News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

How Britons welcomed black soldiers during WWII...

Started by Tank, July 25, 2020, 06:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Britons behaved in a sensible and appropriate manner.  The black soldiers were as likely to be killed in that war as the white American soldiers. The Negros were every bit as heroic when the chips were down.   Why were we ever not accounting for those simple truths? 

billy rubin

icarus, black, brown, and yellow people were simply obligated to the same responsibilities, but compensated at a lower rate.

the compensation refers to both pay and to simple recognition as human beings. it was because they held lower value as human beings among white decision makers.

like women today. i worked in tech writing companies in silicon valley in the 1980s and 1990s that paid women less than they paid men, for the same work. once i was told it was because

. . . the man has a family to take care of . . .

in spite of the fact that some of the women were sole breadwinners for families too.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."