarcusA

What does NASA stand for? Not As Silly As, stupid.

Icarus

MarcusA

Recusant

May be of practical use for some.

"Should you charge your phone overnight? Will 'overcharging' make it explode? Common battery myths debunked" | The Conversation

QuoteA number of factors determine a phone battery's lifespan, including its manufacturing age and its chemical age. The latter refers to the battery's gradual degradation due to variables such as fluctuations in temperature, charging and discharging patterns and overall usage.

Over time, the chemical ageing of lithium-ion batteries reduces charge capacity, battery lifespan and performance.

[. . .]

Research has found a 2019 smartphone battery could, on average, undergo 850 full charge/discharge cycles before dropping to below 80% capacity. This means only 80% of the initial battery capacity remains after about two to three years of use. At this point the battery begins to deplete noticeably faster.

Most new-generation smartphones will take somewhere between 30 minutes and two hours to charge fully.

Charging times vary depending on your device's battery capacity – larger capacities require more time – as well as how much power your charger supplies.

Charging your phone overnight is not only unnecessary, it also accelerates battery ageing. Full charging cycles (going from 0%–100%) should be avoided to maximise your battery's lifespan.

Similarly, keeping iPhones at full charge for extended periods may compromise their battery health.

Rather than a full top-up, it's recommended to charge your battery up to 80% and not allow it to dip under 20%.

In theory, lithium-ion batteries can be overcharged. This can lead to safety risks such as the battery overheating and catching fire. The good news is most modern phones have an in-built protection that automatically stops the battery from charging further than 100% – preventing any damage from overcharging.

However, each time a battery drops to 99% (due to apps running in the background) it will "trickle charge": it will start charging again to maintain a fully charged state.

Trickle charging can wear a battery down over time. That's why many manufacturers have features to regulate it. Apple's iPhones offer functionality to delay charging past 80%. Samsung's Galaxy phones provide the option to cap the charge at 85%.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.